Good morning Steamboat Today readers.
Read the eEdition. View the daily photo gallery with staff and reader photos. You also can follow news and updates throughout the day on Facebook and Twitter.
• The Routt County woman accused of killing her 9-year-old son before attempting suicide has made significant progress in recovering from her injuries, prosecutors say. Routt County woman charged with killing son makes court appearance by video
• Shell’s plans to acquire permits for the Camilletti well north of Milner and the Williams well southeast of Hayden are consistent with what company spokesman Carolyn Tucker told Steamboat Today in early August. Shell continues to pursue planned oil wells in Routt County despite ultimate plans to leave
• The Routt County Sheriff’s Office thinks fireworks started the Aug. 17 wildfire in Hayden that burned 1,225 acres. Investigators think fireworks caused Hayden wildfire
• The field for the Steamboat Springs City Council race is set, and all the action will be in District 1 where four new candidates are vying for a seat. Field set for Steamboat Springs City Council election
• National Weather Service meteorologist Julie Malingowski said tropical moisture lingering in Steamboat on Tuesday heated up throughout the day and penetrated a drier layer of air aloft to produce conditions that were conducive to lightning. Storm drops 0.9 inches of rain on Oak Creek, lights up Steamboat skies
• Along with shipments of women’s clothing and cosmetics, Chrysalis also gets regular deliveries of caterpillars. Steamboat store Chrysalis pays homage to name with live butterflies
• Soroco has 29 athletes out for football, the most it's had since before it switched to 8-man football in 2009. The Rams are hoping that can help to create an eye-opening season. Soroco football team hopes new depth can pay off
• A major turnover in players hasn't dampened the enthusiasm of the Hayden football team. The team is set to start the season Saturday afternoon at Belleview Christian. Tigers football hopes to overcome questions this season
Steamboat Briefs: Officials think fireworks started Hayden wildfire
The Record for Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2013