The Record for Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2013

Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2013

Police, fire and ambulance calls

1:14 a.m. Steamboat Springs Police Department officers were called to a report of a minor in possession of alcohol in the 1400 block of Bob Adams Drive. A student at Colorado Mountain College reportedly was under the influence of alcohol. Residence staff found alcohol in his possession, and he was issued a citation.

1:49 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a suspicious vehicle in the 1300 block of Bob Adams Drive. Everything was fine.

4:39 a.m. Routt County Sheriff’s Office deputies were called to a report of a suspicious incident in the 57000 block of Golden Tide Place in Clark. A woman called to report people in her driveway and wanted deputies to check the area. Nothing was found.

8:38 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a vehicle complaint in the 2300 block of Apres Ski Way. Someone called to report that a truck was idling. Officers contacted the person, and he turned the truck off.

8:51 a.m. Officers were called to a report of an animal complaint in the 700 block of South Lincoln Avenue. A veterinary clinic received a report of a German shepherd and a large poodle running loose in the street. Animal Control officers were unable to locate the dogs.

10:23 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a civil complaint. A woman reported a custody dispute that was in the county. She was referred to the Routt County Sheriff’s Office.

12:34 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a lost cellphone in Steamboat Springs.

2:04 p.m. Deputies were called to a report of found property on Routt County Road 14. A motorized scooter was found, and the owner was contacted.

2:13 p.m. Deputies and officers were called to a report of a civil complaint in the 21000 block of Third Avenue in Milner.

2:55 p.m. Officers were called to a report of threats in the 800 block of Oak Street. St. John's Episcopal Cathedral in Denver received threats, and an extra patrol was requested at St. Paul Episcopal Church in Steamboat.

3:19 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a vehicle complaint at Ninth Street and Lincoln Avenue. A pickup was parked in traffic.

4:12 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a wallet found in the 2400 block of Lincoln Avenue.

4:51 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a civil complaint at Whitehaven Court. It was a custody dispute.

5:03 p.m. Deputies were called to a report of wallet found in Routt County. It was returned to its owner.

5:30 p.m. Deputies were called to a report of a vehicle complaint at mile marker 124 on U.S. Highway 40. Someone called to report that a truck had Sheetrock and ladders in the back that were unsecured. The truck was not found.

6:42 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a burglary in the 1300 block of Indian Trails. A person said prescription medication was taken from his or her home.

7:05 p.m. Deputies were called to perform a welfare check in the 21000 block of Third Avenue in Milner. Everything was fine.

11:29 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a drunken pedestrian in the 700 block of Lincoln Avenue. Officers contacted the woman, and sober friends took her home.

Comments

Harvey Lyon 1 year, 1 month ago

You know, and while warming up a truck on a cold morning has not been a problem around here, it does appear we have a lot of folks from Boulder moving into town.

Puting an engine under strain before its properly warmed up takes years off the life of the engine. If it has a turbo (makes it more fuel efficient) then the damage is even greater.

Where does Routt County, or our neighbors get off telling us we can't warm up our engines?

Its time we told these "we're perfect and we'll make you too" newbies to worry about themselves. And its time we explain to the Sheriff and COP that's the way we feel.

john bailey 1 year, 1 month ago

Steamboulder you say , Harvey ? can't be ? no way . My motor is older so it really takes awhile......wonder what DMB is doing right now? hula hula hula.~;0)

Harvey Lyon 1 year, 1 month ago

The same people who call this in, the Officials who direct and the Officers who respond and issue "warnings" are no different than the "Witch Burners" of young educated women in years gone buy (I hope). Maybe we should just get 50 people who agree with me, show up at a City Council Meeting and one by one explain our opinions to City Council and our beliefs that warming up trucks and hearding cats (last week a police response) are not what we believe our taxes should be used for. Figure we'll get out of there about 2AM. Do this a couple of weeks in a row and maybe they'll call the police who desire that new Palace.

john bailey 1 year, 1 month ago

i'll bring my pitchfork but I have to stop at the city limits. can't have no county influence on big xitty issues.....when my motor is warm ~;0)

Harvey Lyon 1 year, 1 month ago

John,

Our Shreiff sent a deputy to a "Cat at Large" call just last week. In Yampa. The felon kitty was rounded up and driven some 30 miles to the Animal Pound. Sure glad we bought them those new $100K SUVs with all the latest electronics and computers.

Clearly we either need someone to set some priorities or we need many less law enforcement. "Hearding Cats" and warming up trucks.......its time to reclaim our City and County.

john bailey 1 year, 1 month ago

well you know John them Yampa cats can be a lot meaner then them Nashville Cats from back east . heck , who knows they may have avoided some terrible troubles down there , for my friends and neighbors in Yampa. they might have caused a heap o trouble at the Royal , not getting served their favorite libation and all . lets wait for official report before we jump to conclusions. ....~;0) no tickets for hulainggg. right?

