Winter weather advisory promises snow, wind for Steamboat Springs

Keep up with the conditions

- For local weather conditions and recent coverage of Steamboat Springs weather, visit SteamboatToday.com/weather

- View webcams of Steamboat Springs at SteamboatToday.com/webcams

- For weather information from the National Weather Service, including storm warnings and advisories, visit www.wrh.noaa.gov/

- The Colorado Department of Transportation provides road conditions, closures and traffic cameras at www.cotrip.org. For travel information by phone, call 511 from anywhere in Colorado or dial 303-639-1111.

- Find information about avalanche danger and conditions at the Colorado Avalanche Information Center website: www.avalanche.state.co.us.

- For flight information, visit www.flightview.com/ TravelTools/. By phone, call Delta Airlines at (800) 241-4141; United Airlines at (800) 864-8331; and American Airlines at (800) 433-7300

— Another storm is poised once again to halt the return of spring with snow across Northwest Colorado.

The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for Steamboat Springs and the surrounding areas from 6 p.m. Monday through Tuesday night.

"The main dynamics from the storm will begin later Monday as the storm moves just south of us and lasts through early Wednesday," Steamboat meteorologist Mike Weissbluth, of www.snowalarm.com, wrote in an email Sunday. "The storm looks to entrain some moisture from the Gulf of Mexico leading to significant precipitation for the entire state."

The National Weather Service's weather advisory predicts snow will fall throughout Tuesday with the highest accumulations coming in and near Oak Creek.

Weissbluth wrote that the ski area could see 6 to 12 inches of snow by the Tuesday morning report with another 4 to 8 inches possible by Wednesday morning.

"Tuesday will be the best powder day for all areas with some snow from Monday night combining with snow falling all day Tuesday," wrote Joel Gratz, of www.opensnow.com.

The National Weather Service's advisory also warns of gusts as high as 50 mph and 20 mph to 35 mph winds from the north to northeast.

Visibility could drop to less than a mile and highway conditions will be slick, according to the advisory.

"Skies should clear for Wednesday until a quick moving wave of moist cool northwest flow appears to split near us and begins to produce showers by Thursday morning," Weissbluth wrote. "Precipitation could continue till Friday with moderate accumulations."

Comments

Scott Wedel 1 year, 8 months ago

"highest accumulations coming in Oak Creek"

"near" in the advisory vs "in" in the article. Highly unlikely the highest accumulations would be in town vs the mountains near the town.

Rob Douglas 1 year, 8 months ago

Last week, I heard the term "blog vomit" for the first time. I wasn't sure what that term meant. Now, I completely understand.

Melanie Turek 1 year, 8 months ago

Rob, I think your understanding might be flawed. I realized Scott's nit-picking gets on people's nerves, but he is right to correct this. The job of a newspaper is to inform; this paper often does a poor job of that, and this is a good example of why: Take a news alert that says one thing and misprint it to say something else. People living in the town of Oak Creek might be curious to know whether, in fact, they can expect to see massive amounts of snow, or whether, in fact, it is just that the big dump will bypass Steamboat and favor the mountains a tad to the south.

john bailey 1 year, 8 months ago

no, I think rob is spot on, this vomit is every where. lets discuss the topic of 3 squares vs. 4 squares, the diaper is really getting old, wash that hair yet?~;0)

jerry carlton 1 year, 8 months ago

Melanie Have you and Scott ever dated? Looks like a match made in heaven to me.

rhys jones 1 year, 8 months ago

Anybody who believes anything about weather in this fine publication is either severely delusional or hopelessly optimistic. One would hope the latter. And thus excusing me of being accused of digression...

