Occupants of overturned canoe found at nearby bar

Editor's note: This story has been updated to reflect that the incident happened Tuesday.

Law enforcement officials spent the better part of Tuesday evening trying to identify the owners of a capsized canoe that floated past Steamboat Campground.

Campers called 911 to report the overturned canoe and accompanying live jackets floating down the Yampa River at about 5:30 p.m.

Routt County Search and Rescue Incident Commander Delbert Bostock said they started searching at about 6:20 p.m. The group put in a raft and kayak at Walton Creek Road and Lincoln Avenue, he said. They floated down the river and picked up the rest of the group’s debris along with a dry bag.

Identification was found for members of the party in the dry bag, Bostock said. Law enforcement officials attempted to contact the individuals at their homes and locate their cars but were unsuccessful.

On a hunch, Bostock said, a Search and Rescue member decided to check Sunpie’s Bistro. The group later was located at about 9:30 p.m. across Yampa Street at Carl’s Tavern.

Other than being aware of the high water on the Yampa River, Bostock said, one thing people boating or rafting should do is write their names and phone numbers on items that might be lost when a craft capsizes.

Members of a group who’ve lost a raft or other items after falling out of a boat also can call Routt County dispatch at 970-879-1090 to let emergency responders know they’re not floating downriver with the rest of their things.

To reach Michael Schrantz, call 970-871-4206 or email mschrantz@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

Scott Wedel 1 year, 5 months ago

Since it is currently 8:15 pm then apparently the group will be found in another hour and quarter.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 5 months ago

Law enforcement officials spent the better part of Wednesday evening

From the police blotter, this appeared to have happened Tuesday evening.

rhys jones 1 year, 5 months ago

Hey, if your raft dumps you, where YOU gonna go?

jerry carlton 1 year, 5 months ago

Charge then for the search. Any one with an ounce of common sense would notify authorities of an empty canoe and debris floating down the river. If you can not chare for the search, give them a ticket for littering.

Rhys Just as the Rockies slump, suddenly 2 out of three from San Fran and Arizona!

rhys jones 1 year, 5 months ago

Jerry -- I will venture no opinion on charging them, though you are probably right. They were probably drunk already, to let a boat get away like that. Don't quote me on that either.

So have you got MLB TV? I don't, and that's the only place I could (not) find the Rockies yesterday, not even on KOA radio -- so they won the rubber match, eh? Great!! I love seeing a tight race in the NL West this far into the season; usually the Rockies are toast by now. The starting pitching can be widely variable, but the pen is great. Tulo's swinging the bat again, which can lead to fun... all in all, a great year so far. Here I go, getting my hopes up again.

And did you see the Pacers last night? To come back from huge deficits, time and again, into OT, then to lead by 1 with 2 seconds left -- then watch LeBron drive to the basket, uncontested... I liked Chuck's line later -- "I love my momma, but with two seconds left, I'm takin' her head off!!"

And now I can't resist my favorite Chuck line: "I wanna spank my momma for having me too soon."

jerry carlton 1 year, 5 months ago

Rhys I have medium level Comcast cable. Most games are televised on ROOT channel. channel 27. Yesterdays game was not televised for some reason they said the night before but I have already forgotten. It was an afternoon game and I saw they had won on 6 pm news. I did not watch the Heat but saw the finish on the news. Barkley is a hoot. The only thing funnier than his commentating is his golf swing.