2012-13 Tigers girls basketball schedule
- Nov. 29: Rangely 34, Hayden 15 at Meeker Cowboy Shootout
- Nov. 30: Meeker 68, Hayden 19 at Meeker Cowboy Shootout
- Dec. 1: Soroco 48, Hayden 28 at Meeker Cowboy Shootout
- Dec. 4: North Park 40, Hayden 37
- Dec. 14: Hayden 39, Encampment, Wyo., 34
- Dec. 15: Little Snake River 68, Hayden 26
- Dec. 21: 7 p.m. vs. Meeker
- Jan. 11: West Grand 46, Hayden 31
- Jan. 12: noon vs. Vail Mountain
- Jan. 18: Hotchkiss 56, Hayden 19
- Jan. 19: Paonia 59, Hayden 18
- Jan. 24: Soroco 50, Hayden 29
- Jan. 25: Hayden 39, Vail Christian 28
- Feb. 1: Rangely 49, Hayden 35
- Feb. 2: Meeker 82, Hayden 19
- Feb. 8: Hayden 51, West Grand 36
- Feb. 9: North Park 41, Hayden 36
- Feb. 15: Hayden 39, Plateau Valley 25
- Feb. 16: 1 p.m. vs. DeBeque
- Feb. 22: Soroco 55, Hayden 32
- Feb. 26: Hotchkiss 67, Hayden 28
Steamboat Springs It was another loss on the schedule, but the Hayden High School girls basketball team came away from Friday night’s game convinced it was making progress. The team lost at home against Rangely, 49-35, but coach Michelle Wilkie said the team played its most complete and best game of the season.
“The scoreboard didn’t show that we won, but the kids felt really good about it,” she said. “With what we’ve been working on and trying to execute, they did a great job.”
Wilkie said the scoreboard didn’t tell the story of a game that was close the whole way. Rangely led by two at half and six heading into the fourth quarter and pulled away only as the Tigers fouled to extend the game.
Savannah Williams led Hayden with 11 points and 14 rebounds. Kayla Dunckley had seven points and five rebounds. Olivia Zehner scored seven. Kara Cozzens, meanwhile, had 11 rebounds and Emma Johnson eight.
“We rebounded the ball really well and had a lot of second, third and fourth shots,” Wilkie said. “The girls came out, and they were very intense. They were just ready to play ball. Rangely would score, and we would answer. We played with confidence, and the girls said they had fun.”
Hayden, 2-11, plays Saturday on the road at Meeker.
To reach Joel Reichenberger, call 970-871-4253 or email jreichenberger@SteamboatToday.com