Good morning Steamboat Today readers.
Read the eEdition. View the daily photo gallery with staff and reader photos. You also can follow news and updates throughout the day on Facebook and Twitter.
• The National Weather Service in Grand Junction has issued a winter storm warning for Steamboat Springs and the surrounding mountains through 6 p.m. Friday. Steamboat Springs under winter storm warning through Friday
• Those who deal with wildlife for a living have some great stories to tell. Mike Middleton is no exception. He retired in August after 33 years of chasing bears, working with ranchers and helping manage the largest elk herd in North America. Steamboat Springs wildlife officer ends storied career
• As Neeli Bendapudi explains, for businesses to be successful, they need to continue to innovate by truly understanding what their customers’ needs are. Registration open for Economic Summit 2013 in Steamboat Springs
• The Steamboat Springs High School cross-country team is hosting its first communitywide 3- and 5-kilometer runs, which will precede Friday's homecoming football game. Snow won't stop community cross-country 3K and 5K Friday
• The Vail Mountain School volleyball team staved off upset-minded Soroco, 25-22, 23-25, 25-18, 20-15, 15-10, on Thursday night in East Vail. Vail Mountain School spikers hold off Soroco
• On a chilling, snow-showered night, the Steamboat Springs High School soccer team lost to its rivals, Battle Mountain. The 3-2 loss put a dent in the Sailors' playoff hopes with three games remaining in the season. Battle Mountain again eludes Steamboat soccer
Community Agriculture Alliance: Colorado water law evolving
Dog's Eye View: No play pressure
Steamboat briefs: Nominees being accepted for annual Navigator Awards
The Record for Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013
• As the Steamboat Mountain Film Festival hits its 10th year, Mike Martin is starting to see the potential of the small festival he started a decade ago. Steamboat Mountain Film Festival gets started Friday
• It’s debatable what makes a quality mustache. Is it girth? Style? Is it the manly patch Tom Selleck made famous on "Magnum, P.I."? What’s not debatable is the growing success of the mustache-themed event held annually on the first Saturday in October. 7th annual Mustache Ride set for Saturday
• The amount of food we put away every day might make some feel guilty if they saw their pork chops or chicken nuggets up and moving around before they made their way to the dinner table. In the case of “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2,” it’s a lot harder than ever to look your meals squarely in the eye. The Bock’s Office: ‘Cloudy’ sequel consists of likable leftovers
First Friday Artwalk listings for Oct. 4