Steamboat Ski Area announces pass prices for 2013-14 ski season

— Steamboat Ski Area on Wednesday announced its season pass prices for the 2013-14 ski season.

Season passes for adults 18 to 69 have increased $20 to $979 if purchased by June 1. The 2.1 percent increase from the 2012-13 adult season pass rate is the largest increase in pass prices for next season. It's also smaller than the 3.2 percent increase on adult season passes from the 2011-12 to 2012-13 seasons.

Season pass prices for teens 13 to 17 and seniors 70 and older also will see a slight increase. Both will be $10 more next ski season for a total of $539 for teens and $429 for seniors if purchased by June 1.

Ski passes for children 6 to 12 will remain the same at $299 if purchased by the early deadline.

To take advantage of the early pass prices, a deposit of $99 is due by June 1 with full payment due by Sept. 16.

After June 1, adult season passes will be $1,089 through Sept. 2, a $110 increase. Passes for teens will increase $110 to a total of $649, children's passes will increase $60 to $359 and seniors' passes will bump up $70 to $499.

Season pass prices will increase again after the Sept. 3 deadline.

For the 28th season, parents or legal guardians who purchase an adult season pass will receive one free children's season pass that can be used by a child younger than 13.

All season pass holders can purchase a Winter Park Resort upgrade for $50 by June 1 or $75 thereafter. The upgrade allows pass holders unrestricted skiing and riding at Winter Park.

Season pass holders also have the option to buy eight discounted lift tickets for friends and family. Four tickets can be purchased during the early and late seasons (before Dec. 21 and after March 31) for $59 a day, and four lift tickets can be purchased during the heart of the ski season for $79 a day.

6- and 15-day passes

Again next season the ski area will offer six- and 15-day passes.

The six-day pass is available at a discounted rate of $419 — a decrease from the 2012-13 early rate — through April 15. It increases to $449 from April 16 to June 1, to $479 from June 2 to Sept. 2 and to $499 on Sept. 3 and beyond.

Additional days can be purchased for the six-day pass for $55 per day through the end of the ski season.

The 15-day pass price has been set at $729 if purchased by June 1. The rate is a $10 increase from the 2012-13 rate. The pass increases to $939 after June 1.

Additional days can be purchased for the 15-day pass for $45 per day through the end of the ski season.

First Tracks passes

First Tracks passes can be added to any season pass for $269. First Tracks allows pass holders to board the gondola from 8 to 8:15 a.m. and access terrain from the Sundown Express, Sunshine Express and South Peak lifts.

For more information or to purchase Steamboat passes, go to www.steamboat.com or call Steamboat Central Reservations at 970-879-0740.

Rocky Mountain passes

Also announced Wednesday were prices for the Rocky Mountain Super Pass Plus, which includes unlimited skiing and riding at Winter Park and Copper Mountain, six days at Steamboat and three days at Monarch Mountain. The pass is $419 through April 15 and increases to $489 thereafter.

The early $419 price matches the early pricing for Steamboat's six-day pass and provides the same number of ski days at Steamboat Ski Area. The Rocky Mountain pass offers additional days at Winter Park, Copper and Monarch but does not allow pass holders to purchase additional days at Steamboat.

Rocky Mountain passes are available at www.skicolorado.com or by calling 800-977-7669

Steamboat Ski Area 2013-14 pass prices

To reach Nicole Miller, call 970-871-4246 or email nmiller@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

Melanie Turek 1 year, 1 month ago

I've never understood why ski companies give a significant discount to seniors but not to teens (in this case, the teen pass is considerably more expensive than the senior pass). Seniors will ski for however many more years and then, you know, die. Teens could conceivably fall in love with the sport and ski for another 60 years.

George Fargo 1 year, 1 month ago

The word "senior" as applied to a ski pass is not very accurate. They give a discount to 70 year olds. I have been a senior for many years, but I still have to wait a few more to get a discount.

Dan Hill 1 year, 1 month ago

Melanie, in case you haven't noticed, the entire country is run on the principle of transfering money from young people to old people. Today's teens are tomorrow's taxpayers, the ones who are going to get stuck with the bill for our current profligacy. They may as well start getting used to it!

jerry carlton 1 year, 1 month ago

Well Dan, this country took my money for 51 years for Social Security before they started giving it back to me. You explain to me why I should not get any of it back.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 1 month ago

Ski area is in business to make money and thus maximize the selling of lift tickets without causing the ski area to seem full or have long lines which would discourage walk up ticket sales.

