2012-13 Sailors boys basketball schedule
- Nov. 30: Steamboat 46, Roaring Fork 33
- Dec. 1: Steamboat 51, Basalt 27
- Dec. 6: Steamboat 50, Montezuma-Cortez 26 at Steamboat Springs Shoot-Out
- Dec. 7: D’Evelyn 74, Steamboat 34 at Steamboat Springs Shoot-Out
- Dec. 8: Steamboat 42, Montrose 34 for third at Steamboat Springs Shoot-Out
- Dec. 14: Steamboat 35, Rifle 33
- Dec. 15: Glenwood Springs 47, Steamboat 45
- Dec. 21: Steamboat 56, Summit 47
- Jan. 11: Palisade 41, Steamboat 36
- Jan. 12: Delta 55, Steamboat 48
- Jan. 18: Eagle Valley 37, Steamboat 36
- Jan. 19: Steamboat 42, Battle Mountain 41
- Jan. 26: Glenwood Springs 42, Steamboat 30
- Feb. 1: Steamboat 39, Summit 35
- Feb. 2: Rifle 39, Steamboat 29
- Feb. 8: Steamboat 52, Palisade 40
- Feb. 9: Steamboat 35, Delta 34
- Feb. 15: Battle Mountain 57, Steamboat 56
- Feb. 16: Eagle Valley 43, Steamboat 40
Steamboat Springs The Steamboat Springs High School boys basketball team lost in the fifth-place game at the district tournament Saturday, falling, 41-37, to Montrose in overtime.
“It is frustrating to lose a couple of those,” said Steamboat coach Luke DeWolfe, whose two losses in the district tournament came by a combined five points. “We also had the chance to win those games. Sometimes, you lose perspective that you had the opportunity to win them, too. They’re tough, but you have to take it with a grain of salt.”
The Sailors trailed for much of regulation. The team was down 10-8 after one, 18-17 at half and 30-24 going into the fourth quarter.
In the fourth, however, Steamboat was able to shore up its defense and make just enough shots to send it to overtime.
In the extra frame, Steamboat went up 37-34 early and got a stop on the next possession. But Steamboat missed two free throws on its next possession and a layup on the subsequent one to give Montrose a chance.
The Sailors had the ball with 11 seconds left and the game tied at 37. But Montrose caused a turnover and got a layup to take control of the game.
Carter Kounovsky continued his great tournament, scoring 10 points. Garrett Bye and Ben Custer each added 10.
DeWolfe said he wasn’t sure where the team would be seeded in the state playoffs but guessed an 11 or 12 seed. The state brackets are released Sunday.
The team will be on the road for the opening round, most likely Tuesday.
To reach Luke Graham, call 970-871-4229 or email lgraham@SteamboatToday.com