Brad Piske didn’t competitively swim in college but his love for the sport never wavered. He considers himself an outdoor enthusiast, focusing on swimming, mountain and road biking and running. In the winter he’s an avid Nordic skier and most mornings he can be found skinning up Mount Werner.

Photo by Matt Stensland

Mountain Bodies: Brad Piske

Mountain Bodies, summer edition

There are many qualities that define Steamboat Springs. But the overriding aspect may be its proclivity for the outdoors. Steamboat isn’t that outdoor mecca, though, without the people that make up this little corner of Colorado. The Steamboat Pilot & Today presents its body issue, a look at one couple and five individuals who speak to the summer outdoor enthusiast in all of us.

Brad Piske didn’t have much of a choice.

While growing up in a large family on the Gulf Coast in Texas, being on the water was a must.

“I started swimming when I was 5,” Piske said. “We did all the water sports, and I started competing when I was 5.”

Piske didn’t competitively swim in college, but his love for the sport never wavered.

He has lived in Steamboat for 18 years and has two athletic daughters in Haley, 20, and Cara, 18.

He considers himself an outdoor enthusiast, focusing on swimming, mountain and road biking, and running.

In the winter, he’s an avid Nordic skier, and most mornings, he can be found skinning up Mount Werner.

“I just like to do what the season has to offer,” he said. “I like to stay fit and have fun.”

For now, Piske’s athletic endeavors involve the summer when he’s in the pool three or four times per week.

And at 49, there is a big birthday ahead. Piske plans to celebrate the way only an athlete would think.

“I might do a half Ironman,” he said.

Comments

ryan shaw 8 months ago

Please. Do NOT do a winter follow up------jeez.

cindy constantine 8 months ago

glad I wasn't the only one that had the "cringe" reaction when reading this article. got the same reaction a couple of weeks ago when the pilot chose to compare us to a county in rural Mississippi----yuk---this is not in keeping with our inclusive community values. I suppose to give equal time to all lifestyles we can expect to see articles on folks with disabilities who do not have "hard bodies" and may be overweight------jeez!

ryan shaw 8 months ago

Yes. How about some "news and education?" Lets have a more relevant topic matter or a series on affordable resources and discounts in ways to live cheaper in this town. This seems inappropriate for a "middle-of-nowhere-resort-town"----- it just feeds the already out of control Ego's in this town.

Pretty superficial when the economy and world are struggling.

Also, nice job featuring ALL-WHITES. Great job missing another opportunity to feature some Diversity in "Vanilla-Town USA®" Steamboat.

Please, not a winter edition.

cindy constantine 8 months ago

Haven't you heard, Ryan? The cub reporters are now comparing steamboat's reading of the wall street journal as compared to las cruces, new mexico. next on their agenda is the fact we keep balances in our checking accounts that are $227 higher than those in des moines, iowa. Then it will be time to once again compare how great our public school scores are as compared to the state's averages-------yep, I am over it.

John St Pierre 8 months ago

what the heck is w the ad that you have to buy credits to so t hey dont pop up.... really... nothing like turning off people to reading the paper on line!!!!!

rhys jones 8 months ago

What a concept!!

Pilot: How 'bout if readers have to answer a short questionairre, before they can partake in my witty and relevant repartee? (I'll leave Tulo out. 900 rates would apply. I do direct deposit.) Let's be democratic about this!!

[click if you agree]

mark hartless 8 months ago

The pop-ups have really gotten obnoxious.

Somebody said that they are making a list of them so they can purposefully NOT do business with those establishments.

I couldn't agree more and I'm about ready to join that movement.

rhys jones 8 months ago

Heck, just respond to this, and we've got access to your browsing history, emails, preferences (favorites) and all your stored logins and passwords.

Nobody needs to steal an identity -- you can HAVE mine!!

Not saying popups and qualification screens are related, and not saying they aren't...

Stay cool, if you can!!

Scott Wedel 8 months ago

I can't wait for the daily page 3 photo showing lots of skin and a smug daily blurb of why Steamboat is so great. Right now we only have the weekly reminder from the paper.

BTW, if you turn off javascript in your browser then none of the obnoxious ads and the site loads much faster.

rhys jones 8 months ago

Yeah, you won't get much of the good stuff in my site either. Functionality. Helps. Do much surfing, you'll be hearing about it all day long. JavaScript is a main ingredient. Disable it at your own detriment.

Scott Wedel 8 months ago

I don't leave javascript off all the time. I just turn it off for this site when I'm getting obnoxious ads. Then turn it back on when I need functionality on other sites.

John St Pierre 8 months ago

I was told by an employee of the Pilot that they do in fact sell our email addresses which is why many of us are receiving emails from Casey Pond etc.........

Instead of censoring us the Pilot has decided to kill us with ads, pop-ups etc.....

Bret Marx 8 months ago

hate,hate,hate,hate,hate. Maybe if everyone on this thread quit hating and worked out, they could get there picture in the paper too! Vanilla Town USA! I like that one. You know folks, envy is one of the 7 deadly sins. Jealously should be in there too with all the haters up in here! Lighten up!

ryan shaw 8 months ago

their.....instead of there..... Far from envy and jealousy, just very disappointed that my money goes towards a subscription of this. OMG really, if I work out more than I can get my picture in a small town paper?!!! Oh WOW! Look at me! Look at me! look at me!

jerry carlton 8 months ago

Bret How much poop did you scoop this weekend?

Brian Kotowski 8 months ago

What on earth is everyone whining about? We're in one of the recreational meccas of the universe, catering to fitness geeks. The angst & (self) righteous indignation over the piece does provide some entertainment value, though, in a 'behold the couch potato jihad' kind of way.

