The Record for Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Police, fire and ambulance calls

12:57 a.m. Routt County Sheriff’s Office deputies were called to a report of a noninjury accident near mile marker 150 on U.S. Highway 40. Routt County law enforcement officials responded to 11 other accidents during the day. There were were several rollovers, but no one was seriously injured.

7:49 a.m. West Routt Fire Protection District firefighters were called to help a person with chest pain in the 200 block of West Jefferson Avenue.

9:13 a.m. Deputies were called to a report of a reckless driver near mile marker 152 on U.S. 40.

9:41 a.m. Steamboat Springs Police Department officers were called to a report of a student at Steamboat Springs High School who was receiving harassing text messages from her former boyfriend. The former boyfriend was told to stop sending the messages.

10:07 a.m. Officers were called to a report of vandalism in the 300 block of River Road. A resident thought someone shot a BB at his or her window.

10:56 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a person who received a fraudulent phone call from someone who said he or she had won the lottery. After the person told the caller he or she thought the call was a scam, the person was cussed out.

1:42 p.m. Officers were called to a report of harassment in the 600 block of Pine Street. It is an ongoing issue, and the person was referred to the courts to request a restraining order.

1:55 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a $750 snowboard that had been stolen from Gondola Square before the ski area closed.

6:10 p.m. Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were called to help a person with abdominal pain in the 1000 block of Lincoln Avenue.

10:19 p.m. Steamboat firefighters were called to help a person who was having a seizure in the 1300 block of Athens Plaza.

Comments

rhys jones 12 months ago

10:56 a.m. I had to smile when I saw "cussed out" -- my my, when was the last time you saw THAT anachronism? There's one from the crypt!! But it made me wonder...

Is cussing less severe than swearing? Is "darn" or "dang" the cussing equivalent of "damn"?

So did it go something like "Why ya dang ingrate pipsqueak, cantcha recognize a gift horse when ya see one, ya pea-brained maggot" or was it much worse than that? If so, I might have said "berated with foul language" (unless he said "bird-brain" in which case it's "fowl" language).

Clarify please.

bill schurman 12 months ago

Rhys,

I was sent home from school in the third grade for jumping on a friend's back and calling him a "bird brain". That probably explains the rest of my history.

Bill

rhys jones 12 months ago

Bill --

So did they pop you for the jumping, or the insult? Was "fowl language" listed among the charges? Did you go to the Principal's office? Were you represented? Yeah, some of those grade-school administrations were kangaroo courts, I was branded too, and I'm sure the Becky Wheeler incident taints my record to this day.

rhys jones 12 months ago

(they said it would go on my "permanent record" thereby heading a long list)

bill schurman 12 months ago

Rhys,

As a junior lawyer I talked my way out of it. Charlie Adams survived and became an United Airlines pilot.

rhys jones 12 months ago

Bill -- My legal aspirations were sidetracked by a TV camera in college I fell in love with, an infatuation which indirectly led me to this town -- but as you know, I love the legal game, the cerebral chess match (partially also contributing to my disillusionment, the whorish aspect, it's not about who's right, but who argues their case the best) unfortunately most of my live experience has come from the wrong chair. Must have missed a class or two.

I salute you, sir, for maintaining your principles, and devoting your career -- no doubt at great personal loss, given your skills -- to those less fortunate, and unable to mount a proper defense. I wish I had had your services on more than the one occasion I did, which remains a funny story to this day. You beat a stacked deck that day, buddy!!

jerry carlton 12 months ago

Bill Today you would have been charged with assault and rightfully so. You probably scarred Charlie for life although calling him a birdbrain contributed to his love for flying and and his career path.

Rhys Playoffs tomorrow! Go Nuggets! How about the Rockies? Hope they do not collapse but that is their history except for one year.

rhys jones 12 months ago

Jerry -- I'm sure they considered charging Bill as an adult, but after all, he was only 8. So that little miscreant escaped under the "youth" exception. Thus leading to a life helping more criminals walk. Viewed in a certain way. [You know I'm kidding, Bill, patronizing Da Man's man. And Jerry's right; you helped Charlie choose flight over fight. Bet he's a lover too.]

I actually received a request that we curtail our Nuggets sidebar in the forums, as if it is a distraction -- a comment not without merit, I suppose -- but I figure, we agree on so little else, a little harmony is in order on occasion. Besides, I trashed this thread at Comment 1. Feel free to digress away. Just don't cuss me out.

Yeah Nuggets!! Finally they're catching the national eye. And a good thing it is, that we possibly have several more weeks of Nuggets. I HATE it when we are relegated to baseball. Not to take anything away from the Rockies (losers) but that game is so agonizingly S-L-O-W. Strike 2. Foul ball. Scratch your butt. Throw over to first. Get your signs straight. Foul 3. What a waste of everybody's time, especially us poor fans. But I'll probably sign on too, after George gets his ring.

jerry carlton 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Rhys I agree with your description of baseball but when it is 102 outside as it is today and 82 in the house I will take the home team on TV any time. Digression is the spice of life. All these wackos need to lighten up. The country is eventually going down . History always repeats itself.