2013 Sailors baseball schedule
- March 16: Hotchkiss 5, Steamboat 4
- March 25: Rifle 8, Steamboat 5
- March 30: Steamboat 4, Eagle Valley 2; Eagle Valley 3, Steamboat 0
- April 6: Steamboat 21, Battle Mountain 10; Steamboat 13, Battle Mountain 3
- April 9: Delta 21, Steamboat 7
- April 13: Palisade 10, Steamboat 1; Palisade 18, Steamboat 8
- April 25: Delta 11, Steamboat 0 at Rifle
- May 2: Rifle 9, Steamboat 2
- May 4: Steamboat 9, Summit 2; Steamboat 12, Summit 4
- May 7: 4 p.m. vs. Glenwood Springs
Steamboat Springs While the rest of the state and spring sports were on hold Tuesday, the Steamboat Springs and Delta high school baseball teams waged on.
In the end, Delta battled the weather better, coming away with a 21-7 win.
“We played in the snow and wind,” Steamboat manager Dave Roy said. “It never got above 30 degrees. We probably shouldn’t have been playing. We started, and it just got worse and worse.”
Steamboat got off to a good start. The Sailors took a 3-0 early lead thanks to a two-run double by Ryan Jeep that plated Cutter Pasternak and Matt Regan. Jeep later came around on a wild pitch.
But Delta punched back, scoring four in the bottom half and taking a 4-3 lead. The Panthers added five more in the bottom half of the second to take a 9-3 lead.
Steamboat cut it to 9-7 in the third with another two-run double by Jeep. Billy Clark added an RBI single, and Koby Bishop had a run-scoring double.
In the bottom half, though, Steamboat gave up five unearned runs, including a huge error with two outs and a runner on that opened up the flood gates.
“That did us in,” Roy said. “We didn’t play that well under the conditions.”
Jeep started and pitched the decent, the unearned runs a key cog in the loss. Jesse Pugh relieved him.
Because of the weather, the second game was postponed.
“Really, the weather took over,” Roy said. “Playing in those conditions, they handled it better than we did.”
Steamboat originally was scheduled to play in Craig on Saturday against Palisade, but that game has been moved to Grand Junction.
The team will play the opener of a doubleheader at 11 a.m. Saturday at Suplizio Field in Grand Junction.
To reach Luke Graham, call 970-871-4229 or email lgraham@SteamboatToday.com