Fred Schupner: Post office mistake

I was at the new post office yesterday to pick up mail and had several pieces to mail. I searched the post office for 40 minutes looking for a mail slot, and there was none to be found. I finally had to take the mail outside to the drive-up box to get it mailed. Good job Steamboat, you have to be the only post office in the states that does not have a place for customers to mail letters.

We got all of our P.O. boxes, original zip code and everything as promised, but it sure would be nice to be able to mail a letter from our new post office. The new post office is in no way connected to the old one. They both have their own separate entrances and exits.

Fred Schupner

Steamboat Springs

Comments

John St Pierre 1 year, 7 months ago

??? thats odd....its exactly where its always been.. right by the main doors to the counters!!!!

jerry carlton 1 year, 7 months ago

My question is Why would the Pilot print this? and I am usually supportive of our local paper.

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Jerry -- Except for comments from a gentleman named Robert, the forums have been devoid of informed and relevant content recently -- indeed, the babble has subsided considerably, though not totally -- making me suspect a conspiracy, as always -- you know anything about that?

You can't blame the Pilot for stirring the -- fire -- pot being old news by now. They wanted to jump-start the forums. I'm surprised we haven't been offered an expert opinion on this topic yet. Could there be ONE SUBJECT...?

Fred Schupner 1 year, 7 months ago

Congratulations Routt County Road and Bridge. I drive routt county road 14 nearly everyday from just outside of Oak Creek to Hwy 131, I have noticed the growing amount of pot holes, some getting dangerous. I went to Routt county Road and Bridge web sight and complained not expecting any response. Very much to my surprise all the potholes were fixed withing a week. This could have already been scheduled, but either way it was a very plesant surprise.

jerry carlton 1 year, 7 months ago

Rhys I had guessed elsewhere that the unnamed poster hits 98% of the subjects so maybe this is part of the 2%. Of course this has not disappeared from the popular stories box yet so there is still time. I have never seen a Lacrosse game live in my life but it would be GREAT if the Sailors beat Air Academy today. David versus Goliath!

Kevin Nerney 1 year, 7 months ago

Can I join? or is this an exclusive club. Jerry you don't know what you're missing. I have been involved in lacrosse since 1970 either as a player a coach or a referree. I think its the best sport out there, even though I like football I love lacrosse. This weekend while watching the Cornell-Maryland lacrosse game ESPN2 showed a clip of Frank Gifford from 1976 saying Lacrosse is the fastest growing game in the US. Later the announcer told a story about Howard Cosell asking Frank Gifford what was the most exciting game he had ever seen. Now I'm sure Frank must have witnessed plenty of great games in his day between his pro carreer and covering all different sports on Wide World of Sports and he answered "the Cornell -Maryland Lacrosse game 1976." There's a reason lacrosse is known as "the fastest game on two feet." Cornell won in overtime. Put it on your bucket list and catch a game live as soon as you can. Go Sailors

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Kevin -- I don't presume to make the rules -- not being my conspiracy -- but I believe this is one that transcends all party lines, including all walks, and we welcome all members. The main thing we ask is that you refrain from responding to obvious inane babbling from one relentless contributor, unless it is particularly egregious or self-serving, in which case we can occasionally forgive a breach.

I'll admit I am largely ignorant about lacrosse. To begin with, why does an Indian game have a French name? I'm so confused.

Kevin Nerney 1 year, 7 months ago

Unlike the sticks of today the orginial lacrosse sticks were made of wood. The handle, right side of the stick, and the top were all one piece and the left side was made of cat gut to make a finished basket as were. Well the shape of the wood looked similar to the shape of the staff that the french Bishops would carry. The french described the lacrosse stick as the cross,hence Lacrosse in its modern form.

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 7 months ago

Kevin, Great info on the naming of Lacrosse. That's the kind of info I appreciate seeing. Not the inane babbling of "he who must not be named" Thanks Dan

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Yeah thanks Kevin, that answers a question I have long wondered. But since I can't find time for college hoops, lacrosse has an uphill battle; TV contracts couldn't hurt.

I was chatting with another occasional forum participant today -- in person -- and we were chuckling over "he who must not be named" -- as if a name was necessary -- and it occurred to us we need a nickname for said person, for ease of reference. Several were suggested -- Fish, Egghead, to name a couple -- when it occurred to us we had taken on quite a challenge. Not only must this nickname be short and easily typed -- but it must be indicative of the character (Albert? Tweaker? YerWrong? IKnow?) see? The possibilities are ponderous.

