Committee likely to shoot down extra money for gun checks

It doesn’t look good for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and its request for additional state funds to combat the slam of firearms background checks.

CBI missed a window of opportunity to immediately secure its request for $500,000 to deal with the flood of checks pouring in at about 1,800 per day — well beyond the rate of checks that the bureau is able to process.

Had the bureau made its request for more money earlier in December, once it realized the crush of applications couldn’t be met, the state legislature’s Joint Budget Committee could have voted on the request quickly. By waiting, the bureau now finds itself facing a weeks-long wait for the committee to act as the legislative session starts today.

And even if the supplemental request had been presented to the budget committee, the committee’s members said they were reluctant to approve the request.

Read more at DenverPost.com.

Comments

john bailey 1 year, 7 months ago

ryan , so if i said "your president," that would make a difference? or Ob no i won't say it because he's not my president. lets look at the parking deal up on the rabbit, laws are in place yet some people are breaking them and up setting the skinny stickers, don'y blame em. i'd be pissed to. again exsisting laws are not being followed, now how will more rules help. not a bit so spend the money on safer parking, a front ranger sees it too ya'll want the revenue but not the people here who spend it. i know wrong thread but its still the same. translation is more freeking gummit telling us what to do, wrong WE THE PEOPLE TELL THE GUMMIT WHAT TO DO . fix the crazys cause sane people do not do whats being done recently.

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

John's diatribe is difficult to decipher, but do I understand I am being accused of being yvb? If you haven't figured out who yampa valley boy is yet, you haven't been feeding the birds. Hint: Now he always signs off Cheers! I don't see how I could possibly be confused with him -- not only are our politics almost polar opposites (on many issues) but I never was anonymous. The highwaystar always had a name -- mine.

I've been laying low lately, since I've got a real job now, working hard and paying taxes, and I am glad those days are over when these forums were my main life, my software seeing little action lately. Plus I'm really burnt out on arguing with closed-minded zealots, have gotten better results banging my head against a wall.

I am not only the son of a WWII combat veteran, I am an honorably discharged Marine Corps Sergeant with Good Conduct and National Defense medals, which is more than any of my honorable adversaries can claim. Lest anybody question my patriotism -- I put it all on the line, in a time of national conflict, for four years. Nobody can take that away from me.

I voted for Obama because I considered him the lesser of evils, but with this puppet government, all are just talking heads of the Federal Reserve, who start wars and kill our (your) children for their own personal gain.

They are digging us so far in the hole, you will need those assault weapons for the Chinese, who will soon render our own "oppressive" government moot. When they call in their debt, you'd best be knowing Mandarin. Or have LOTS of bullets.

john bailey 1 year, 7 months ago

hey Rhys, sorry i confuse myself sometimes too. eh was just a guess since YVB always used feed the birds in his sig. also let me say thank you for serving our country much appreciated. much like you i think we need to get out from under the thumb of the so called chinese. but my arguements are from a diffrent angle than yours. i' d hate to think all my dad did to serve our country will go to waste. we fight our battles for the same common good , just on diffirent front not too much is said of the cold war but that was his war, imagine if the big guy told him. drop the nuke in the belly of his bomber.during the cuban missle standoff, would you our i be here now having this conversation. we are on the same side. just a bunch of infighting all in the name of a better country. glad you have work. i work in the building trade so people like you have a place to work and are warm on a day like this . dare you say i am not doing my share?peace bro.

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Thanks John, no harm no foul. I would've replied to your reply, but the Pilot would've buried that, so we're back at the top level. I forgot to mention Dad earned a Purple Heart in the Pacific, and while I was technically Vietnam-era, I was never in-country, so Dad, though in the Navy, saw s**t I hope I never do -- he landed with Marines to set up shore-to-ship communications, didn't talk about it much, but did have a good story or two. We had an alert once over a Korean incident when I was in Japan, and that's as close as I ever got to real action. But it COULD'VE happened -- our computer vans were deployable.

The China thing is going to happen -- we've already sent much of our industry there, more money every time you shop at Walmart, which they lend back to us. It's Globalization, no borders, everybody soon to have Federal Reserve bank accounts, and no currency, just your account. The wheels are in motion, and that's where we're headed. Nothing anybody can do, and the Fed will kill you if they think you threaten their plan. Wouldn't be the first time.

You listening in, Jerry? Did you get the NBA channel? The Nuggets/Cavs are only on Altitude otherwise. I've got the volume turned down and Black Mold spinning the best blues I never heard before on WWOZ, for the next 70 minutes or so -- if you're listening too, Brian.

I think we all want basically the same things, which are peace and freedom of choice. And hopefully preventing unnecessary death.

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Oh yeah John -- I did include "Feed the birds" in a few of my responses to ex-yvb, just to let him know I figured it out -- after a while the styles were so similar it seemed obvious. So that might have been my bad. Sorry.

john bailey 1 year, 7 months ago

forgot to mention pops 1 year stint in nam, most allhad to do at least 1. ben -wa or what ever . read his letters. didn't mess him up and the xit he had to pull out out of his arse was amazing. when the supply ain't there you improvise. i got a kick out of no alternators for the jeeps. dude was brilliant. never told ma of the shelling they took. but she knew, the wives have ways of knowing xit. not like today . he loves to talk about it all ya gotta do is ask. carp, of topic again..............LOL