2013-14 Sailors girls basketball schedule
- Dec. 2: Steamboat 46, Grand Junction Central 32
- Dec. 6: Brenda Patch Tournament in Roaring Fork: Steamboat 37, Roaring Fork 22
- Dec. 7: Brenda Patch Tournament in Roaring Fork
- Dec. 12 to 14: Steamboat Springs Shoot-Out
- Dec. 20: 1:15 p.m. vs. Glenwood Springs at Pepsi Center
- Jan. 10: 6 p.m. at Palisade
- Jan. 11: 1 p.m. at Delta
- Jan. 16: 5:30 p.m. at Eagle Valley
- Jan. 18: 12:30 p.m. vs. Battle Mountain
- Jan. 21: 6 p.m. at Rifle
- Jan. 25: 1 p.m. at Glenwood Springs
- Jan. 30: 6 p.m. at Summit
- Feb. 1: 2 p.m. vs. Rifle
- Feb. 7: 6 p.m. vs. Palisade
- Feb. 8: 2:30 p.m. vs. Delta
- Feb. 11: 6 p.m. vs. Summit
- Feb. 13: 5:30 p.m. at Battle Mountain
- Feb. 15: 2 p.m. vs. Eagle Valley
Steamboat Springs The Steamboat Springs High School girls basketball team got the win coach Mack Spitellie expected Friday night, playing against host Roaring Fork at the Brenda Patch Memorial Tournament.
The Sailors did make him sweat, however.
Roaring Fork jumped to a 10-1 lead in the first quarter, but Steamboat scored 17 of the next 20 points, went into the half up 18-13 and never looked back, eventually winning the game, 37-22.
“They tried to give me a little scare,” Spitellie said. “We have to start better, but with this group, when they play, they’re a lot of fun to watch.”
Spitellie credited his bench for lighting the fire on Friday, especially Annie Osborne, who came into the game and led the Sailors with nine points.
“She changed the game,” he said. “She totally took over.”
Still, the scoring was spread around. Mikaila Jegtvig had eight while Ashley Spitellie and Maggie Crouch each scored six.
The Sailors, 2-0, are back in action Saturday against Basalt, again in Roaring Fork.
To reach Joel Reichenberger, call 970-871-4253, email jreichenberger@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @JReich9