Firefighters from Oak Creek and Yampa battle a blaze Monday morning at 134 W. Williams St. in Oak Creek. The fire apparently began in the chimney and them spread underneath the roof of the home.

Photo by John F. Russell

Firefighters from Oak Creek and Yampa battle a blaze Monday morning at 134 W. Williams St. in Oak Creek. The fire apparently began in the chimney and them spread underneath the roof of the home.

Oak Creek home catches fire Monday morning; no one injured

Advertisement

— An Oak Creek home caught fire Monday morning for the second time in a year.

Oak Creek Fire Rescue was dispatched to the home at 134 W. Williams St. at 8:57 a.m. after its owners called 911 to report the fire.

The owners started a fire in a wood stove Monday and tried to put it out when they heard popping and crackling noises, Oak Creek Fire Protection District Chief Chuck Wisecup said. They then went outside and saw smoke, sparks and small flames coming from the area around their chimney, Wisecup said. The fire grew and spread throughout the second level of the house.

Flames were coming out both gables by mid-morning and the home's metal roof had partially melted, exposing a hole in the top of the house. Firefighters initially attempted to fight the fire from inside the home but were ordered to evacuate when the roof became unstable, Wisecup said.

At one point, Wisecup said firefighters were using 1,500 gallons per minute to douse the blaze.

A ladder truck was brought in to help firefighters reach the hole in the roof and peel it back to better access the fire.

The fire was under control by 11:15 a.m., and crews remained on scene until about 4 p.m. Wisecup said the home's second story sustained extensive structural damage. The remainder of the home sustained severe water and smoke damage. No one was injured as a result of the fire.

The Yampa Fire Department, Routt County Emergency Management, Routt County Sheriff's Office, Oak Creek Police Department, Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue and the Oak Creek Public Works Department provided assistance to Oak Creek Fire Rescue.

According to Routt County property records, the house is owned by Jessica and Mark Fitzgerald. The Fitzgeralds could not be reached for comment Monday.

The house previously caught fire in June 2012. That fire started on the exterior of the home and caused little damage to the interior.

Oak Creek house fire, April 22, 2013

Comments

Scott Wedel 1 year, 7 months ago

Well, maybe hay bale construction is not that much better than standard construction techniques.

And it would seem that there is not just a risk of a smoldering fire lingering in the hay, but if the hay got wet then it would be at risk to start a fire later.

With that much water being poured into the roof and concerns of wet hay heating and spontaneously combustion later, I wouldn't be surprised if the house is a total loss.

0

Kevin Nerney 1 year, 7 months ago

Why are they pumping water on one side through windows when they have guys on the porch roof on the opposite side of those windows??? Glad know one got hurt with all that smoke being pushed toward them one could have easily fallen off the roof.

0

Chuck Wisecup 1 year, 7 months ago

Kevin, I'm not sure what you are referring to. The windows were all still intact. The photo and video are deceiving. There was a 1250 GPM monitor working the roof. A monitor on the backside of the structure working the roof and 2 hand lines that were working to extinguish the exterior siding that had burned from the inside out on the gable ends. Hope this clarifies it for you. Chief Wisecup

0

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.