Economist Scott Ford plans run for Steamboat Springs City Council

photo

Scott Ford

photo

Kenny Reisman

— Local economist Scott Ford said that win, lose or draw, he plans to have fun during his first run for the Steamboat Springs City Council.

Ford on Monday became the first non-incumbent to file for the race.

He plans to run for the District 2 seat currently held by Kenny Reisman.

Ford said Monday he believes his economic background would be valuable on the council.

“I think I understand our economy well,” he said. “I know where it's been, where it's at and where it's going. I can ask the right questions.”

Ford gained his economic experience tackling a variety of jobs in Steamboat.

In the early 1990s, he managed the city's visitor information center and served as an economic adviser for the Steamboat Springs Chamber and Resort Association.

More recently, he managed a small business incubator at Colorado Mountain College and was a data analyst for Yampa Valley Data Partners.

Today, he is the business manager for the Yampa Valley Voice and the principal partner in The Pinnacle Economic Research Group

“I bring a tremendous amount of energy to everything I do,” he said. “I learn all the time.”

Reisman, a small business owner who announced last month he plans to seek reelection, said his first four years in city politics have taught him a lot, and he's excited to run for his second term.

“It's been a great experience so far for me,” he said. “It's been kind of challenging at times, and to keep the ship in the right direction has been rewarding,”

Reisman first moved to Steamboat more than 20 years ago and has served as a teacher and a soccer coach.

He currently is the chief operating officer of Mindful Life, an organization that helps schools, businesses and children overcome stresses.

He said he especially wants to continue serving as a steward of the city's budget.

“To look out for people's money is a project that doesn't end,” he said.

In recent months, Reisman's challenger hasn't shyed away from voicing his opinion on city issues.

Ford was one of the most vocal opponents of the city's plan to sell its downtown public safety center to local outdoor retailers BAP, Big Agnes and Honey Stinger for $2.1 million.

Ford and several other business leaders in the community signed a letter of opposition asking the city to not go forward with the sale before it had a concrete plan for a new police station.

The sale ultimately was canceled after the city discovered it would cost about $900,000 more than it originally estimated it would cost to temporarily house its police force at the Iron Horse Inn.

Ford said the proposed sale was one of the things that motivated him to run for City Council.

Ford has been writing a data column for the Steamboat Pilot & Today. He said he is suspending the column at the paper's request because of the run for council.

As of Monday afternoon, Ford and incumbent council member Walter Magill were the only candidates who have picked up the petitions needed to run for council.

Incumbent Kevin Kaminski also said he plans to run again.

That still leaves a wide open race for the District 1 seat currently held by Cari Hermacinski, who is term limited.

Candidates have until Aug. 26 to gather the signatures they need to get on the ballot.

To reach Scott Franz, call 970-871-4210 or email scottfranz@SteamboatToday.com

Join the Yampa Valley VIP email club

Yampa Valley VIP

Comments

jerry carlton 1 year, 1 month ago

You have my vote. I will sign your petition and volunteer for your campaign. No contributions though as I am going to my grave without ever contributing to any political party or campaign. Hope you win!

John Fielding 1 year, 1 month ago

You have my support Scott, I'm glad I don't have to run against you. But as I live in district 1, I don't think I get to vote for you. Your stand on the sale of the sale of the police station was courageous and the right thing to do, even though it cost you your position. Again in making this run, you sacrifice your position. That willingness to set aside personal gain for principal is an excellent indication that you will serve the public interest well.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 1 month ago

I'll vote for him as many times as I can. I'm guessing that is once per election. I am in district 2.

To me the most important change that Scott Ford would bring as a member of the City Council would be analysis prior to voting. As was seen with selling the Public Services building proposal, the staff report promised that it would transform Yampa St without providing any documentation on why. And I think the City Council didn't stop the sale because it was a bad idea, but because their plan ran into too many hurdles.

I challenge Scott Ford to continue writing and to submit opinion pieces to the paper displaying his analysis and opinions on important city issues. And hopefully, Kenny Reisman or other candidates will be inspired to respond. Then we could actually have a serious campaign on the issues.

Kevin Nerney 1 year, 1 month ago

I'd vote for you if I could but I'm not pretty enough to live in the city.

cindy constantine 1 year, 1 month ago

You go, Scott!! Let me know how I can aid in the campaign. Finally, a seasoned voice of research, knowledge, sound reasoning and commitment for the greater good!

Scott Wedel 1 year, 1 month ago

Oh no, major campaign scandal.

I hear that just as there are pictures of Anthony Weiner's weiner, there are pictures of Scott Ford's Ford.

bill schurman 1 year, 1 month ago

Being from Chicagoland I'll vote early and often for you Scott! Mr. Reisman thinks thinks that the city is headed in the right direction ? Not!

walt jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Would love to see him put Deb Hinsvark in her place when she comes to City Council for something if he gets elected. Got my vote

Scott Ford 1 year, 1 month ago

Hi All - Thanks for the encouraging words of support.

