Steamboat Briefs: Soda Creek team wins Take Back Energy Challenge

Advertisement

photo

Andy Kennedy/Courtesy

Soda Creek Elementary School Energy Ninjas include Sloan Russell, Maddie Truong, Shea Baucke, Spencer Romig, Bantle Gibbs, Lauren Ehrlich, Allison Famulare, Makenna Keyek, Corie Holm and Sustainability Girl Maggie Tucci.

Soda Creek Elementary School’s Energy Ninjas team has been named the winner of the Yampa Valley Sustainability Council’s Take Charge Energy Challenge, according to a news release.

The contest challenged students to help their schools reduce energy usage compared with the same period in the previous year. The Energy Ninjas helped Soda Creek win the contest by turning off lights and other equipment when not in use.

Soda Creek reduced its energy usage by more than 14 percent and saved nearly $1,400 compared with 2012. Steamboat Springs High School reduced usage by 8 percent compared with last year for second place in the contest. Across the Steamboat Springs School District, the contest helped save nearly $3,000, according to the release.

Parents reminded about importance of vaccinations

As part of National Infant Immunization Week from Saturday to April 27, the Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association is reminding parents that one of the best ways to protect children is to make sure they have all of their vaccinations. Call the VNA at 970-824-8233 in Craig or 970-879-1632 in Steamboat Springs to make an appointment for low-cost vaccinations.

Volunteers sought for April Stools Day cleanup event

Volunteers are needed from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday for April Stools Day. As part of the event, participants are asked to pick up dog poop. Those who are interested in participating are asked to meet at Pet Kare Clinic. For more information, call 970-879-5273.

Residents reminded about carbon monoxide danger

Atmos Energy is reminding customers to take steps to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas and prolonged exposure can be fatal. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, sleepiness, weakness, vomiting, dizziness and tightness in the chest. If you or your family members experience these symptoms, call 911, stop using the suspected gas appliance until it has been inspected, and call Atmos Energy at 1-866-322-8667.

To help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

■ Install carbon monoxide detectors on all floors where bedrooms are located.

■ Do not idle a car in an attached garage.

■ Make sure chimneys and flues are clean and unobstructed and that appliances and portable heaters have proper ventilation systems.

■ Remove clutter from around gas furnaces and water heaters, and change furnace filters regularly.

■ Do not use natural gas ovens as a heating source.

■ Do not use charcoal indoors.

Tobacco cessation kits available in Steamboat

The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association is offering a free QuitKits and information about how to quit smoking or using smokeless tobacco. The kits are available in the lobby of the Steamboat VNA office at 940 Central Park Drive, Suite 101. The Colorado QuitLine is available at 800-QUIT-NOW.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.