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Your engine has reached operating temperature within 2-3 minutes of starting, five at most, unless you have a problem, even on the coldest days -- as soon as the thermostat opens -- now it's ready for a full load -- and extended idling beyond that serves only to warm your cab and foul your spark plugs, along with our atmosphere. Long enough to bother the neighbors and for the cops to get there? Shame on you. Conscientious motorists, concerned with engine life, will install a block heater -- freeze-plug type best, inline okay -- so their engine is already warm in the morning, coincidentally giving their battery a break. I hear a big V-8, idling very nearby, for a half hour or more, often, and say what you will, I just shake my head, those dinosaurs ain't coming back. I'm not a Global Warming alarmist, but that can't help.

I'm not suggesting any anti-idling laws, we have enough of those, and who knows who faces what circumstance; I'm just suggesting a little common sense in your warmup policies.

mark hartless 1 year, 1 month ago

The idling of an engine is not the issue. The issue is that other people presume to know what's best for the induvidual who purchased the truck, the engine, the fuel, and the driveway in which it idles.

I could say "Rhys, your buzz is sufficient after two beers so you don't need a third, etc". I could say "Your viewing pleasure has been reached sufficiently after 3 quarters of football so you don't need to watch the 4th quarter."

Why not stop all the ski lift chairs until every seat is filled to maximum capacity before advancing it up the hill...especially when the boulder crowd is riding...?

The way to handle these little would-be Napoleans is to leave the truck running tomorrow when you get home from work and just let it idle ALL NIGHT LONG...

mark hartless 1 year, 1 month ago

"Nobody NEEDS to idle their truck for that long. Therefore there ought to be a law..."

That can be said about many things... Nobody NEEDS hotdogs, ski lifts, mountain bikes, beer, football, etc.

Eliminating electives that your fellow americans do not NEED seems clever to those who presume to order our society, and acceptable to the sheeple. However, the ramifications of such societal micro-management reach far beyond 21st century american's intellect.

Ask yourselves what favorite past-times, hobbys or activities YOU like which society might one day say are not "needed" before you presume to order another man's life. Do not give others the authority to crush another's freedoms until you understand that YOUR freedoms are somewhere on that SAME LIST...

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Yeah, it's all about your freedoms, Mark. Grab everything you can, and screw everybody else, it's the American Way. Go ahead, run your truck all night, prove your point, I'll feel real bad about that.

John Fielding 1 year, 1 month ago

There is a factor here not generally realized by people who don't live with severe cold. It is not the engine that needs a lot of warming for its function it is the windshield. When your breath forms ice on the inside of the glass, you cannot safely continue in motion, especially in low angle sunlight. Therefore you stop and:

A) wait for the engine to send hot air out the defroster vents, or

B) Turn off your motor (no idling!) and wait till spring

John Fielding 1 year, 1 month ago

Maybe he had just turned off his motor, to avoid idling?

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

I spent three winters with no heater whatsoever, including the famous 07-08 winter, when I lived in a travel trailer on a friend's property 11 miles out, up a mile of private drive. My heater core leaked, I had not the means nor desire to fix it -- those are a pain -- so I had it bypassed. Only cold air came out.

I didn't find glass to be a problem at all; it wouldn't steam up on the inside if you vented the side windows, and in fact scraping got much easier: If it never warmed up, the snow didn't melt on it, so it wasn't icy in the morning, and the flakes just flew off driving. The problem I found was ground fog -- that would freeze to the window, instantly obscuring your vision.

Have since replaced the heater core, and pending restoration of driving privileges, I can't wait to check out my new heater. I've got an inline water heater I might throw in too, if I can save the antifreeze. I love my truck, it's got to have a half a million miles on it, I know how to take care of it, and running it pointlessly ain't it.

John Fielding 1 year, 1 month ago

You're right Rhys, if you drive with the windows down that cold windshield is much less of a problem! (And if it is well below zero, there's not much ground fog either.)

john bailey 1 year, 1 month ago

at least knock the snow off the top of your vehicle, its not that cool.....HA

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

John -- Not all the way down, just an inch or so, enough to induce an air flow behind the windshield. And I rode the gondie every morning before it opened last year, was amazed how many cold mornings -- ten degrees or less -- accompanied ground fog south of town, down 131, right where I used to have to go -- sometimes it looked like a white lake, only the hills sticking above it.

As an aside -- I used to do a lot of highway miles, went through a number of windshields, the chips would spread -- until I clued in to the windshield repair stuff; I got the kind with the suction cup gizmo -- and that stuff is AMAZING!! It's best if you catch and treat the chip shortly after it happens, less time for water and stuff to get in there, or it makes its own adjustments... I have seen quarter-sized chips DISAPPEAR, only a tiny spot left -- never to return and spread again -- and THAT'S what kills windshields around here, when summer chips are aggravated by constant heating and chilling in the winter; that's when they spread clear across the windshield. My current windshield has 3 or 4 of those repairs in it -- each instead of a new windshield, at over $100. Deer whistles, glass repair, baling wire and duct tape: What else do you need?

john bailey 1 year, 1 month ago

a cordless drill? and a warm motor , my big truck won't fit in my big gay-rage that's for the Mrs. ~;0) no hulaing on the sidewalk....