Jerry -- Ready for the Nuggets Wednesday? Even without our 1-2 scorers, we're going to make a statement. Now George Karl's philosophy comes to the test: It's all about "teamness." Sharing the ball. Passing the glory. Giving it up for the team. (We could all learn from the example.) Now if Iggy can handle LeBron...

rhys jones 1 year, 8 months ago

(the previous comment assumes the Nuggets win the West, a given, IMHO)

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 8 months ago

Scott, Really, now you criticize the weather guys. Any credibility you would hope to have in ALL your blogs is destroyed by this. Do any of us really believe the weather guys have any clue as to the exact amount of snow that is going to fall in a specific location. Please stick to topics that you think you know about and stop the "blog vomit". The weather guys do the best job they can as does your arch enemy Sheriff Wiggins. Cheers,

jerry carlton 1 year, 8 months ago

Rhys Got the Nuggets on the calendar I look at every day so I will remember tomorrow night. Best thing about this NBA season Nuggets performance. Second best thing Lakers probably will not even make playoffs.

rhys jones 1 year, 8 months ago

Sorry to slam the weather prognosticators -- they are just going on the information they have to date -- and will lean towards the worst when things are questionable, so the people are prepared... and of course they are computer projections, based on past events -- and as we all know, complex software is always in development, as users demand more, capabilities expand, knowledge databases grow... then there's the human element; computers don't make mistakes, but programmers do. So it's always a work in progress, subject to improvement. Guesswork in any case. Even God doesn't know if it's going to snow.

That said... this town's big snows are rarely forecast, 2"-4" holding the most potential, and I NEVER believe "two feet tonight."

Jerry -- Masai Ujiri is the Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations for the Nuggets, and the single individual most responsible for assembling this stellar lineup. George Karl has them playing as a team. They're running past the best competition, and if one goes down, his replacement is just as good. Maybe better. The unlikeliest people have won games for us -- Miller, Brewer, Koufas... you're right, it's a great year, and once the playoffs start, you'll get every game!! Won't THAT be fun?

Melanie Turek 1 year, 8 months ago

Dan and Rhys, to be clear, Scott's post was not criticizing the weather forecasters, it was criticizing the reporter and editor of the paper, for printing inaccurate information (which, it seems, they have since corrected online above). I cannot fathom why that bothers you, or the other commentators; a newspaper's first obligation is to print correct information, and readers have a right to point out when it doesn't.

Jerry, I have never dated Scott. I've never even met him.

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 8 months ago

Melanie - to be clear. I don't care what Scott chooses to criticize. My point was really, criticize about the wording of where the snow might fall. Quite trivial in my opinion. All the best

rhys jones 1 year, 8 months ago

Melanie -- As I reread Scott's comment -- and even considering the article has been amended -- I still find it rather picky; I see far worse in this fine publication, yet remain mum on such trivialities, as a rule. Jerry has a great idea, though -- you'd probably make a fine couple!! Oh the things you could do with your time then...

Scott Wedel 1 year, 8 months ago

Paper, without comment, changed the article. Original article said "in Oak Creek" and is now " in and near Oak Creek". NWS advisory said "NEAR OAK CREEK".

It was a significant changing of the weather advisory regarding snowfall. There is a big difference between expecting heavy snowfall near a town with nearby mountains compared to being predicted for the town itself.

I was not criticizing the weather or the weather service. I was criticizing the paper for changing the meaning of the weather advisory as it related to the Town of Oak Creek. And apparently the paper agreed because they changed the wording in the article.

rhys jones 1 year, 8 months ago

And I was gonna go plow the north 40 today... thanks, Scott!!

jerry carlton 1 year, 8 months ago

Melanie I apologize to you and your husband. Needless to say, I was unaware that you are married. I will try and keep that in my tired old brain for the future.

mark hartless 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't listen to him Scott.

Your entertainment value alone stands head-and-shoulders above the rest.

When it comes to "know-it-alls" you make Bullwinkle look like a rank amature.

Your nit-picking ability trumps even the most persnickity of regulatory bodies emanating from that cespool known affectionately to many as "Mordor-on-the-Potomac".

And with a little more practice you have a potential to be even grumpier than me!