Dan Kuechenmeister 8 months ago

Steamboat has already been declared Ski Town, Bike Town, and Dog Town. Maybe we can get Bod Town too

cindy constantine 8 months ago

now these are the kinda conversations that get my blood flowing in the morning---because of the laughing--remember laughter is always the best work-out for those face muscles---I may not have a bod of steel, but I have a face of steel!!

john bailey 8 months ago

stay outta the rain , rust never sleeps........jejeje

Stuart Orzach 8 months ago

How about an annual swim suit issue featuring the 5 most prolific bloggers of the past year? Whether I agree with them or not, these elite bloggers deserve recognition for all the effort they put in day in and day out, just like the elite athletes featured this past Sunday. Actually, they are even more deserving than the athletes. They help put more eyeballs in front of more advertisements, and that makes more money for the newspaper. I think the paper owes them a piece of the action.

rhys jones 8 months ago

Capital idea!! The plan evolves as we speak. How about if we all get accounts at the Pilot, and it costs us a dime each to click on somebody else's comment -- while we get a dime (maybe 8 cents, dealing the Pilot in) every time someone clicks on ours... my cult following might bolster the account. What, you think all this levity should be FREE? I'm sure others would like to be rewarded for their superior intellects and Google abilities as well. But I'll bet I look better in a Speedo. Perpetual failure dictates a life of menial labor. I could always use a few pounds; the semi-emaciated look of the instant models and myself is NOT my ideal.

cindy constantine 8 months ago

Rhys, if you get to wear a speedo, then I am allowed to attach a cardboard sofa to my butt and carry Mr. Potato Head---which I will do proudly!!

rhys jones 8 months ago

The Speedo would have this stool attached, for authenticity, these digs being rustic. And now I might suggest we open this forum up to suggestions, what other contestants might appear as!!

john bailey 8 months ago

well , my carhart shorts really show off my tanned skinny legs, the belly not so much . I am due in about 3 months. maybe I can work off the baby fat some how, any suggestions are welcome....~;0) and no hulaaining doesn't help.

Bret Marx 8 months ago

Hater Town USA And Ryan Shaw is the city manager. Remember folks, no one is making you read these articles online. Your curiousity brought you here so quit hating. And Jerry, it was a very busy weekend scooping dog poop off of the core trail! Now I need a place to dump it. Where do you live?

John St Pierre 8 months ago

reading the paper online is "green" LOL doing my part to save the universe for the next "me" generation!!

cindy constantine 8 months ago

In all seriousness, Bret, we are not haters in this town, but LOVERS of our ability to "agree to disagree" . My point is that the many unsung heroes in this town are not the individuals that have the time and frankly, the money to be "hard bodies", but those individuals that contribute their time to the many great causes in this town. From REPS volunteers, to parents in the classrooms to the 4-H and Scout leaders -- the list goes on and on. If we want to feel proud of our community, let's lift these people up for praise on the front page of the paper. I never tire of hearing the story of these volunteers and what their passions are.

Dan Kuechenmeister 8 months ago

Cindy - ask and you shall receive - I believe the STARS program will be featured this Sunday The smiles on those adaptive skiers makes it all worth while. The STARS program is always looking for volunteers.

jerry carlton 8 months ago

Bret Drive around town, find yards with barking dogs and toss it in their back yards. I cleaned up 3 piles this morning from strays running loose or people walking their dogs that let them dump in my side unfenced yard. It is like Colorado open range laws, if they are not fenced out, your yard is open range for pooping and leaving it.

rhys jones 8 months ago

Jerry -- So buy a calf, tie it up in the side yard -- the dogs can't help but chase it -- so you can SHOOT the damn things. Private property. Endangering livestock.

Did you hear the latest out of Rockies camp? Now Todd says he might not retire this year. He got the Rockies' romp started last night, with #363, as I recall, a two-run shot to dead center. This is GREAT news!!

Bret Marx 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Cindy, this particular piece was not written about unsung heros. Someone decided to write it instead about these individuals personal accomplishments and there choice to live a helthy lifestyle, possibly inspiring others to do so, so don't hate, congratulate! No doubt there are many people in this town who volunteer and donate lots of time and money, etc to worthy causes but this article was not about them. If you want to read more feel good articles, write the staff at the paper and inform them of people you believe should have an article written about them. Like Jerry Carlton and his selfless acts to single handily rid Steamboat Springs of random dog poo piles! That's an article I'd love to read.

jerry carlton 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Rhys Can not discharge a fire arm in the city limits and the calf poop piles would be bigger than the dog piles. Also I like dogs and would never shoot one for the stupidity of its owner. No, I had not heard that about Todd. He sure seems like he contributes. Maybe keep him on as a pinch hitter like they did with Jason Giambi.

Bret My campaign is to shame irresponsible owners into showing some responsibility for their dog's actions although they probably cannot read. I also enjoy goring sacred cows and that is behind my campaign to ban dogs and bicycles from inside the city limits.

rhys jones 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Jerry -- It was a suggestion. Just trying to help. Calf decoy and BB gun?

If I heard correctly the other night, Todd has only made one error this year. I want his glove on the field, as well as his bat. He's still up to it. A player like that only comes along every so often, and this one is headed to the Hall of Fame for sure. I HOPE we get another year of him.

What was this article about? And does anybody really care?

jerry carlton 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Rhys Calf decoy is a good idea but if I were going to use a BB gun, which I would not as I do not want this interpreted as a threat, it would be on the owner, not the dog. The dog is just doing what he has to do to keep from exploding. It is the ignorant, inconsiderate, owner that lets the dog roam free or purposefully takes him or her to someone else's yard to do their business and leaves it for someone else to clean up. This was about Mountain Bods but I had to scroll to the top to see.