The Record for June 16, 2013

Sunday, June 16

1:39 a.m. Steamboat Springs Police Department officers were called to a report of a fight in the 700 block of Lincoln Avenue. Officers escorted people off the premises.

8:04 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a cellphone found in the 700 block of Yampa Street. It was returned to its owner.

9:51 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a wallet found on Yampa River Core Trail. It was returned to its owner.

10:35 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a two-car, noninjury crash at Seventh Street and Lincoln Avenue. A car opened its door into another car that was passing. The person who opened the door was issued a citation.

4:16 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a two-car, noninjury crash in the 700 block of Marketplace Plaza. A truck backed into another car.

7:22 p.m. Routt County Sheriff’s Office deputies were called to a report of an animal bite on Anchor Way.

8:07 p.m. Deputies were called to a report of a theft in the 67000 block of Routt County Road 129. No other information was available.

11:25 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a suspicious car in the 1900 block of Curve Court. It was an electrician working on lights.

Comments

Carrie Requist 1 year, 1 month ago

Perhaps this was the goal when they re-paved and re-striped Lincoln, but the lanes, including the parking lanes are just too narrow. After having my driver's side mirror knocked off my car shortly after Lincoln reopened, I will no longer park there and I try to avoid driving in the right lane when on Lincoln. I see lots of cars on Lincoln driving over to the left (over the white line into the left lane if they are in the right lane or over into the middle if they are in the left lane). The city buses just take up a lane and a half when they drive down Lincoln. If you park on Lincoln and pull in your mirrors, then it is very difficult to see oncoming cars and determine when it is safe to open your door. And it is really hard to get back into your car when the traffic is streaming by so close. I am not surprised to see that a person opened their door into a passing car since the street is now just set up for these kinds of fender benders. Too bad that all the lines were set in the concrete without the width being done right. Just doesn't seem like there is a solution for this and it really screws up our main street.

Kevin Nerney 1 year, 1 month ago

Carrie-- there is always a solution and it always includes more money. An old saying in construction is "There's never time to do it right but always time to do it over."

jerry carlton 1 year, 1 month ago

I have not seen bus drivers taking a lane and a half. When I drove city bus about 10 years ago we were taught to put our front wheel on the white line or slightly over that line. There simply is not enough space to keep that bus in the right lane. There are several simple things that would help the situation at very little cost but I am absolutely certain no one has the political will to implement them. First eliminate parking on Lincoln. Then lower the speed limit thru the downtown area to 15 mph. I will not hold my breath waiting for either of those.

Carrie Requist 1 year, 1 month ago

Over the white line is a land and a half to me. At that point, I don't want to be next to the bus and I certainly won't try to pass the bus, so effectively the bus is taking both lanes, which is fine since the bus is too wide for the lane. And that is my whole point - they were painted too narrow. As for eliminating parking on Lincoln, that's what I am doing myself and I agree that would solve the problem, but then the issue of parking downtown will really need to be dealt with.

walt jones 1 year, 1 month ago

And the god awful bump outs at each intersection are ridiculous. Watch any car turn and they swing left befor turning right.

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Oh goodie, another forum I can poach and take off-topic, if only slightly.

Speaking of Lincoln Ave, I think of the sidewalks as much as the streets -- specifically, bicyclists and skateboarders threatening pedestrians. I have forced some to dismount on the sidewalk, been tempted to derail more, but I ain't no cop. I won't go out of my way, but if they're coming at me, hey... Street or sidewalk, Lincoln is no place to ride your board or bike; I suggest the alleys, Oak, or Yampa. Wait 'til some hippie rides into Grandma with an armload of packages, before you do anything about it.

Now the downtown merchants are dreaming up ways to drum up business, giving me excuse to drag out an old drum of my own: Shut down Lincoln, make it a pedestrian mall, with benches, trees, gardens, walkways, little gazebo shops, wagon hot-dog vendors... get that damn highway OUT OF THERE, I don't care where you run it. The outdoor seating as it currently exists comes with a price, big rigs spewing diesel in your face, not to mention the noise...

