2013 Sailors volleyball schedule
- Aug. 30 and 31: Steamboat goes 3-1 at Glenwood Springs tournament
- Sep. 6 and 7: Steamboat goes 3-1 at Moffat County
- Sept. 14: Steamboat 3, Summit 1
- Sept. 20: Steamboat 3, Palisade 0
- Sept. 21: Delta 3, Steamboat 2
- Sept. 24: Steamboat 3, Eagle Valley 1
- Sept. 26: Glenwood Springs 3, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 28: Eagle Valley 3, Steamboat 2
- Oct. 1: Battle Mountain 3, Steamboat 0
- Oct. 8: Steamboat 3, Summit 0
- Oct. 11: Steamboat 3, Palisade 0
- Oct. 12: Steamboat 3, Delta 1
- Oct. 15: Steamboat 3, Middle Park 0
- Oct. 17: Glenwood Springs 3, Steamboat 0
- Oct. 18: Steamboat 3, Rifle 0
- Oct. 24: Battle Mountain 3, Steamboat 0
- Nov. 2: Season ends as Steamboat volleyball falls just short in regionals
Steamboat Springs As starts go, Steamboat Springs High School volleyball coach Wendy Hall was pleased.
In any given year, there always are variables that go into the season, but Hall said after getting through the opening Glenwood Springs tournament, there are reasons for optimism.
And plenty of room for improvement.
“They are getting used to each other a little bit,” she said. “It’s a good opportunity to look at my lineup and things we need to do.”
Steamboat finished tied for third at the tournament, wrapping up, 3-1.
In tournament play, teams play the best two out of three. Steamboat opened with Moffat County on Friday, winning, 25-15 and 25-10. The team then beat Glenwood Springs’ junior varsity, 25-18 and 25-10.
On Saturday, Steamboat beat Roaring Fork, 25-22, 23-25 and 15-13. In the final, the team played Coal Ridge and lost, 17-25, 25-17 and 14-16.
“There is this sense that we’re In this together,” Hall said. “That’s the way they play. If that’s the case we can build on that.”
Hall said Saturday’s matches were the most beneficial as Steamboat had to play three sets. Although things weren’t perfect, Hall said the building blocks are in place.
“This way, we can iron out stuff before we start playing league games,” she said.
Steamboat plays at 6:30 p.m. Friday against Basalt in the Moffat County tournament. The team then will play three matches Saturday.
To reach Luke Graham, call 970-871-4229 or email lgraham@SteamboatToday.com
Join the Yampa Valley VIP email club