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 1 month ago

Rhys, Thanks for the nudge. Got that small crack on the windshield repaired today so won't have to replace the windshield come spring

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Sure Dan, that'll save you a lot of money. I can't afford that insurance.

That big V-8 I spoke of, reminds me at this moment: The reason y'all warm up your vehicles forever, isn't because you're so concerned about mechanical longevity, so much as crawling into a nice 90-degree environment. Reminding me, VW buses used to have gas heaters in the back, fired by a glow plug, fed by a fuel line, got those things right toasty, without running the engine. Just seems such a waste, running that big motor, for the little heat you capture from it. I don't allow myself the luxury, fuel is too expensive; once the mandatory engine warmup occurs -- not the whole durn cab -- I'm outta there.

mark hartless 1 year, 1 month ago

Hos is it "screwing everybody else" to burn fuel I paid for in the vehicle I paid for?

What it IS is none of your business WHO burns WHAT of their own...

John Fielding 1 year, 1 month ago

Mark, I agree except in the sacrilege of burning plastic in a campfire. Or for that matter a smoldering trash barrel to windward.

mark hartless 1 year, 1 month ago

I walked up on a construction site years ago and there was a group of guys burning vinly siding scraps in a trash pile, along with 2x4's etc... and just standing around it. I said " you guys might want to re-consider burning that stuff AND ESPECIALLY inhaling it. They said REALLY??. They had no idea sucking vinyl fumes was a bad thing...

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 1 month ago

My best guess is most on this forum do not needlessly burn fuel in their vehicle just because they can. Really wouldn't make economic sense. How ever, it seems like we have bigger things to worry about then whether our neighbors are running their vehicle at idle for too long. It appears the "nanny state" mentality continues to grow and we being told what is best for us (no trans fats now) then allowing us to exercise our freedom of choice. If what person A is doing does not harm person B then what right does person B have to force person A to change their behavior. PS: Speaking of questionable habits, I have since it's onset and continue to drink TAB. Drag it back from visits to MN although I did find it at the King Soopers by Applejack's. Can't get TAB in Steamboat, wonder if it's available in Boulder.

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Must agree, Dan -- I couldn't care less how others waste their money; you don't see me dialing 911. I'm a live-and-let-live kind of guy. Still, I think it's rather selfish, to thoughtlessly spew hydrocarbons into the atmosphere for hours on end, merely for two minutes' comfort, until the truck warms up otherwise. You're not doing your vehicle any favors, letting it chug for nothing. But do what you want, don't matter to me.

Can't say about now, but I used to throw cases of Tab into Coke machines all over Denver and Boulder, have to assume it's still there. Back then Mr. Pibb was my thing, way better than Dr. Pepper, I could easily down a dozen cans, during the course of my route. Have since learned the carbonic acid is bad for your joints, the connective tissue, dropped it like a hot potato, except at work sometimes. Pibb rules!!

john bailey 1 year, 1 month ago

um, you can get to the big xitty in 2 minutes ? Rhys , what road you take? it takes me 25 . and your spewing the whole way.... how do I avoid that .? oh wise one. speaking of a wise one , I may need a consultation with my hula master soon. hum , wonder where he could be? nothing like a clear windshield on a cold day so I don't ram my truck up your back side, send ya in the ditch or something like that......hula hula ~;0)

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Wouldn't be the first time I've been attacked by rednecks in pickups. All that metal makes them think they're invincible.

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 1 month ago

Don't care how warm I am. Do care if I can see. 14 has wildlife and no shoulders. Will wait till windshield clears no matter how long it takes

john bailey 1 year, 1 month ago

Rhys, in no way am I attacking you , I like your point of view,. what I am saying is I like clear windows , all of them. not just the front one. I've seen too many peeps that can barely see out of a halfassed cleared front windshield , 2 feet of snow on the top and think its cool. well that's just wrong , right? i wear clothes for the outside work , don't need 90 degree temps in the cab. guess that meet up is out of the question now? I asked for one awhile back , you never got back to me. figured its time to meet the ones i'm typing to at least the ones that won't give me a beat down when I say hi to em and my hippie hair covers my neck but my face is red........ HULA away...~;0)

john bailey 1 year, 1 month ago

oopps sorry Dan , hit the wrong reply thingamagiggy

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year ago

No worries John. Just keep hulaing. Agree with you on clear windows. I have no interest in ending up in a ditch on 14 between 16 and 131

Bret Marx 1 year ago

I hope everyone isn't letting there cars warm up for more than 2 or 3 minutes with this -20 degree weather we are having now! Don't need to. The engine is at operating temperature by then. To quote Mark....jackwagons! Oh wait, it's only 30 seconds right? Haha

rhys jones 1 year ago

Heck, I've been warming up my boots all day. Nighttime too. I don't mean to say "entitled"...

[and let the carnage begin anew]

john bailey 1 year ago

I have it down to 45 minutes , Bret , that ok?

Bret Marx 1 year ago

Ooh, that's a little long John. I have some friends in Boulder I'll have come up and pay a visit to you to let you know how you are single handily destroying our environment with your excessive idling. Ha!