I would look at any money spent rerouting 40 as money well-spent, in this town's future. But try to keep it off Yampa, okay?

jerry carlton 1 year, 1 month ago

Carrie You should try driving the bus as I did 10 years ago. Maybe then you would have a little more empathy for what is a tough job in the winter. What about reducing the speed limit to 15 mph?

Rhys I agree wholeheartedly with you about bicyclists and skateboarders on the sidewalk. There are signs saying no to both downtown but there is no enforcement. My wife and I just encountered 4 bicyclists on the sidewalk downtown today. A family of tourists undoubtedly so I kept my mouth shut. ENFORCEMENT of all bicycle laws in this county is sorely lacking. I ride a mtn bike and my wife and I ride a tandem but not on sidewalks and we do not blow through stop signs at 25 mph in the downtown area. Hope the Rockies get the bats going today!

Carrie Requist 1 year, 1 month ago

Not sure of what part of what I said indicated that I don't have empathy for the bus drivers. It is not the bus driver's fault that the bus doesn't fit in the lane.

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 1 month ago

bicycles, skateboards, pedestrians and now sandwich boards. May have to start wearing a helmet to shop on Lincoln. Oh wait I don't need to shop on Lincoln.

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Jerry -- Guess the Rocks couldn't figure out their ex-pitcher Rogers. Bummer, eh?

Did you see the NBA Finals just now? So Ginobelli is driving the basket, down one point in OT, seconds to go -- gets fouled, which doesn't get called -- making up for the travel he just committed (all the stars get an extra step)(as with LeBron moments earlier) the refs have made a farce of the game we love, whether out of stupidity, blindness, or greed.

Dan -- You're right, there is little reason to be on the Lincoln sidewalks -- between the bus stop and the next street is the main thing which comes to mind. Then the alleys are much faster, even for hoofing it: Much wider, mostly deserted, and no lights at the intersections. I try to avoid the gaggle at every opportunity.

mark hartless 1 year, 1 month ago

The bus is NOT too wide for 1 lane. DOT regs and standards apply, and the lanes conform, as do the busses and anything else without a "wide-load" or "oversized load" placard.

Start writing tickets with stiff fines for any vehicle parked more than 6" from the sidewalk/curb.

Bottom line is the sidawalks are too close together for a street like Lincoln Av.; the town should be by-passed but the pollitical will and funding is not there... and the logistical challenges just get worse the longer it is delayed.

jerry carlton 1 year, 1 month ago

Carrie How about lowering speed limit to 15 MPH?

Rhys Rocks are not doing too well in Toronto. Interesting how the Padres have come on. Won 7 in a row. Makes me feel a little better about the series that the Rocks lost to them here. Yes, I saw the end to the game last night. I agree with your analysis. At least they did check the tying 3 pointer to see if it was a 3 pointer at the end of regulation.

Mark Technically you probably correct. Practically. you try going down Lincoln completely in the right lane in a bus and you will clipping mirrors regularly. How about doing away with left turns off Lincoln,eliminate the center lane and widen the remaining 4 lanes?

walt jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Gotta agree with Jerry on getting rid of the left turn signals. They are now on every street and back up traffic even more since they activate for the turn only. In bigger cities the turn arrow activates with the green lights still on in one direction and red for the other direction and alternate.

David Moore 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't normally get into Steamboat stuff, I am not a resident but I work and play there so here is my 2 pennies. -Eliminate the center lane and parking along the downtown stretch. -Build a multilevel parking garage to alleviate the parking issue. I always thought the lot between Oak and Lincoln and 8th & 9th streets would be a great place as it is quite large. It can be six or seven stories high to accommodate quite a few vehicles. The spot where the mobile home park used to be, south of Lincoln off 4th could house a smaller structure, just a thought. -A bypass would be the best solution, but there does not seem to be a feasible route without tearing up mountains and other prized places. -A pedestrian mall would be ideal, but the where is the traffic going to be re-routed to? -Then there is the cost, which I have no solution to. Seems Steamboat is in a rut, and with these sandwich boards clogging up an already crowded sidewalk, it is going to get worse. The outdoor seating is bad enough. I think I'll take Mr. Jones advice and start using the alleys.

