Paul Hughes braves the unpredictable spring weather in Steamboat Springs on Tuesday afternoon. Forecasts are calling for warmer temperatures by the weekend.

Photo by John F. Russell

Winter hanging tough in Steamboat; 60s on the way

Keep up with the conditions

- For local weather conditions and recent coverage of Steamboat Springs weather, visit SteamboatToday.com/weather

- View webcams of Steamboat Springs at SteamboatToday.com/webcams

- For weather information from the National Weather Service, including storm warnings and advisories, visit www.wrh.noaa.gov/

- The Colorado Department of Transportation provides road conditions, closures and traffic cameras at www.cotrip.org. For travel information by phone, call 511 from anywhere in Colorado or dial 303-639-1111.

- Find information about avalanche danger and conditions at the Colorado Avalanche Information Center website: www.avalanche.state.co.us.

- For flight information, visit www.flightview.com/ TravelTools/. By phone, call Delta Airlines at (800) 241-4141; United Airlines at (800) 864-8331; and American Airlines at (800) 433-7300

— Winter held Steamboat Springs firmly in its grip Tuesday morning, with the temperature hovering around 20 degrees and fat flakes falling from the sky. But everyone who didn’t leave town for spring break at the local public schools this week will be rewarded with sunny skies and forecast temperatures in the low 60s for the weekend.

The National Weather Service in Grand Junction predicts the snowy pattern will exit the region Wednesday with partly cloudy skies and a high of 47 followed by sunny skies and a high of 56 on Thursday.

The warming trend continues with an expected high of 59 degrees Friday before temperatures in the 60s break out for the weekend.

Inevitably, some hard-core skiers will be looking for their next turns, but caution is advised.

In the wake of Saturday’s avalanche on Loveland Pass that claimed five lives, the Colorado Avalanche Information Center rates as low the current danger of a snow slide below tree line in the Steamboat zone. However, it’s a different matter above tree line. The past 24 hours has seen 4 to 8 inches of fresh accumulation across the zone, and there were some observations of “wet loose activity” in the Flat Tops.

The Avalanche Information Center’s Scott Toepfer rated the danger of fresh wind slabs considerable above tree line on all north, northeast and east facing slopes.

To reach Tom Ross, call 970-871-4205 or email tross@SteamboatToday.com

Comments

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

The Pilot should consider their audience more carefuly when composing headlines. I thought for a second maybe hair was coming back. It scared me.

Jerry: Don't forget our Nuggets tonight. The Warriors lost David Lee for the year, and we're getting Kenneth back. Chuck: "It's like Shaq shooting free throws. You've got TWO chances to miss."

Scott Wedel 1 year, 7 months ago

Rhys,

"I thought for a second maybe hair was coming back. It scared me."

Not sure if you are referring to the musical Hair or long hair in general. Why does either scare you?

Couple of Nuggets have long hair so breath deep and calm your fears. :)

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Scott -- That was a lame attempt at humor. I'm sorry it escaped you.

jerry carlton 1 year, 7 months ago

Rhys Thanks for the reminder. Now that the playoffs are here, I am getting every game. Hopefully they will put this game away with more than 1.4 seconds to go. At my age that is tough on the blood pressure and the heart.

john bailey 1 year, 7 months ago

we can all agree on the nuggets, correct ?~;0) trivia, what was alex English's free throw ritual?

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 7 months ago

All you Nuggets fans enjoy the playoffs. as a transplanted Minnesotan I can only hope the Timberpuppies actually make it to the playoffs again some day. Go Nuggets!

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Where's my razor? Vertical cut, right? The ONE REASON I had left to live, and they had to get blown out at home, losing their home-court advantage, and leaving me assessing my assumptions to date. Reality has shifted, the Earth itself, night is day and vice versa; I'm not sure that's even the Sun up in the sky, probably an imposter or illusion. This is BAD.

[That is KIDDING, Scott. Facetious. A form of humor some people enjoy.]

Ol' Chuck was right -- "You've got TWO chances to miss" -- they lose their All-Star, we get our almost-star back, yet find a way to lose ANYWAY. Is there no shame? Now we've got to steal a game out west, just to get even again.

