Lynn Kelley: Reverse 911 call uses

I was surprised and disappointed to get a reverse 911 call during the weekend. I’m surprised because I thought it was only for true emergencies. This call announced the closure of U.S. Highway 40 for the bicycle race Wednesday. I just got a second call Monday afternoon. How is this an emergency, and why couldn’t the public be informed another way?

I’m disappointed because I can foresee the Routt County Sheriff’s Department using the service for all sorts of closures. U.S. 40 is closed for all sorts of events — Halloween or Winter Carnival, for example. I also am disappointed because at the time, there was a fire burning in Hayden that could have been the real reason for the call. Is this a case of crying wolf that we all will begin to ignore because it is so frequent?

Please use the reverse 911 for true emergencies only or explain why its use is for more mundane public announcements.

Lynn Kelley

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Michelle Hale 1 year, 3 months ago

Thank you, I thought the same thing. I live in Hayden. While watching the fire I noticed there was a message for me on my phone......for the bike race. I have receive yet another reverse 911 for the bike race.

mark hartless 1 year, 3 months ago

Agreed.

We got one too.

Perhaps the cyclist registration fees/entry fees should be tapped to pay personelle for the time they spend on that?? Not to mention the cluster it causes for the rest of the public who wish to/ need to use public roads that they pay for to actually do something productive... like get to and from their job...

John St Pierre 1 year, 3 months ago

Speaking of a mess...not only is Hwy 40 closed wed & thurs for a period of time but the only other route around it is down to 1 way traffic for fiber optic work....Steamboat Blvd to Fishcreek Falls rd...

Zac Brennan 1 year, 3 months ago

Isn't it against the law to use 911 for anything but emergency calls? Who the hell is in charge? Where are the grown ups ?

Richard Hagins 1 year, 3 months ago

Friends of mine who live up the Cog, thought it was for them to evacuate until they heard the bike message. Makes me wonder, if the bike race and the city paid the county to send the message? Just another maketing ploy? The calls were probably set up on a computer to automatically call Saturday, by someone far away, just doing their job.

walt jones 1 year, 3 months ago

Agree 100% with you Lynn. Just show the type of leadership in the town these days.

Cresean Sterne 1 year, 3 months ago

I dont know about you all but I received 2 of them. Thought it was overkill an unnecessary as well. Ride the rockies or pedal the peaks is way more of a mess when they come up here. There has never been a reverse 911 for those.

Jeff Fowler 1 year, 3 months ago

They used the system for what it is supposed to be used for. Public service announcement. The USA pro challenge has a huge impact on the county. Now did they do it at the correct time maybe not. You all would be complaining if they did not do it. so get off your high horse and be happy that they let you know about it.

Michelle Hale 1 year, 3 months ago

I would bet there is a great impact to the county. Who pays for all the over time for CDOT, the message, the extra police, not to mention those who make a living using Hwy 40. High horse I don't think so... well except for who thought this was a great idea. I will bet at the end there is money LOST. Due to the grand crash I can see lawsuits being filed for poor crowd control that resulted in damages, pain and suffering. I only say that because Meeker use to have a bike race...until it resulted in a major lawsuit.....due to a crash. I for one am not a fan of bike's or racing them. It has been my personal experience that people who ride bikes tend to be very rude, and road hogs. Something about riding on the "other side" of the white line is hard for them to distinguish. Looked as if in the grand crash that the white line was being crowed with out the understanding that the handle bars might be hanging over just a little. I would love to know in the end how the tax payers came out of this. A real accounting. Not the fudged numbers of how much was money was brought in but an off set of the cost, including the closing of the court house.

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 3 months ago

Lawsuits - that's the solution? What ever happened to personal responsibility? What ever happened to common sense? I was up on Rabbit Ears - West Summit on Wednesday. I was amazed at how close the spectators were willing to get to the motorcycles, squad cars, bicyclists and support vehicles. The sad story is a spectator made a stupid mistake and and she is hurt and a racer's career may be impacted. Spectators should know to give the racers a wide berth.

