Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Good morning Steamboat Today readers.
Read the eEdition here. View the daily photo gallery with staff and reader photos here.
Watch a video of the 39th Annual Cowboy Downhill.
• If the oil well permit on Wolf Mountain is approved Tuesday, drilling wouldn't take place until after Feb. 28 because of a bald eagle winter roosting site on the property, and then would be shut down from March 15 to July 30 because of a grouse lek. Routt County commissioners to decide on permit for third oil well on Wolf Mountain west of Steamboat Springs
• Peter Hall said even he thought it was a little funny to start a stand-up paddleboard company in a ski town 3 1/2 hours from a major city. But for Hall and the more than 10 other outdoor manufacturers that call Steamboat home, the benefits of doing business here have outweighed challenges. Steamboat Springs Chamber Resort Association ready to establish presence at major outdoor retail expo
• Hayden and Soroco each had a handful of wrestlers place high at a Leadville wrestling tournament. Soroco, Hayden wrestlers show well at Leadville tournament
• Steamboat Springs skiers dominated a sprint classic Telemark race in Vail on Jan. 12, claiming a number of podium spots. Steamboat Telemark skiers crowd podium in Vail
• Jon Freckelton won a pursuit race Sunday at Steamboat Springs Touring Center, beating the field in a new style of race the Nordic ski center was trying out for the first time. Steamboat's Jon Freckelton wins cross-country pursuit race
• College athletes with Routt County ties had a busy week of games. Routt County collegiate athletes roundup for Jan. 22
• Four local high school basketball games this weekend were decided by last-second shots. A look back at how Steamboat, Soroco and Hayden teams fared, and a glance at the week ahead. Routt County high school sports roundup for Jan. 21
Tom Ross: First power plant turned marbles into a winter sport in Steamboat Springs
Joel Reichenberger: Gold's championship a sign of Club's excellence
SteamboatToday.com, ExploreSteamboat.com maintenance postponed
Steamboat briefs: Over The Hill Gang gives out $10,000 from fund
The Record for Sunday, Jan. 20, 2013
Results from the 39th annual Bud Light Cowboy Downhill