Goes to show, the level of parity the NBA has reached; any team can rise up on a given night, as there is a lot of quality talent seeking a limited number of jobs.

I'll be SOMEWHERE with bells on Friday for the next rematch; they need my karma. For all I know last night's loss was MY fault: While the game droned in the background, I was distracted by computer problems, thought I had a bad ethernet controller, more $$ if so, but now it appears to be an Ubuntu bug, requiring some nerdness to fix, before I can address the stupid website slideshow, which I THOUGHT was working okay, looked good here, even Mom said it looked good -- she uses Explorer, Gates' crap -- (although the XP Dell was my rescue machine again) didn't tell me it was injecting white space between the images, and the images didn't always load properly or quickly -- I just saw that yesterday. So now I've got to fix the connection (I'm pirating a neighbor's unsecured linksys -- slow at best) before I can fix the website, so the phone won't ring again. See? What kind of life is this? Anyway, I hope to have all done by Friday, so you can't blame the Nuggets' loss on me again.

Now, lest I be accused of hijacking this forum, I will address the original subject: While the Sun and blue sky sure look nice, after a long cold winter -- if this is anything like a normal year, there will be several more brief returns of winter before it departs us for good.

And what is "for good" anyway? I've seen snow in every month of the year in this town. One winter runs into the next, with barely a break in-between. Summer is SO SHORT here...

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Oh yeah John -- Ya got me -- what WAS Alex English's free-throw ritual? Memory fails, though I'm sure I'll say Oh yeah... while he produced good numbers for many years, he was always Mr. Steady, while there were flashier guys, and one guy I admired briefly was David Thompson. His 73-point game was something to behold, a high-flying one-man circus, still high in the record books. His career was a flash in the pan, as he burned out on coke, but I'll bet he's still got moves; DT still works out with The Boys. Go Nuggets!!

jerry carlton 1 year, 7 months ago

Rhys Now they know they have a series on their hands. Of course, they should have known that after the first game. Maybe the loss will wake them up.

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Jerry -- The Warriors were shooting the lights out, like 65% overall, better than that from 3, if memory serves. The Nuggies were missing free throws and carelessly turning the ball over, not as if they were entirely into it. Very little diving for balls and poking for steals. They didn't even bother to contest half those shots, when the Number One Rule of Defense is Get Your Hands Up when the other guy is shooting; even if you can't block it, it serves as a distraction. Just watching the guy shoot won't do at all.

Their coach Mark Jackson is a Christian preacher and quite an orator; most of the team has signed on. The Nuggets could be in trouble, Jerry. They might have God on their side!!

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Another thing we fail to consider, Jerry, is the commercial aspect. 4-game series' do little to advance other interests -- specifically, the TV sponsors who pay for our fun (as we them) and aren't even the players paid for every game? Sure, stretch it out, make us squirm.

[notice the positive spin(s) I'm putting on this.]

John -- That ritual??

john bailey 1 year, 7 months ago

Rhys, its all about the TV revenues come on you know that. lets let others have a shot at the trivia, seems only fair. I thought google was the bomb. oops , I meant the xit.~;0). don't want to mock recent events. Jerry? Dan? er , ah Scott?

jerry carlton 1 year, 7 months ago

Rhys God does not care who wins basketball games but if the majority of GS players are playing for the Glory of God, I agree, we are in trouble. I predict that the winner of game 3 will win the series.

John Although I watched Alex English play many times in McNichols arena and I have two autographed books of his poetry, I do not remember his free throw ritual. I do rembember he had the softest. most beautiful jump shot I have ever seen and David Thompson could jump and fly further and higher than is humanely possible. Of course that was before he signed the big contract and got into cocaine. That was really sad and I remember that well these many years later. I prefer to remember him sailing thru the air like he had wings!

john bailey 1 year, 7 months ago

guys, still nothing? I thought you were good at internet use.... I found it just to confirm i'm not crazy, well I guess I need to use a better word than that , hum, insane may be closer. have no fear, GO NUGGETS~;0) hint: western finals....

