Shannon M. Owens: What would Rita say?

We enjoy walking our dogs in Rita Valentine Park and absolutely appreciate the connector trails. In my opinion, we should preserve what few parks we have, and the parks located within the center of our community are more important to preserve. Sometimes, we don’t have enough time to pack our gear, load up the dogs and take a hike. We do however, have the time to put on our shoes, get the leashes out, let the dogs run and enjoy a nice trail walk through Rita Valentine Park. I wonder what Rita would say about the proposed real estate development in her park?

What would our dogs say if they had a vote?

Shannon M. Owens

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Cresean Sterne 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Well I'm sure that Rita would not be happy at all and their home sits next to tbe park so I cant imagine how upset Don is with this proposal. As far as dogs go, my two pooches barked no way in hay and I have no choice but to listen to them. Steamboat has had issues with creating or designating a dog park for many years even though most towns now have them. Even though RVP would not have been my choice because its more of an open space then a dog park, at least we have somewhere to take them to run and play without having to go out of town.

mark hartless 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Or without having to buy some land of your own for your dogs to squat on?

Cresean Sterne 7 months, 3 weeks ago

If you remember Mark, Stmbt tried to close down spring creek at certain times to allow off leash. That idea was not thought through very well IMO and realy didnt make sense. Yes land is expensive and hard to come by these days but just like public parks there are many many people who want a public dog park in town. RV offers that to the thousands of dog owners who live here and for those dog owners who dont. I have had so many people ask me if there is a dog park here and now I can finaly say yes. The social interaction between dogs is extremely important.(another reason why dog parks are becomeing standard. The negatives about RV are that many people here still dont know its an off leash area unless you google stmbt dog park. Also, the dog waste that is left behind by irresposible owners is just out of control. The grass is not cut down so it cant be seen until its to late. Maintained dog parks are much cleaner and usualy have volunteers to help keep it that way. I think that because RV is open space, there are those that dont think they need to clean up after there dog. Thats disgusting for the rest of us who want to play chuck it but not through a poop field.

mark hartless 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Sure there are lots of people who want dog parks. Wanting something and paying for it are 2 different things.

jerry carlton 7 months, 3 weeks ago

If Rita Valentine park is not a dog park, how come dogs are allowed to run free since Steamboat has a leash law?

Cresean Sterne 7 months, 3 weeks ago

It is considered a dog park but I have frequented many dog parks accross states and most of them are fenced , have shade and water. Boulder county has a couple open space dog parks but most open space areas require your dog to be on leash or for your dog to be off leash cerified. Dog parks are usualy fenced so those who may not have the best trained dogs can still let them off leash without being woried they will run away or chase something accross the steet and over into DV's pond. There is usualy a second fenced area for smaller or more timid dogs. That is why RVP is more of an open space area and ohnestly I'm glad it wasnt cluttered up with fences. It is still great that there is somewhere to let them run in town without getting a warning or a ticket. My dogs and I are grateful for that. I always thought that part of fetcher park could be a realy cool dog park with water, a grassy park, public facilities and access to the core trail. I always see other dogs enjoying a quick dip in the pond and a game of toss in the park. Even though all dogs are sopposed to be on a leash it is a popular place to let them loose hopeing not to get stopped by the law. (I believe that Steamboat was just named Dog Town USA in some magazine recently.)

Dan Kuechenmeister 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Ski Town, Bike Town, Dog Town - looks like a split personality. Pretty heady stuff.

Cresean Sterne 7 months, 3 weeks ago

My wife and I have been creating dog treats for years and have now decided go forward with marketing them. If anyone is interested, the name of the company is Dog Town Bakery and we are hopeing to have them for sale sometime this winter. These tasty morsals will have no more then 5 healthy ingredients such as banana, apple, sweet potato, parsley, spinache, peanut butter, etc. No sugar, dairy, salt or flower will be in them. We are also hopeing to be able to pesonalize treats to a customers ingredient specification because alot of dogs require a specific diet. We have coined the term (dog food for humans) because you can put them in a cookie jar and your kids will never know they were created as dog treats. We have found that even the pickiest dogs enjoy them. Please email us if you have any questions @ winter@cmn.net

jerry carlton 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I believe the Dog Town USA was given because there is dog crap all over town. I like dogs but since I do not own one, I do not think i should clean up dog crap. How about all you responsible dog owners cleaning up after the irresponsible owners? Then there would not be crap on downtown side walks, the core trail, streets and gutters, parks and everywhere else anybody tries to walk.

Bret Marx 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Crap Town USA! I love it. It describes more than just dog s$@t

jerry carlton 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Brett Asuming you have a dog, you should clean up other peoples dog crap as well as your own dog's.

Bret Marx 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Jerry, you should assume I already do. And it's Bret, with one T. Look at my name.

Cresean Sterne 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Is spring creek still off leash or has that been abandoned??

jerry carlton 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Bret Core trail needs lots of help. Get to poop scooping!