Good morning Steamboat Today readers.
Read the eEdition. View the daily photo gallery with staff and reader photos. You also can follow news and updates throughout the day on Facebook and Twitter.
• There’s encouraging news for aspiring entrants in this year’s Holiday Dessert Bake-Off hosted by the Steamboat Pilot & Today: Meghan McNamara — winner of back-to-back Community Choice Awards in 2011 and 2012 (as well as the Best Cake Award in 2010) — won’t defend her titles. Holiday Dessert Bake-Off deadline Friday, community tasting Monday
• United Way’s first $20K day last year was a success, and new Executive Director Kate Nowak continued the event Thursday at City Market. Routt County United Way works toward fundraising goal with $20K day
• The Steamboat Springs Planning Commission on Thursday chose to postpone considering amendments to the rules governing public notice until a proposed website is ready to review. Steamboat Planning Commission tables changes to public notice
• Two Hayden ballots that were not counted because there was something wrong with them, such as not being signed, will not affect the outcome of the Hayden School Board race nor will they trigger a recount. Hayden School Board race avoids recount
• Thursday was College Career Day at Soroco High School, and classrooms were filled with professional presenters from various career and educational opportunities. College Career Day at Soroco High School gives students crash course in various opportunities
• Steamboat's Sarah Coleman hopes her newest business venture, a destination fitness camp set in Steamboat Springs, is a hit. Steamboat Springs fitness camp hoping for nationwide appeal
Dog’s Eye View: Stop jumping on me!
Community Agriculture Alliance: Greening your holidays
Steamboat briefs: United Methodist Church hosts annual fundraiser Friday
The Record for Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2013
• The Chief Theater will host two nights of the new Warren Miller ski film, and proceeds will benefit the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club. New Warren Miller ski film to screen Friday, Saturday in Steamboat
• Christmas spirit is back with the 19th annual Festival of Trees fundraiser at the Tread of Pioneers Museum in downtown Steamboat Springs. The festival opens Saturday and runs through Nov. 25. Festival of Trees to open at Tread of Pioneers Museum on Saturday
• Since its inception, Sin City has been a haven for people making bad decisions that, with any luck, won’t impact their real lives. When you look at a movie like “Last Vegas” that way, it’s easier to understand what its actors were thinking when getting involved with it, but it’s still clear that no one was expecting a jackpot. The Bock’s Office: ‘Last Vegas’ is mostly a bust for prolific stars