2013 Sailors baseball schedule
- March 16: Hotchkiss 5, Steamboat 4
- March 25: Rifle 8, Steamboat 5
- March 30: Steamboat 4, Eagle Valley 2; Eagle Valley 3, Steamboat 0
- April 6: Steamboat 21, Battle Mountain 10; Steamboat 13, Battle Mountain 3
- April 9: Delta 21, Steamboat 7
- April 13: Palisade 10, Steamboat 1; Palisade 18, Steamboat 8
- April 25: Delta 11, Steamboat 0 at Rifle
- May 2: Rifle 9, Steamboat 2
- May 4: Steamboat 9, Summit 2; Steamboat 12, Summit 4
- May 7: 4 p.m. vs. Glenwood Springs
Five strong innings on the mound by Danny Bartels put Rifle High School’s baseball team in a position to win Monday. Two strong innings by the Steamboat Springs Sailors’ lineup made the game interesting.
Bartels escaped a stingy Sailors lineup, finishing with 15 strikeouts and just one walk despite a three-run seventh inning by Steamboat in the Bears’ 8-5 Class 4A Western Slope League victory at Deerfield Park in Rifle on Monday.
“I was just hitting spots, really,” said Bartels, who earned all-state recognition while pitching in Class 3A last season. “I was able to hit the outside corner low and outside consistently and the curveball was right where I wanted it every pitch.
“Those other innings, I was hitting spots,” the senior righthander continued. “They were just getting hits that were, well, frustrating. They weren’t really hit hard, but you can’t really do anything about those.”
Bartels allowed just two earned runs in all and twice had the Sailors down to their final strike in the top of the seventh inning. But after Koby Bishop’s RBI single after a bases-loaded error allowed two runs to score, Bartels struck out Matt Regan looking to close out the game.
Read the full story at the Glenwood Post Independent website.