Steamboat Springs bear euthanized while in tree

— A Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife officer euthanized a bear Friday that was getting into people's homes in the downtown area.

District Wildlife Manager Danielle Domson said a resident at 849 Douglas St. called for help at about 4 p.m. The bear reportedly had gone into several homes in the area.

Domson said the male yearling had proven itself to be a danger to humans. While it was up a tree, Domson made the decision to shoot and kill the bear. The bear got stuck in the tree, and Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were called to help get the bear down.

Wildlife officials also are trying to deal with a nuisance bear in the area of Fish Creek Falls Road and Steamboat Boulevard. On Saturday, Domson said two traps were set to try to catch the bear.

To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

David DelliQuadri 1 year, 2 months ago

Disgusting! Why not tranquilize and transport? Some people seem to need to dominate nature...

jerry carlton 1 year, 2 months ago

Would you rather the bear kill a child or a person? It does happen, rarely but not impossible.

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

That's what man is supposed to do... dominate nature.

Beats the other way around.

What would REALLY be disgusting is if we let nature, in the form of this bear , run amok until it mauled some kid next time.

And, almost as bad, waste extremely scarce resources providing bear taxi-services.

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Sounds like the bear was up a tree, probably scared s**tless, and properly so... there was plenty of time to deliberate the issue, he wasn't going anywhere, were the real guns closer than the darts? Then the durn pest gets stuck in the tree, even dead, further endangering people ANYWAY. DOH. There went THAT plan.

Was gas the issue? Do we need a Bear Relocation Fund? I'm sure many would contribute. AHA!! Maybe THAT'S the non-profit which will make me rich (or at least have a BMW).

Many of our older readers probably saw my mentor at Rawhide, the old rainmaker, Bobwire was his stage name, at the movies; he played bit parts in a lot of old westerns... ("Young Guns" eg) crusty old cowboy. He told me of the time he shot a bear, but it didn't die immediately -- it sat down and cried, he said, just like a human... it knew what was up... so my main question is -- did this one go quietly?

Brian Kotowski 1 year, 2 months ago

If only we selfish, wicked humans would properly revere Mother Nature, and learn from her gentle tutelage.

dave mcirvin 1 year, 2 months ago

The Bear Smart Durango Program demonstrates how pro-active other communities have become.

Beyond the tranquilize vs. euthanize question, is time for members of our community to become more progressive (yeah I know, some will immediately become anxious and tachycardic with that 'P' word) towards preventing bear encounters?

Besides garbage, is time to ban bird feeders during certain times of the year? http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/opinions/article_9e117570-00f0-11e1-a61e-001cc4c002e0.html

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

That's the answer!

Let's ban something else.

Brian Kotowski 1 year, 2 months ago

I'd like to see a cost comparison of killing & disposal v. sedation & relocation.

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

But Brian,

"If we save just one bear, then the cost will have been worth it,,,"(even if it costs school-books for 27 students...)

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Dictionary.com:

euthanize , euthanise , euthanaze or euthanase (ˈjuːθəˌnaɪz, ˈjuːθəˌneɪz) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

vb ( tr ) to kill (a person or animal) painlessly, esp to relieve suffering from an incurable illness

I'm sure that bear thought "Thanks for putting me out of my misery!! Don't let the kids go stupid on my account"

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

"Gas? You want gas? Would you settle for a paw, just to let me go? Think what you could get for my claws on eBay."

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

The article fails to mention whatever became of the beast:

Whose floor will he adorn this winter?