The Record for Monday, July 29, 2013

Monday, July 29, 2013

Police, fire and ambulance calls

1:24 a.m. Steamboat Springs Police Department officers were called to a report of man who was refusing to pay for a cab ride at Walton Creek and Whistler roads. Officers arrived, and the main paid for the ride.

9:01 a.m. Routt County Sheriff’s Office deputies were called to a report of a person in the 21600 block of Third Avenue in Milner who had fraudulent charges on his or her credit card.

11:05 a.m. Officers helped a person at the Steamboat Springs Community Center. Three boxes of wine had disappeared after a gathering.

12:25 p.m. Deputies were called to a report of a credit card machine missing from the 7500 block of Scenic Drive in Hayden.

12:58 p.m. Officers were called to a report of fraud in the 700 block of Pitkin Street. A person reported someone had used his or her information to file taxes.

3:50 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a motor home parked illegally in the 300 block of Blue Sage Circle. It was parked legally.

3:54 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a motorcycle that was weaving in and out of traffic at 10th Street and Lincoln Avenue. The driver could not be located.

4:05 p.m. Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were called to help a sick person in the 3300 block of Après Ski Way.

4:54 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a rental car damaged July 22 in the 1800 block of Central Park Drive.

5:02 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a disturbance in the 1100 block of Memphis Belle Court. Two people were arguing about missing a flight to Oregon.

6:06 p.m. West Routt Fire Protection District firefighters were called to help a person with chest pain in the 1100 block of West Jefferson Avenue.

7:19 p.m. Officers were called to a report of person who yelled at a child at Ninth Street and Lincoln Avenue.

8:46 p.m. Deputies were called to a report of a theft in the 40300 block of Anchor Way.

8:52 p.m. Officers were called to a report of loud noise coming from a pool on Balsam Court. They were asked to be quiet.

9:29 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a noise complaint at Fifth and Pine streets. It was an ongoing issue with a person operating a chain saw, and he or she were asked to be quiet.

10:40 p.m. Deputies were called to a report of vandalism in the 33300 block of Routt County Road near Steamboat.

Comments

rhys jones 12 months ago

7:19 p.m. -- "yelled at a child"? Get a life. I would have yelled at a 911 caller. Some kids are just BRATS. I spanked a 12-year-old spoiled snot at a pool party once, who continued to assault our group with water; her mom was off elsewhere, drunk... Routt County tried me twice -- I kept pulling notices out of the mail, how the charge has changed, first child abuse, then assault, then "alarming" or some such rot -- I hung the first jury myself, then Ex-pub got me off for good, the jury wasn't out a half hour -- this after they changed the charge IN COURT, illegal in itself. My Routt County peers agreed, the kid was a brat.

Parts of me are very liberal, and other parts -- like child discipline -- very conservative. No wonder some kids grow up thinking the world owes them a free ride.

Cresean Sterne 12 months ago

I hear you rhys.. Although I would suggest to anyone that if it is not your child (hands off) and to be very careful on how you approach it..My brother was at a store in Oahu,HI. a few yrs back. His kid was on the floor throwing a temper tamprum in the cereal aisle. He smacked him on the but, put him in the cart and continued shopping..He was then greeted by a couple police officers when he exited the store..Someone had called the police stateing that he was abusing his son..Luckily there were other witness's that came to his defense stateing that it was a light smack on the behind not abuse and that it was silly for someone to have called the police..Thank god it was the Hawiian police for they are down to earth, understanding and friendly to everyone..They dont like to arrest or give anyone a hard time unless you realy deserve it..If it was somewher else or if no one came to his defense, he may have been arrested for a short time with possible charges..Kids are definately more spoiled these days and dont have enough structure and dicipline..I know lots of families here that dont even give there kids daily chores yet they still expect an allowance..I cant imagine my family raising us 4 kids that way cosidering how much of a handful we already were..

rhys jones 12 months ago

Cresean -- Am in total agreement; it's a slippery slope in these days of "enlightenment." Generally speaking, touching another's child is a bad idea. I maintained that I was unwillingly cast into the role of disciplinarian, child out of control and running amok, no supervision present. We were under literal assault, and I only acted in our collective defense.

The current debate rages, when is a person a person -- is it at conception, or at birth?

I would maintain that that status is not earned until age 3 or 4, when they can feed and wipe themselves, and 'til then, it should be perfectly legal to just eat them.