It soon became apparent this job is bigger than the both of us. What if we picked wrong? How dare we presume to speak for the entire community? So we soon decided to open it up to the public (and assuming Jerry's permission, not that he's any rabble-rouser) by announcing a Name-The-Pest Contest. Submissions are welcome through this forum (any thread) and through reader support, the natural choice will surface and be approved.

As an added incentive, and at the winner's option, I will award the winner with two PBR's during Carl's Happy Hour; after that, you're on your own.

Let the Contest begin!!

jerry carlton 1 year, 7 months ago

Of course you are welcome Kevin. The bigger the conspiracy, the better I always say. This is growing like a wildfire. We now consist of me, Rhys, Dan, and Kevin and that only took 2 or 3 days. Great idea Rhys! With something this important, I may have to take a couple days to ponder over it and maybe do some type of study. Think I will see if Lacrosse game is on radio. Might be?

Kevin Nerney 1 year, 7 months ago

I was hoping today's lax game would be on radio but couldn't find it. The Men's NCAA quarterfinals are this weekend. Sat 12:30 and 3 and Sun noon and 2:30 Sat you can get it on ESPN2 and Sunday when Denver plays it's on ESPNU (which I don't get / so I have to watch it on the little computer screen at WatchESPN. My brain is hurting already trying to come up with a name but I'm thristing for those PBR's.

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 7 months ago

any word on how Sailors fared. would be great for Bob Heister to go out on top although 2 top rated teams are darn good. regardless good for the Sailors and congrats to Bob for all he has done for Lacrosse

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 7 months ago

might be too simple but how about AKA. sorry to see bulls lose. would have liked too see them beat up on Lebron and D. Wade for another game or 2

jerry carlton 1 year, 7 months ago

I came up with my idea quicker than I expected. My suggestion is THE GREATOZ but we will just use oz for short hand. Two letters and no caps. Only thing easier to type would be one letter with no cap. From the movie, I am sure everyone remembers what an inflated, pompous, blowhard THE GREAT OZ was. When Dorothy and the gang found out what oz was really about. Any resemblance between THE GREAT OZ or oz to any person living or dead is purely coincidental.

Kevin Nerney 1 year, 7 months ago

Unfortunately the Sailors are done for the season 6-4. Great job and Congrats to Bob Heister, I 'm positive the boys will remember what you have taught them for the rest of their lives, I know my son who played under you 5 years ago sure does. My bid for a name although not the final one I may submit is Al Kia. KIA just like the car although in this case a little know it all. I originally came up with Karnac(knows about really nothing anyone cares about) but I like Johnny Carson to much.

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Those are all good suggestions, each appropriate in its own respect... only problem I see is all those characters are too likeable. We need to find the right shade of curmudgeon along with it. Film and TV characters make good possibilities, while I was thinking more of animals and fish -- like BT, for Border Terrier, incorporating the worst traits of both of those breeds: It barks all the time, never rests, and has a nasty bite.

Jerry gets preference, he being the lead conspirator, and his oz ain't too bad, if too friendly... I would hope we would reach a consensus; when the right choice is submitted all will hopefully agree... and I think the field is still open.

That said, the moniker that has been rattling around my head is "Barney." Thanks to syndication, I think little explanation is necessary. Eh? Even that is gratuitous, but it's the closest I have come to date. I'll still be mulling the matter, I LOVE words and realize all might not agree... but I can just see ol' Barney stewing away in Oak Creek...

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Fortunately I have no actual mentai image of the nameless person, but he reminds me of people I have known, when I was MUCH younger, so I'm sure the attributes I assign are much better than reality. Good thing, or that too might affect my offerings (ie, Barney might be a step UP).

jerry carlton 1 year, 7 months ago

Kind of fun to have something to talk about besides pot, guns, and sports.

john bailey 1 year, 7 months ago

" less than zero" keeps bouncing off my cranium wall today for some reason. hum!!!! hula any one?~;0)

Bob Smith 1 year, 7 months ago

Latigo Ranch was founded as a dude ranch in Grand County, Colorado by Frederick Kasdorf, Jr. It was originally named Snowshoe Ranch. Kasdorf single-handedly built the Main Log Lodge in 1923 soon after he and his wife arrived (by covered wagon from Denver) to homestead in the Kremmling area. He built up and ran the 550-acre (2.2 km2) Snowshoe Dude Ranch for over 30 years.