Good morning Steamboat Today readers.
Read the eEdition. View the daily photo gallery with staff and reader photos. You also can follow news and updates throughout the day on Facebook and Twitter.
• Shell Oil informed officials in Routt and Moffat counties late last week it wants to soon sell off the leases it holds in the Niobrara Shale formation here to focus on its more productive operations. Shell Oil announces plan to abandon oil play in Northwest Colorado
• In a blockbuster of a meeting Tuesday night, the Steamboat Springs City Council will decide the fate of the city's lodging tax and vote on the rules that will regulate the sale and use of recreational marijuana here. Steamboat Springs City Council to tackle pot rules, lodging tax and affordable housing
• The USA Pro Challenge stage finish and start in Steamboat will bring visitors from across the county, a full week of events and a spate of road closures. Steamboat events, road closures related to USA Pro Challenge addressed at forum
• The Routt County Fair begins to pick up steam Aug. 12 with the dog show at 9 a.m. and a gymkhana at 6 p.m. that tests the skills of horses and riders. Events continue through Aug. 18. Historic cookbook spices up 99th Routt County Fair
• Some might argue that there is no need to leave Northwest Colorado to enjoy some of the best hiking in Colorado. But I find that I rekindle my enthusiasm for familiar hikes closer to Steamboat by taking road trips throughout the American West. Colorado's mountains beckon to hikers from across the Western Slope
• The Steamboat Springs 13-and-under baseball team walked away from last week's Triple Crown World Series wanting more, but happy with what they accomplished. Steamboat Springs baseball team picks up Triple Crown World Series victories, confidence
Ali Margo: Steamboat Springs support of injured cyclist has been nothing short of spectacular
Steamboat briefs: Final Alive at 25 driving class of summer is Aug. 15
The Record for Sunday, Aug. 4, 2013