Pat West 1 year, 3 months ago

Dan, lawsuits are not the answer, and a Professional cyclist in an event such as the US Pro Challenge has no recourse to sue anyone for something that happens during a race. The rider is a Professional and will accept the dangers of his job, with the accolades. The cause of this crash is unfortunate, but this event will move on, as will the injured riders. Like you said, there is a good lesion to be learned for spectators, stay well clear of a charging peloton.

Ms.Hale, please look into the laws concerning where cyclists are required to ride on the roadway. Maybe the resaon you find cyclists rude, road hogs is that you do not understand or respect their rights to the road, and your behavior toward them results in a rude response. Let us know what you find.

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 3 months ago

Pat - totally agree on lawsuits not the answer. My post, while possibly not clear was advocating for common sense and personal responsibility. seems to be way to many lawsuits as it is

Michelle Hale 1 year, 3 months ago

Pat West. I looked up the laws under CDOT for riding a bike, and that is NOT what I see.

Rules of the Road* Ride on the right Riding on the right doesn’t mean hugging the curb or edge of the road. It means riding as far right as practicable and still being safe from debris, obstacles and traffic.

That's rather clear. As far as lawsuits. I agree, no one should, but it will happen because of the lack of crowd control. It's called "crowd control" for a reason...to control the crowds. People will push and shove to see. Fans, like the riders, were encroaching on other people's space. NOT sharing the road.

You might find this good to read, or even print out. http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/bikeped/bike-ped-manual/2008-02-rules-of-the-road.pdf/view

Michelle Hale

Michelle Hale 1 year, 3 months ago

Ok, so if 911 is PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUCMENT.... as a person of the public I should be able to use it. Can I call 911 for race update? How about if I want to have a block party? You are wrong. 911 is put is place as a REAL EMERGENCY use only. It should be over, fires, floods, or missing child, hell even a tornado. NOT a flippin bike race. I think "other" public things could have and should have been used. The flashing road signs were enough, there is radio and YES the NEWS PAPER.

Michelle Hale 1 year, 3 months ago

I had to add....While reading the Bike rules for CDOT this jumped out at me Pat.

Be patient and wait until it is safe to pass, as you would any other slow-moving vehicle. Be aware that when a road is too narrow for cars and bikes to ride safely side by side, bicyclists can legally ride in or near the center of the lane for more visibility and safety.

My grip is THIS is not what takes place. Bikes far too often ride on "my side" when there is more than enough room to ride on the "other" side of the painted line. I also noted that bikes are "never" are to ride side by side. Yet my last trip on out CR 27 it wasn't only double, try more like three and four across. Damn hard to come around blind corner and come upon bike "breaking the rule's" and on coming traffic. I am at the point any more I even see a bike on someone car I assume there is a discourteous person inside. Pat, you said I should read the rule book and I sure did, you should print out a copy.

Pat West 1 year, 3 months ago

Sorry, I still don't see where it says anything about a line, or which side is "yours" can you show me where it says cyclists can't ride on Michelle Hale's side of the line? Slow down if cyclists are in your way, CR27 is not the interstate, and you are not beholden to any right to drive without honoring the rights of others to use the roadway. Slower road users exist, and its your responsibility to drive with respect, and pass safely. It's not a slower road users responsibility to stay out of your way. Clearly cyclists have the right to use their judgement to determine where it is safe to ride. Many times the area to the left of the fog line is filled with debris, or the road surface is falling away and thus unsafe for cycling.

Why not rent a bike and give CR27 a ride, maybe from a bike seat you will see why cyclists behave the way they do? Your intolerance is alarming.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 3 months ago

Reverse 911 is for emergency announcements.

If it is being used for US Pro Cycling events then our government is stating that the race has created an emergency situation. Thus, presumably the race will not be allowed to return without making major changes so that it is not allowed to create a local emergency situation.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 3 months ago

From the county website: Note that "emergency" is used in both sentences.

The CodeRed™ system provides public safety officials with the ability to provide pre-recorded emergency telephone notification/ information messages to targeted areas or the entire County. Residents and businesses are encouraged to sign up for CodeRed™ to be sure they receive timely emergency notifications when alerts are issued.

I think the County Commissioners should state why the bike race was allowed to create an emergency situation for the county.