Volunteer Blase Arigo rakes leaves and dead grass Wednesday afternoon at the Steamboat Golf Club west of Steamboat Springs. Superintendent Jason Rivera is hopeful that the course will open Saturday.

Photo by John F. Russell

Volunteer Blase Arigo rakes leaves and dead grass Wednesday afternoon at the Steamboat Golf Club west of Steamboat Springs. Superintendent Jason Rivera is hopeful that the course will open Saturday.

Steamboat Springs Golf Club eyes Saturday opening

Advertisement

— Good news could be on the way for area golfers.

Steamboat Golf Club shop manager Seann Conway said Wednesday that the course is tentatively schedule to open Saturday.

“I think we’re a go, unless we get some crazy weather,” he said.

Most of the snow has melted, but warmer weather is needed to help dry out the course. The forecast through the weekend calls for temperatures in the mid-50s and 60s.

Conway said new Superintendent Jason Rivera and his crew have been out every day working to get the course ready.

The pro shop will be taking calls on Friday before the scheduled Saturday opening.

Early-season prices are $29 for nine holes and $41 for 18.

For more information, call the club at 970-879-4295 on Friday or go to www.steamboatgolfclub.com.

Haymaker, Rollingstone waiting for warmer weather

The Haymaker Golf Course and Rollingstone Ranch Golf Club are in wait-and-melt mode.

Both courses are lined with snow, leaving opening dates up in the air.

Haymaker Director of Golf Tom Taylor said that when the snow starts to melt next week, Superintendent Bill Whelihan should have a better idea.

Taylor said the goal is for the course to be open by the middle of May. Depending on how much snow melts, he said the driving range could be open within seven to 10 days.

“I don’t think we’re that far off,” Taylor said. “But (Whelihan) needs time to do what he needs to do to make the course ready for play.”

It’s a similar situation at Rollingstone Ranch. Director of Golf Brian Thorne said he is waiting for the snow to melt.

“We are pretty much still up in the air right now,” he said. “Next weekend is a faint possibility.”

To reach Luke Graham, call 970-871-4229 or email lgraham@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.