Prosecutors will seek death penalty against James Holmes in Aurora theater shooting

— Prosecutors said Monday they will seek the death penalty against James Holmes in the July 20 attack on what was then called the Century Aurora 16 movie theater.

Holmes is charged with 166 counts of murder, attempted murder and other offenses in connection with the attack. He is scheduled to go on trial Aug. 5 for the killings, though his lawyers have said they will likely ask to postpone that date if the case moves forward.

Read more at The Denver Post.

Comments

David Moore 1 year, 3 months ago

Lethal injection is far to easy of a demise for this crazed murderer. I would suggest an alternative, but would hate to be chastised for it. I will just go along with the death penalty as it stands and hope it is swift and not prolonged like most of them are. For all those who believe the death penalty should be repealed, what are your thoughts now? Just curious and looking for discussion on the matter.

jerry carlton 1 year, 3 months ago

I am 68 years old and the odds are very high I will be dead before this individual even if he is found guilty and sentenced to death.

jerry carlton 1 year, 3 months ago

Tom I have no facts but I would expect the average length of time on death row in any state but maybe Florida and Texas is 10 to 15 years. It should be compressed to 10 to 15 months.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 3 months ago

This is a perfect example of why the death penalty is not worth it.

Clearly, the death penalty is no deterrence for someone planning such a crime. In fact, often the notoriety of the death penalty trial and execution is what these sort of people want.

And it will take millions of dollars in court appeals before he is ever put to death since he clearly has bad mental issues that will almost certainly get worse over time. So if he is sentenced to death then there will be not just the normal appeals, but there will also be continual court hearings on his current mental state.

Just give him life without parole and we will never hear about him again until some other lifer kills him.

Pat West 1 year, 3 months ago

Interesting that the anti-government, pro-gun posters are more than willing to empower this same government with power to legally kill its citizens. In fact going so far as to speed up or eliminate due process so that convicted criminals get put to death faster?

I don't understand how same people who do not trust the government to do anything, will trust it to not wrongly convict someone, and then not give that person the time to appeal the process.

Please explain this position to me.

What happens when your head is in the noose for "civil disobedience" and the government uses the power you are asking for to put you to a swift death, that you do not have time to fight against?

Pat West 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm just more confused by your response.

Given your views on tyranny, why not oppose giving the power of life and death to the government?

Seems to me if I didn't trust the government, the last thing I would want is to give the government the power to sentence a person to death, for any reason. I would fight for controls on what the government was allowed to do, starting with killing it's own citizens.

So, despite the evidence that exists showing that the government has made mistakes and executed innocent citizens, your pro-death penalty position shows your confidence that the government can make a correct choice, and that you support it's judgements.

Do you see why I might be confused by this position?

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey Pat, It looks like there were 42 death penalty executions in 2010. It also looks like there were over 1.2 million fetuses aborted in 2010. How many of those fetus had legal representation? http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/execution-2010 http://www.mccl.org/us-abortion-stats.html

Mike Isaac 1 year, 3 months ago

Another patsy will soon bite the dust for this disgusting False Flag attack on Colorado. This was done by and along with Obama's / Diane Feinstein's / Department of Homeland Securty's Fast and Furious and Sandy Hook to not only take away the 2nd Amendment but the whole Constitution our Private Property rights under UN Agenda 21 and our Banks accounts like they are doing in Cypress. But this did not start with Obaaaama. Bush Cheney did their part with 9-11 and Clinton Gore followed Bankers Orders with that False Flag on Oklahoma City in 1995 and NAFTA treaty's in 1999 that killed many high paying Union Jobs by shipping those jobs to China where these Corporations poison the air and water because they no longer need to follow such laws in the US. So you fools that like to blame Bush or Obama for the rotten economy should be looking at Clinton Gore not just for NAFTA but it seems like Columbine happened on their watch as well.
http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/northwoods.html http://www.wanttoknow.info/falseflag

Bob Smith 1 year, 3 months ago

what about the damn fluoride mike!!! how can you post such serious and credible info. and not mention the fluoride! you know damn well what that EVIL substance does!

Mike Isaac 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes Fluoride, GMO crops, Radiation from Fukashima, and all the metals being sprayed on us by Monsanto and Bill Gates to change the weather are not a good thing but it is a little off topic.

mark hartless 1 year, 3 months ago

Pat,

Your point is valid. I certainly see you hae grounds to make such an argument.

However, in cases like James Holmes there is no doubt of his guilt. Everyone knows he is guilty. That's not even in question.

Furthermore, since the government would retain the power to incarcerate people for the rest of their life, it's hardly much different than execution... still giving them a tremendous amount of power.

