Carl Nordquist: Douglas got it right

Rob Douglas hit the nail on the head in his column about city of Steamboat Springs budgeting changes proposed by Councilwoman Sonja Macys (“Rob Douglas: ‘Leaving Money on the Table,’” Friday Steamboat Today). My wife and I are, as of this year, permanent residents of beautiful Colorado. We fled California not only because we love it here, but also because of a dysfunctional state government that has and still is practicing the same budgeting policies proposed by Macys. The worst-run state in the nation has been brought to near bankruptcy by budgeting polices that addressed perceived needs or wants without regard to the reality of revenue. The definition of “funds left on the table” as proposed by Macys is, I feel, better defined as what more taxes can be obtained from all of us. I have hope that we can function responsibly as a city government as we all do as responsible families.

Carl Nordquist

Steamboat Springs

Comments

jerry carlton 1 year, 5 months ago

I have been here 16 years on Sept 1, and I am sorry to say that Colorado is becoming more like California every year. I do not think it will ever obtain the level California has as the federal government will drag us all down before then. It is amazing to me that there has been no uproar over Macy's statements. Just shows that the general public does not care how much of their money the various levels of government take or they are just not paying attention. People from Illinois might debate with you which is the worst run state but California and Illinois are definitely the top two.

john bailey 1 year, 5 months ago

more than half my life here, Jerry, to see whats happened even on the front range is not what I envisioned.at least I chose Routt instead of Summit county. rather wise move , don't ya say. can you imagine?..........~;0) oh, and welcome to Colorado, Carl, and thank you for leaving the Cali mindset behind. I hope you did! ;)

jerry carlton 1 year, 5 months ago

John You definitely chose the right county. I lived in Unincorporated Arapahoe County {now Centennial} about 30 years ago when it was fairly liveable. Glad I am not there now. Meeker is looking good to me now but I could never get the wife there.

Fred Duckels 1 year, 5 months ago

I started blogging in 07 over the traffic debacle, at that time it was wall to wall lefties and their charges running things. Fortunately they don't have the courage to blog much anymore with their track record on display.

rhys jones 1 year, 5 months ago

I was just a little kid in Denver, when we had the Bears baseball, and before the Broncos came to town... squealed my tires on Vail Pass when it was still 2 lanes... learned to ski with Spademan bindings. Never crossed Rabbit Ears til '85, however, for my new video job. Moved away four times, for good each time... moved back four times, always within a year.

I spent a great summer in junior high on a ranch in northern Idaho, and that sure is beautiful country, every bit of Colorado, and then some... was through there ten or fifteen years ago; it was holding up well then -- still like Colorado in the 60's. Sparse traffic on the highways. Two lanes most everywhere, with mandatory pullouts for those obstructing traffic.

Jackson Hole gets 200" more of snow than the 'Boat, but it's not fluff, it gets wind-packed real fast; the wind just HOWLS through there, constantly... but I've never had the pleasure of visiting Grand Targhee, on the other side of that range, in Idaho... anybody got word on the wind conditions there?

Pagosa Springs CO in still quaint, and in striking country.

I'm just saying, there's a LOT of nice places, good people everywhere... then there's Texas.

Neil O'Keeffe 1 year, 5 months ago

Spademan, you sound old enough for Cubcos or Cables which is what I got started on and I think I share your sentiment about Texas with the exception of Austin. In response to someone's comments about the Lefties that don't blog much anymore, maybe its because trying to have a discussion with a wall tends to get a bit boring and monotonous.

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 5 months ago

Rhys, Grand Targhee is awesome - great bowl skiing - but gets boring after a few days. As I recall they do have snow cat skiing for a change of pace. Pagosa Springs - great and Wolf Creek for skiing. Hope they survive the current fire Neil - there you go again throwing names against anybody that may not agree with you. Nice way to have a dialogue.