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Get US 40 off of Lincoln. Make it a pedestrian mall. Like Aspen did decades ago.

Would a citizen initiative -- petition, to the effect of "We the undersigned, desire that US 40 be relocated from Lincoln Ave in Steamboat Springs CO, from 3rd to 11th streets at least, to anywhere else, but not Yampa, by whatever means available, and by next week" (or similar words, I am not a lawyer) upon approval, not automatically kick in Federal Highway funds?

Let the Feds, subsidize the Peds!!

Who wants to ring bells at City Market?

Mark Ruckman 1 year, 1 month ago

I went by the accident after it happened. The driver was older (70's), he was driving a car without folding mirrors. My observation at the time was he likely didn't check his mirrors before opening his door. It happens. That is why they call it an accident.

As I was driving down Lincoln today I was thinking about those who think the turns lanes should be eliminated. Between 4th and 8th there were a lot of cars sitting in the turn lanes. I laughed thinking about those who complain and state we don't need turn lanes, I suspect the would be the first to complain if they were stuck on Lincoln (without turn lanes) behind someone waiting to turn.

John Fielding 1 year, 1 month ago

OK, I won't get into the bypass debate, but here are a couple of of observations.

A blanket ban on bicycles on the sidewalks is not reasonable. Children must certainly be exempted. I instruct mine not to ride on Lincoln under any circumstances, and believe riders under 16 should be forbidden to ride in traffic on Lincoln.

The bump outs actually create more hazards for many pedestrians, as they often stand right at the edge of them, much closer to traffic than before, and subject to conflict from turning vehicles with long wheel bases.

The bump outs into the side streets constrict the lanes to the point that drivers no longer recognize the fact that two lanes are indicated by the two lights. Hence people turning left do not leave room for cars turning right to get by them. The situation is exacerbated by the fact that the stop line only goes half way across the street, not matching the lights that go two thirds across. Hanging a sign between the stop lights would be a simple & inexpensive way to help correct the problem. But don't hold your breath, one of the senior City engineers told me he deliberately takes the middle so no one can turn right, thinks it should be one lane.

Now about where to re-route all that traffic......

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Simple. The bypass takes off near 7-11, runs north up that wasted hillside, behind the college -- portions are elevated, as it skirts the north side of town, to rejoin the original highway before Hilltop, utilizing that hillside behind the downtown hot springs...

Shut down Lincoln to vehicles, so the sidewalk diners are not competing with the pedestrian traffic and tractor-trailers -- Yampa too, at least from 7th to 10th...

Problem solved: The drive-through traffic doesn't have to stop, we get new pedestrian malls, maximum employment, minimum excavation, and the Chinese pay for it!!

George Hresko 1 year, 1 month ago

For those interested in the US 40 through Steamboat Springs issue and how it affects our town, its atmosphere, and economy in the future, here are three thought experiments you might try:

1.) It’s said our town population will pass 20,000 by 2030. Imagine the US40 traffic flow through Steamboat Springs from say the bottom of Rabbit Ears to Heritage Park or Steamboat Golf Club; without changes to the route itself. 2.) Start on US 40 where it leaves I-70 and journey west through the various towns-Winter Park, Granby, on to the other end where in joins I-80 in Utah, and Heber City. Ask yourself which of those towns’ main street today best demonstrates what Steamboat Springs US-40 ought to be. 3.) In 2008, a bypass of US 95 around Sandpoint, ID was undertaken at a cost near $150 million. How was this accomplished in a relatively small, relatively minor ski town?