In addition, I hope you understand that there is a BIG difference between giving government power over KNOWN MURDERERS vs giving them power over INNOCENT CITIZENS who are not even on trial. From my perspective, once your guilt is established, government (as a representativer of the people) should have MORE power over you than they currently do. Your point blurrs that line between the GUILTY and the NOT GUILTY. Take care to remember there is a great deal of difference. Government should have MORE power over the guilty and LESS over the innocent than they currently do.

With that in mind, why spend years and millions of $$$ housing and defending him?

Sure, your response could be that his mental state is such that bla bla bla...

Bottom line is: Monsters should be aggressively and immediately destryed, no matter what their mental state.

Pat West 1 year, 3 months ago

Mark, life in prison is somewhat different than execution, maybe not for Holmes, but for others who were found guilty, and than later had evidence presented showing their innocence. But thanks for taking the time to explain your position. I think the government currently has considerable power over a person found guilty, and think the death penalty is more about vengeance and anger than doing justice for the victims.

Tom, to be clear, I am confused by many of your posts, but obviously you are not confused, just outspoken. It's too bad you cannot explain you position, logic and examples of why you think this way would be far more educational.

Pat West 1 year, 3 months ago

Dan, your abortion comment is off topic. We can leave that for another story.

Dan Kuechenmeister 1 year, 3 months ago

Pat, Theses were your words "I would fight for controls on what the government was allowed to do, starting with killing it's own citizens." I believe we are discussing the death penalty and protecting the innocent from government mistakes. How many of the 1.2 million fetuses aborted in 2010 were innocent. I am curious as to why this is off topic.

rhys jones 1 year, 3 months ago

Tom -- "Justice" is a nebulous concept. Please define it for us.

jerry carlton 1 year, 3 months ago

Work in a county jail as I did for 5 years and you will become a supporter of the death penalty.

rhys jones 1 year, 3 months ago

"Nonviolence means avoiding not only physical violence but also internal violence of spirit. You not only refuse to shoot a man, but you refuse to hate him."

-- Martin Luther King 1/15/29 - 4/4/68 Happy Birthday and Rest in Peace, Doctor.

jerry carlton 1 year, 3 months ago

Rhys Have not heard about Galinari's MRI. Not having number 1 and number 2 scorers can not help but maybe the rest of the guys can take up the slack.

rhys jones 1 year, 3 months ago

Jerry -- I dunno how the MRI came out, but I expect the worst, as always. Not to fear; there is plenty of capable backup. Ty's heel has me at least as concerned. It should heal faster, and he really does speed up the game. There again, there is plenty of capable assistance, but there is only one Ty. You won't want to miss the Nugs/Spurs on Wednesday, late game 8:30 on ESPN. Don't count them out of anything, and what a fun year!!

jerry carlton 1 year, 3 months ago

Espn showed the records of the west against the potential playoff teams in the east and west and the Nuggets had the best record against them, better than San Antonio or OKC. Thanks for tip on ESPN game I will watch it.

David Moore 1 year, 3 months ago

Jerry Carlton, you said it perfectly. I do not, nor have ever been (and don't plan on going) to jail, however I am sure that those who have worked that system have plenty to tell. This mass killer is just what the death penalty is for, however, the process must be revamped to be quicker and less costly. My opinion is those who kill must die in the same way as their victims died, lying on a table and given anesthetics so it won't hurt just does not bode well in my book. I cant imagine how much it costs to lethal inject someone or to electrocute them, however a bullet is about .69 cents, let him die like he took the lives of so many others, by the bullet. Cheap, easy, over and done with. This guy is scum of the earth, why keep him alive?

jerry carlton 1 year, 3 months ago

David We as a country keep guys like him alive because starting in the 60's when JFK and LBJ were elected the hand wringing liberals have taken over this country. I agree that no innocent person should ever be executed but this guy and the Muslim officer at Fort Hood should be dead in 3 months. Only person executed in a timely manner that I know of in the last 50 years or so was Timothy McVeigh and he chose to take on the Federal Gorvernment by murdering civilians and babies in a day care center. Now the Federal government can not even put down this guy at Fort Hood. Probably because he is Muslim and the government is afraid of offending Muslims and he did not kill any babies, just fellow soldiers.

David Moore 1 year, 3 months ago

Thank you Jerry for a thoughtful response. IMO, if you are guilty of an obvious killing (such as this scum, or, if he had not done us the favor, the Sandy Hook shooter), you shall be killed immediately, no trial, no media, just taken out back and shot, period. Maybe if we had this type of punishment in place, there might not be such mass killings. Most of these bent weirdos know they will be immortalized and glorified by the press, its the one motivation that drives their act. BTW, I am a healthcare professional and I will be the first person sympathetic to human life, but this type of act crosses my line. My apologies to those who do not think this way.

jerry carlton 1 year, 3 months ago

David I agree with you but even at 68 years old, I am not going to hold my breath for swift justice in this country. The inmates now run the asylum in our country just as the felons run the prisons.