2012-13 Rams boys basketball schedule
- Nov. 29: Hayden 65, Soroco 45
- Dec 6: Moffat County 81, Soroco 44 at Meeker Cowboy Shootout
- Dec 7: Crested Butte 47, Soroco 28 at Meeker Cowboy Shootout
- Dec 8: Little Snake River 79, Soroco 31 at Meeker Cowboy Shootout
- Dec. 11: Soroco 63, North Park 51
- Jan. 11: Soroco 80, Vail Mountain 35
- Jan. 12: Soroco 68, West Grand 65
- Jan. 15: Soroco 72, Denver Eagles 26
- Jan. 18: Soroco 71, Paonia 70
- Jan. 19: Hotchkiss 63, Soroco 56
- Jan. 25: Soroco 68, Vail Mountain 35
- Jan. 26: Vail Christian 51, Soroco 45
- Feb. 1: Meeker 64, Soroco 43
- Feb. 2: Rangely 53, Soroco 27
- Feb. 8: Soroco 75, North Park 58
- Feb. 9: West Grand 77, Soroco 74
- Feb. 15: Soroco 77, De Beque 34
- Feb. 16: Soroco 59, Plateau Valley 46
- Feb. 22: Hayden 82, Soroco 44
- Feb. 26 to March 2: District tournament at Paonia: Meeker 64, Soroco 53
Steamboat Springs The Soroco High School boys team rolled Friday, easily beating Vail Mountain, 68-35.
The Rams ran out to an 18-3 first-quarter lead and never looked back.
Soroco, now 6-5, had to adjust its lineup because of illness. Starting guard Nic Paxton missed the game because of the flu.
Still, the Rams had little trouble. AJ Anderson led all scorers with 15 points. Forward Ryan Jeep chipped in 12.
The Rams were up by enough of a margin that the starters didn’t play in the fourth quarter.
But the real test comes Saturday, when Soroco plays at 5:30 p.m. at Vail Christian, one of the top teams in the league.
“They’re lightning fast, are run-and-gun and make you want to go faster,” Soroco coach Jake Eskridge said. “We need to handle their pressure and be efficient on offense.”
In preparation for the Saints' uptempo, pressing game, the Rams shrank the court and used six defenders in practice this week.
Eskridge hoped the tactics would help. He said the Rams should have an advantage down low, where the Saints won’t have any player who can match up with the 6-foot-5 Jeep.
If the Rams can turn it into a half-court game, Eskridge likes their chances. A win would signify to the league that Soroco is real as the schedule hits the halfway portion.
“It would be huge for our team,” he said. “It’s going to be fun to see where we’re at against a quality team.”
To reach Luke Graham, call 970-871-4229 or email lgraham@SteamboatToday.com