Pat West 1 year, 1 month ago

John, riding bikes is already banned from sidewalks, but the CSO's can't be everywhere, all the time.

Reading these comments I wonder where these ideas were when C-Dot was redesigning and spending $30 million on all that concrete. If you didn't participate in their open house, and give your design ideas during the process, I think now its too late to ask for change.

The downtown concrete was meant to last 20 years, 17 more to go.

As for "traffic" try a field trip down the the I-25/225 or I-70 corridors and see the tens of thousands of drivers that sit in 35-40 min of stop and go traffic every day, then come back and you will better appreciate Steamboat's lack of any real traffic. You can drive in from Craig in the same time it takes to go 10 miles on I-225 during rush hour. Even if you don't make all the downtown lights.

Carrie Requist 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't think it is necessary for an untrained person like me to have to go to the C-DOT open house to say that they need to line the lanes wide enough for the cars that will be driving on them and to leave enough room for cars parks on the curb to not have their mirrors torn off. I expected that C-DOT, with its vast experience (much more so than I have) would have instituted what seems like common sense measures to me.

jerry carlton 1 year, 1 month ago

Pat I just agrred with you on another forum. Once again I agree with you.

Mark I suggested eliminating left turns from Lincoln. Then doing away with the turn lane. Some makes a left turn off Lincoln, they get a ticket. All traffic enforcement here could be moved up a notch, especially for bicyclists and speeders.

rhys jones 1 year, 1 month ago

All I'm saying is, if we want to consider ourselves World Class, we need to be able to host a Men's Downhill -- and we need to quit spewing diesel fumes and skateboarders in our guests' faces. Move the damn highway.

jerry carlton 1 year, 1 month ago

Rhys I agree with moving the highway but It will be quite a project and I seriously doubt it will happen in our lifetimes, if ever. Front range and I-70 traffic problems far overshadow our minor inconviences here. Rockies are showing signs of life again after losing 5 straight.

John Fielding 1 year, 1 month ago

Hey Pat, I did stand up to object to the proposed pedestrian bump outs, as did many others during the project reviews. In my opinion there was no intention to revise the plan based on public comment, only the intent to sell it as is.

My position is that cycles should be allowed on the sidewalks for children and the disabled or unskilled, and a drivers license should be required to ride in traffic on Lincoln.

What about Segways? On a visit to Richmond recently we took a guided tour of that historic city on those versatile vehicles, mostly on narrow sloping sidewalks. No one was inconvenienced nor endangered.

The bypass will not be built until the traffic here has created extreme delays and loss of business on Lincoln for a substantial time. True it is not too bad by urban standards, but its impact on the heart of our town is large and growing. Moving business to Yampa is more likely to happen. The opposition to realistic traffic management planning is characterized by a statement from a former council member, "We have got to get people out of their cars", (meaning onto buses, bikes, feet). That sentiment continues to prevail. Even if everyone makes fewer trips, eventually more people in the valley will overburden Lincoln to the point of dysfunction.

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 1 month ago

Memorial Day to Labor Day - no parking on Lincoln - open the Meadows parking lot in the summer. Add a bus stop in the parking lot. I would have no problem driving in from South Routt, parking there and taking bus downtown if I needed to go downtown.

rhys jones 1 year ago

After what I saw tonight -- three young professional ladies, obviously here on vacation -- INSISTING that they ride their bicycles, side-by-side, down the sidewalk on Lincoln from 7th -- "We're only here for a week" -- I am again reminded how happy I am that my long-term prospects rely on such people NOT AT ALL, and my short-term prospects, only twice-removed. They can HAVE that stupid street. And you can have those people.

rhys jones 1 year ago

Idaho, SoCo, is there a place where stupid doesn't prevail... (I am referring to the tax base, not the skimmers...)

john bailey 1 year ago

but, but , but its a tourist town , they don't need no stinkin rules. and nether do the big xitty dwellers. come on over to the countryyyyyyy... H.W. Jr.