Good morning Steamboat Today readers.
Read the eEdition. View the daily photo gallery with staff and reader photos. You also can follow news and updates throughout the day on Facebook and Twitter.
• The driver of the SUV left a path of destruction after hitting four pickups and slamming through the brick wall of a classroom. No one was seriously injured, and investigators are looking for witnesses. SUV hits several trucks, crashes into Hayden school
• A 5-year-old boy went to Yampa Valley Medical Center on Tuesday after a scare at an area swimming pool. Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue Capt. Chuck Cerasoli characterized the incident as a possible near drowning. 5-year-old OK after scare at Steamboat swimming pool
• The council voted to table the ballot language until its Aug. 20 meeting so that it could consult with the city's grant coordinator and learn more about a potential grant opportunity. Steamboat Springs City Council delays vote on lodging tax ballot language
• The Yampa River in Steamboat Springs, bolstered by a conservation lease of 4,000 acre-feet of water stored upstream in Stagecoach Reservoir, was flowing at healthier levels Tuesday than it did during the drought of 2012 when a similar lease was in place. Conservation lease in place; Yampa flows higher than in 2012
• Potential new Comcast customers in Steamboat Springs now will have the opportunity to try the cable provider’s latest DVR technology. Comcast rolls out X1 Platform, On Demand programming in Steamboat
• Sen. Mark Udall teamed up with Sen. Jim Inhofe to introduce legislation that would help the Federal Emergency Management Agency handle fires much in the way they treat other natural disasters like floods and hurricane. Fire legislation touches on a burning issue for Moffat County
• Tori Allen, who dominated the world of rock climbing by age 14 and then promptly retired at 16 to attend college, had her stomach in knots before she returned to the climbing world July 30 to participate in the Psicobloc Masters Series in Park City, Utah. Steamboat climber Tori Allen returns to competition at July psicobloc event
• The Town Challenge is wrapping up its season with two races in back-to-back weeks, beginning with a race Wednesday that heads up Steamboat Ski Area. Town Challenge Mountain Bike Race Series nears finish with Storm Peak Hill Climb on Wednesday
Our View: Night skiing at Steamboat Ski Area a welcome addition
Thoughtful Parenting: What should young children drink?
Jimmy Westlake: A great year for Perseid meteors
Steamboat briefs: Coffee and a Newspaper event moved to Aug. 14
The Record for Monday, Aug. 5, 2013