Cresean Sterne 12 months ago

LOL... Its always a shame when the parent is no where to be found or when they are found they have had a few to many...I am glad that you did not get charged with something that could be on your record for ever. We have to be so careful now when it comes to anything we do these days but I still believe that discipline has gone backwards and that sometimes a hands on approach worked best..

cindy constantine 12 months ago

What did Hillary once say . . . . "It takes a village to raise a child . . ." one of a few statements by Ms. Clinton that I agree totally with. Poor teachers that have no authority anymore in the classroom. . . . and we wonder why so many spoiled brats are among us.

Brian Kotowski 12 months ago

Seems to me they have plenty of authority: suspending 5-yr old girls for making "terroristic" bubble blower threats; punishing 7 yr olds for chewing pop tarts into undesirable shapes; suspending 1st graders for playing cops & robbers... good to know today's educators have their eye on the ball.

cindy constantine 12 months ago

There is a difference between reasonable authority and stupidity . . . .

Brian Kotowski 12 months ago

Sadly, today's regimes regard stupidity to be reasonable.

mark hartless 12 months ago

"No wonder some kids grow up thinking the world owes them a free ride."

Or basketball courts???

That's probably one more example of why I couldn't be a cop... I can just imagine the look on the reporting persons face when I (as a cop) arrived and said something like "where is the little brat, I'll yell at him a while too..."

It used to be that if you got in trouble as a kid with ONE adult then you were in trouble with ALL adults. Today parents instead defend their little brats against the adults who would discipline them. They march down to the school and threaten the teacher, etc if their kid comes home with a sob-story. Makes the parents look like fools, if you ask me. Does the kid no favors in the long run either...

When I came home having been "disciplined" by teachers, or other adults my reward was ANOTHER ass-whipping; the assumption being that if an adult felt the need to discipline me then I MUST have done something wrong. That assumption was usually 100% correct.

Kids today know just how to "play" adults for the suckers they are... and they even get the help of many adults, like this person.

rhys jones 12 months ago

The severity of the infraction determined the method of punishment: Minor stuff got an open-hand spanking, more severe, a leather belt, and for the really bad stuff, Dad would straighten out a wire coat hanger. That kept us in line, mostly.

Not that that is necessarily an endorsement for corporal punishment, I mean, look how I turned out... but at least I'm considerate.

mark hartless 12 months ago

Just think Rhys,

Today your dad might be in jail as a result of that disciplinary action.

The ironic thing is that today YOU might be in jail if NOT for that discipline.

The most common form of "child abuse" today is letting kids grow up without a spanking.

Scott Wedel 12 months ago

Spanking is the same as hitting a kid. Just as sex with a passed out woman is rape. Just because there was a time when those actions were considered fair game does not mean they are still acceptable.

It is not difficult to discipline a child without violence. Time outs and losing privileges works.

If I had been on Rhys jury then I probably would not have voted to convict because the harm caused by his stupidity was not worth a conviction.

Dan Kuechenmeister 11 months, 4 weeks ago

"Spanking is the same as hitting a kid. Just as sex with a passed out woman is rape. Just because there was a time when those actions were considered fair game" Are you kidding me. First and foremost when was having sex with a passed out women "considered fair game". I graduated high school 1970 - drugs, sex and rock and roll - and I was never made aware that having sex with a passed out woman was "fair game". second, how in heaven's name can you put spanking a child and sex with a passed out woman in the same paragraph. It has become obvious to me that you apparently believe you know every thing about every thing, you know more than any one else and consider yourself the smartest man in the room. You are the Paul Krugman of the Steamboat Today blogosphere and sorry that is not a compliment as much as you like Paul Krugman

Mark Ruckman 12 months ago

WOW, spanking a child is the same as rape. I wasn't aware.

The things I learn on the Internet, I wonder why I ever wasted time reading law books.

Scott Wedel 12 months ago

Wow, with reading comprehensive like that then why read at all?

rhys jones 12 months ago

Anyone else spot the obvious error? It requires reading comprehension.

Brian Kotowski 12 months ago

My dad was a small town cop once upon a time. One night, the hellion son of one of town's wealthier residents tied one on, boosted a car, and took out all the mailboxes and garbage cans he could before putting the car thru a storefront. Around 2AM, Junior's pappy showed up and asked for the keys to the cell. After assuring pops that Junior wasn't going anywhere, my dad complied. Pops let himself in and beat the snot out of his kid. They never had any problems with Junior after that.

rhys jones 12 months ago

The Courts whooped me more than Dad ever did. I always thought I owned the road, and I was smarter than The Law. Dad and the Marines never changed that, but RCSO did.

Two things I have learned about the legal system:

-- Get a lawyer.

-- The beauty of the jury system is that you can exclude obvious idiots.

mark hartless 12 months ago

... but only to the extent that there exists those who are NOT "obvious idiots".