I turned in my completed candidate petition early yesterday afternoon to the City Clerk. The requirement was to have 25 signatures from registered voters in District 2 and close to 40 signatures were submitted. The City Clerk is now going through the process of verification of those signatures.

Scott W. – Although I have owned a few “Fords” over the years (67’ Bronco / 73’ Maverick), I am not too sure any pictures exist of me with either of these vehicles. (Too bad I really like that Bronco. It made many trips from Denver to Steamboat Springs.)

Scott Ford 1 year, 1 month ago

Just received word from the City Clerk (Julie Franklin). She has verified the signatures on the candidate petition I submitted yesterday afternoon. There was more than enough - its official I will be on the November ballot.

Working hard now to put a number of things in place to begin the campaign.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 1 month ago

This is an internet forum and there are haters?

Not even anyone questioning how many acid trips were required to come up with the pattern of that shirt?

Apparently, Scott Ford is liked by all. Well, all except city government when he expresses an opinion contrary to what city staff was advocating. For years there was no problems with Scott Ford working for YVDP and writing columns, but city staff suddenly discovers a conflict of interest when he criticizes their daft plan to sell the public services building and then, at some later date, consider what sort of police station should be built at a location to be determined.

But since this site requires real names, city staff cannot post anonymously so cannot criticize him on the forums.

mark hartless 1 year, 1 month ago

Scott W.

I think you should run too.

My guess is that both of you have better ideas of how to couduct the peoples business than those doing so today.

In fact, I subscribe to the notion that the first 20 names in any small town phone book would better govern our town, state and republic that those who currently make a mockery of that task.

Best of luck to Scott F.

Dave McClure 1 year, 1 month ago

"Economist" Scott Ford? Where is his PHD from? Where is his bachelors degree in economics from? OJT doesn't make a person an economist. OJT doesn't make a public administrator. A degree in public administration makes one a public administrator. My bachelor degrees in Economics and Transportation isn't enough to make me claim to be an economist. If I ever meet Mr. Ford I may end up voting for him, but that hasn't happened yet. His views on the direction the town takes on a micro scale might allow for him to be qualified, but what are his macro views on how Steamboat Springs decisions affect Rhout county, northern Colorado, the state government in Denver, and the Fed. I have not heard from either candidate. The other guy is a business man and claims he has the credentials to be on city council and improve Steamboat's business district, which by the way is in pitiful shape. Is he going to address: Why overhead is so high due to lease agreements and other factors? Why there is no living wage for workers in Steamboat Springs? Are roads going to take precedent over tax expenditures for schools? What about teacher salaries? What about spending on our policemen and firefighters? What about cost of living raises for our very important public employees? I want to hear some issues addressed intelligently and backed up with facts if they want to spend my tax dollars. Questions, Questions and more Questions! Are these two the right answer? How about the rest of city council can they answer intelligently? I remember a city council member once told me that city council doesn't create jobs. I gave up attending meetings because of that answer. It was such an ignorant statement, it almost made me break out into a vicious case of tourettes. Respectfully, Dave McClure

John Fielding 1 year, 1 month ago

I suggest that he is an economist because that is what he does. If there is a license or registration available for that occupation it does not mean the lack of it prevents one from doing that work, only from representing oneself as having that certificate.

An excellent example is the term "architect". In common use it can either refer to one who is a licensed professional, a member of the A.I.A, or to anyone who creates a design or a plan or is the creative force behind anything, as in " architect of disaster", or "architect of the universe".

Similarly we use the term "nurse" to cover registered nurses, LP nurses, semi-skilled medical care givers and children's attendants.

In the reverse use, my favorite was the statement (by a high court I think) that "science is what scientists do".

Scott Wedel 1 year, 1 month ago

Dave,

Scott Ford has written columns for years in the local newspapers so the public can see his thinking. His columns are generally examinations of local economic data and what the data suggests is the direction of the local economy. Since he relies primarily on census and dept of Labor data then it is not that hard to evaluate his analysis.

I think except for minor quibbles that his columns and understanding of the economic data are spot on. (I still think his employment trending number has a minor error of treating size of labor force as independent of number of jobs and I think locally that a significant number of workers come if there are jobs and leave if not working. And thus, size of labor force is largely dependent upon number of jobs and not an independent variable).

What I see in his columns is far less of an interest for government to take charge of business trends or provide subsidies for specific businesses, but for government to worry about the quality of the playing field so that local growing businesses are not hindered by government. That including using government collected economic data to recognize the various types and sizes of local businesses so that the city's efforts aren't ignoring major trends such as LNBs.

I thing the incumbent has already largely demonstrated his abilities on the city council by his actions and what he went along with.