Scott Wedel 1 year, 7 months ago

Rhys,

Golden State is an euphemism for Oakland California - no one can claim they have God on their side!

Seth Cuury is a tremendous shooter, actually has a similar game as Alex English as a scorer that makes lots of easy looking shots. Nuggets may wish to guard him.

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Scott -- The Warriors have a BUNCH of good shooters, and a less lackluster defensive effort would seem to be in order. The Nuggies were also settling for too many lazy outside jumpers, not working the ball into the paint -- their trademark -- much higher percentage shots.

As I alluded previously, one wonders about outside or unknown influences... our guys were getting mugged, yet couldn't buy a whistle -- and now I wonder about referee payoffs, from sponsors in the larger market, let's say, who may wish to extend the series -- there are major bucks involved, and if you can tilt the table enough... not to mention the athletes themselves, and their motives. Whatever the reason, we did not see the Nuggets' supreme effort in Game 2.

When they DID get to the free-throw line, they missed half of them. Making fouling an effective tactic for the other guys. You'd think they would practice that. "Hack-a-Shaq" has evolved into "Hack Javale."

Jerry et al -- I don't think God takes sides either, it's just scary if THEY think He does!!

John -- I Googled my Ubuntu/Ethernet-controller issue in minutes, using a pirated wireless signal which held up just long enough to download the proper module tarball, which I unzipped and installed, restoring this box's Ethernet and speed -- but I STILL can't find Alex English's free-throw ritual, not on YouTube, not Wiki, nowhere yet. Now I've got to find a slideshow which works with both WordPress and Gates' unique browser, so this is seriously hampering this so-called "life." You're killing me, you know. Anybody knows of such a plugin, I'm all ears.

And there's nothing wrong with being a little -- off-center. I find "average" to be rather boring.

john bailey 1 year, 7 months ago

I cannot believe you can't find it. it took me all of 2 minutes , and i'm about as puter illetrate (eye roll here) as they come. i''l give ya till half time for tomorrows game. come on scott, ya game for this?once again western finals.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 7 months ago

Rhys,

Let up on a loss being the result of a conspiracy. GS may be in a bigger market, but it also faces far more competition with two baseball teams and so on. In terms of TV viewers and revenues, GS is no bigger than Denver. When a team is not scoring inside then the refs tend to not bail them out by calling fouls.

The Nuggets have just not played that well. They barely won the first game and were clearly beaten in game two. GS has done a better job at recognizing what Denver wants to do and getting Denver out of their game. Nuggets cannot win the series by expecting to overwhelm the Warriors by pure athleticism. The team that makes the better adjustments will win.

john bailey 1 year, 7 months ago

jeez , what time is the game ? a.m. something!!!!

rhys jones 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm not disappointed in the Nuggets' effort in Game 3. Again the Warriors were shooting the lights out, but the Nuggies fell victim to poor officiating, not inspired basketball. There were so many blatantly bad calls victimizing the Nuggets, most from one official, that I was seriously suspecting payola. There are big bucks at stakes in these playoffs; I'd be checking bank deposits, if I were the NBA. It hurts me to see the game I love tainted by the question. I'd follow college hoops closer, had I the time -- at least the officiating is fairer there. Nobody gets extra steps, or is immune to fouls, just because of who they are. It's damn tough to beat the other guys AND the striped shirts. That's why the Nuggets folded in Game 6 of the West finals with the Lakers 3 or 4 years ago -- why drag the farce back to L.A.? What a joke.

john bailey 1 year, 7 months ago

Rhys, you didn't watch march madness, the officials were horrible there too, no such thing as traveling.(eye roll here) anywho, game was too late for me , hated to wake up to see that loss. so here goes the ritual, go to youtube, search alex English highlights, on right side see alex English , 40 points game 2 lakers finals 1985. go to 5:53 mark . and there ya have it. nice day for window cleaning . enjoy , hula lessons free tomorrow........~:0)> man lots of Utah red dirt here, blahhhhhhh.