Presumably, the ski area's usage statistics shows that seniors don't ski spend as much time skiing as others. And with lower ticket prices they sell a bunch and still make good money.

Presumably, the ski area sees that teens ski more than seniors and also has data showing how much they can charge before they won't sell enough lift tickets to maximize their profits.

I think a risk to the ski area is that some rich local will give $10M or such to expand Howelson as an affordable ski area for locals.

James Earley, MCSE 1 year, 1 month ago

How come when locals are complaining about pass prices the Forest Service cut per skier day is never mentioned?

Scott Wedel 1 year, 1 month ago

Looks like Forest Services gets about 2.5% of ski area revenues with a huge number of adjustments on how to calculate revenues.

mark hartless 1 year, 1 month ago

Jerry,

Mainly, you shouldn't get any of that money back because it was spent by Uncle Scam on things that enriched your life all along the way. In a sense, you already DID get it back... and then some... hence the $16.6 trillion current deficit.

And no, I'm not actually suggesting you are not owed the money... just saying...

cindy constantine 1 year, 1 month ago

Mark aka Sled,

Maybe its the margs, but you really make me laugh out loud with some of your comments . . . .

mark hartless 1 year, 1 month ago

Thanks Cindy. That's why I make the big bucks...

jerry carlton 1 year, 1 month ago

Mark, So the money that was supposed to go into the Social Security Trust Fund was Sent overseas as foreign aid, spent to support a lavish retirement and gold plated health care for every thief that was president and in congress since 1950. Those are the wonderful benefits that the federal government has provided me with? Thanks for enlightening me.

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

I would like to announce my candidacy for Congress -- Senate, House, whatever you good people decide. I'll take care of you. Spend your money wisely. Just write me in under the other guys.

jerry carlton 1 year, 1 month ago

Rhys I would take you up on that but I have deciced to vote for George Karl for all of the above. With what he is getting out of a team with no superstars, I think he deserves to move up in the food chain. He can really use the Gold Plated Health Benefits having had cancer once. 93 here as I write but 77 in the house.

mark hartless 1 year, 1 month ago

Rhys,

I probably would vote for you over the choices I've been presented with over the last few election cycles.

Frankly, 500 random names out of the phone book or even 17 crack-smoking monkeys from the university lab could do better than what we have right now.

Jerry,

The money that was supposed to go into the trust fund went to all sorts of DOMESTIC social welfare programns as well. Your (our) generation has seen tremendous aadvances in its living standards that it would not have enjoyed if it had paid cash as it went... kind of like getting the mansion and passing most of the mortgage on to the kids and grandkids.

Im not saying that you personally intended or wanted that to happen, but if you do not think that is what happened you are seriously fooling yourself.

Say I owned a ranch that never quite produced enough hay or cattle, or crops, or whatever to be profitable. So every year I went to the bank and took out a little loan on the place. Not much-just a hundred grand or so. If I put that hundred grand to good use around the farm I could continue to spruce the place up a bit every year. Heck, to the average passer-by the place would appear to be a fine, well-run, profitable operation. In fact, other people might be so impressed with the ranches appearance that they might want to own it themselves, but when they look at the books and see all those bank payments comming due they realize how the ole' rancher kept things lookin' so good.

That's EXACTLY the kind of operation Uncle Scam is running, and at least 51% of Americans vote for more of it over and over and over and over and over and...

jerry carlton 1 year, 1 month ago

Mark I bought my first stock when I was 14 years old. That was 54 years ago. It was with money I made mowing yards. If the money that I put into Social Security and that my employers put into Social Security for my benefit had gone into any well managed mutual fund, I would be a multi millionaire. As it is I am very comfortable today. Take away my Social Security and my wifes and we would survive but be living on the edge of poverty. I will not accept that from you or the pack of thieves in the Federal Government or any one else. It does not matter who any one votes for, and I do vote. 99% of them are in it for what they can get for themselves. I do have children and grand children but I doubt they will be paying off the national debt. This country will collapse into anarchy before then. In the mean time, I just keep putting one foot in front of the other.