Steamboat Today expands online partnership with Google

— Beginning Wednesday, users of SteamboatToday.com will see something a little different.

Steamboat Today has expanded its partnership with Google in an innovative effort to provide an alternative to subscription-based websites. When users visit pages on SteamboatToday.com, they will see some of the content, but to view all content, readers first will be asked to answer a simple survey question such as, “Do you drink soda?” or to share the content on a social media site such as Facebook or Twitter.

By performing either of these actions, all content will appear. The survey question will be displayed only on the first page the reader views.

Users will be asked to answer only one survey every 24 hours. All surveys will be anonymous, and Google will not use any data collected for its own ad targeting. Revenue from the surveys will aid in our efforts to keep SteamboatToday.com an advertiser-funded website with content that is free to readers.

Those who have questions or comments about the surveys can direct them to General Manager Scott Stanford at 970-871-4202 or sstanford@SteamboatToday.com.

Comments

walt jones 10 months ago

Seriously?? Cmon guys. That is as bad as all the video advertisements playing while you're reading an article on some web pages and also like all the ad "bugs" that cover 1/3 of the screen when you're watching a tv show.

George Fargo 10 months ago

And it messes up the "Back" button, making it harder to navigate.

Scott Wedel 10 months ago

Well, best way to eventually get rid of those questions is for the data to be completely useless. I never give accurate information to any survey. Generally, I give the worse possible answer for the site of never buying anything, never recognized any ads, are part of an undesirable demographics and so on.

Want to know something about me? I give bad answers to questions.

bill schurman 10 months ago

What a crazy idea. My good friend, Dee Richards, would be horrified with the use of this gimmick. Shame on you.

David Moore 10 months ago

What if one does not have a facebook or twitter account?

Kevin Nerney 10 months ago

Well now that the blogs are relatively devoid of controversy due to the ban on you know who and the paper is changing as well I guess I'll have to go back to reading the big city papers. It's rare I pick up a hard copy of this paper. Guess they should go the way of all the other print tabloids and just disappear.

Brian Kotowski 10 months ago

Not sure I understand the self-righteous indignation. Many papers (the Craig Daily Press, for example) deny access to their online product absent a subscription. In an era of declining readership & revenue, publishers would be irresponsible not to explore other revenue streams. Those who whine about clicking on some stupid survey sound very much like whiners, with all due respect.

David Moore: if you read the article completely, you'll note that if the fb/twitter option is unavailable/undesirable, you respond to the cheesy survey question.

Dan Kuechenmeister 10 months ago

Live 1.5 miles to a blue box. 3 mile round trip walk is great exercise. Does Google give our data to NSA? Heeheehee.

walt jones 10 months ago

Brian

What are you talking about regarding the Craig Daily Press denying access to online site?? I read it everyday and don't have a subscription. Check it out.

Brian Kotowski 10 months ago

Walt -

They must've changed the policy. Thanks for the heads up.

John Fielding 10 months ago

How about a subscription fee that would allow access to an advertisement free site?

Brian Kotowski 10 months ago

John -

That's a great idea. I subscribe to a streaming radio site that allows me to listen sans commercials. $50/year, for that service. Sounds like an opportunity for the Pilot to make a little extra coin.

David Moore 10 months ago

OK, thanks Brian, was mildly confused. The Craig Daily Press has a new editor who realized that charging people for online content was not such a good idea. The site is completely free once again.

Richard Hagins 10 months ago

After answering the questions to read this article and I was leary about "One time every 24 hours." I decided to open all of the articles in new tabs.. The survey questions appeared in10 out of the 20 articles under "Latest News." There are still some bugs to work out. My browser is Firefox.