2013 Sailors baseball schedule
- March 16: Hotchkiss 5, Steamboat 4
- March 25: Rifle 8, Steamboat 5
- March 30: Steamboat 4, Eagle Valley 2; Eagle Valley 3, Steamboat 0
- April 6: Steamboat 21, Battle Mountain 10; Steamboat 13, Battle Mountain 3
- April 9: Delta 21, Steamboat 7
- April 13: Palisade 10, Steamboat 1; Palisade 18, Steamboat 8
- April 25: Delta 11, Steamboat 0 at Rifle
- May 2: Rifle 9, Steamboat 2
- May 4: Steamboat 9, Summit 2; Steamboat 12, Summit 4
- May 7: 4 p.m. vs. Glenwood Springs
Steamboat Springs The Steamboat Springs High School boys baseball team surrendered a late lead Saturday, falling in extra innings for the second time in two days.
Steamboat took a 4-0 lead into the top of the seventh inning against Hotchkiss before a barrage of errors led to a 5-4 loss in eight innings.
“All in all, it’s a bitter loss, but we learned a lot about ourselves,” manager Dave Roy said.
Steamboat’s Jesse Pugh pitched 7 1/3 innings and had given up just three singles while striking out five prior to the seventh inning. But the Sailors couldn’t close the door in the seventh.
Hotchkiss scored four runs, only two of which were earned.
Steamboat scored two in the first inning on a two-run single from Billy Clark. The Sailors added another in the third on an RBI single from Matt Regan and one more in the sixth on a sacrifice fly from Pugh.
Steamboat (1-2) next plays a doubleheader at 11 a.m. Saturday at Rifle.
“We’re bringing back a lot of positives,” Roy said. “We just need to learn to finish.”
To reach Luke Graham, call 970-871-4229 or email lgraham@SteamboatToday.com