4 taken to hospital after crash in South Routt County

— Four people involved in a car accident Wednesday afternoon were taken to Yampa Valley Medical Center with moderate injuries not thought to be life threatening, according to the Colorado State Patrol.

At about 2:10 p.m., Oak Creek and Yampa Fire Protection District firefighters and troopers were called to the crash near mile marker 34 on Colorado Highway 131. Sgt. Scott Elliott said the driver, Kenneth Hardwick, 77, said he fell asleep and drove his 2013 Chevrolet Impala off the road and into a ditch near Toponas.

Hardwick, of Salida, was driving north with his wife, son and daughter-in-law from Florida.

Hardwick was ticketed for careless driving causing injury.

To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

bill schurman 1 year, 3 months ago

Of course he was ticketed. It is mandatory with the CSP. Always give a citation, no matter what.

jerry carlton 1 year, 3 months ago

I have never had a ticket from CSP and I drove over 200,000 miles in Colorado with a CDL. I had several interactions with CSP and they were all very professional and courteous. You have a different story to tell or do you just like to bad mouth law enforcement ?

Pat West 1 year, 3 months ago

I believe tickets are issued if damage to the vehicle exceeds a minimum limit.

mark hartless 1 year, 3 months ago

200,000 mi without a ticket???

So you're the one at the front of that long line of traffic I'm always stuck in?

Step on it , would ya? The rest of us are running late...

jerry carlton 1 year, 3 months ago

Mark I retired three years ago so someone else is holding you up. Ever think about leaving earlier so you would not have to exceed the speed limit?

mark hartless 1 year, 3 months ago

That never crossed my mind, Jerry.!! heee heee heee

I've had a CDL for over 27 years but I'm still amazed by some of the stuff I see along the highway... and it seems to get crazier all the time...

mark hartless 1 year, 3 months ago

I followed a van along 129 yesterday from clark all the way to 7-11. Me and up to 10 other cars languishing and waiting behind this one slow-poke.

Think they ever bothered to consider the people in their rear-view mirror that they were delaying?

Think there was any "road-rage" building up back behind this clown? A couple cars passed them on the solid yellow.

I was actually not in a big hurry (very unusual) so I just chilled.

The funniest part of the trip was when the long line of vehicles got to the light at 7-11 the van made it under the yellow light and the rest of those who had been forced to wait behind this jackwagon had to sit at the red light and watch that van disappear towards town...

john bailey 1 year, 3 months ago

probably the same guy in the van that yelled and screamed at a friend of mine for his locals bumper sticker.......always good to just chill Mark...~;0)