Steamboat Springs Three Steamboat Springs residents were able to get out safely after a fire was discovered in their home at 287 Willett Court early Saturday.
Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were called to the home at about 7 a.m.
Chief Mel Stewart said a 14-year-old boy was awakened by a smoke alarm and then found flames in a hallway of the basement apartment. Stewart said that the teen’s mother was asleep in her room but that the fire made it impossible for the teen to get directly to the bedroom. Stewart said the teen went outside, banged on the bedroom window to wake up his mother and then helped her out through the window.
“I have to give him a lot of credit,” Stewart said.
The tenant on the upper level of the home then was alerted and got out of the house.
Stewart said firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly. He said the damage was moderate and was contained to the hallway. He said that the tenants will be displaced from their homes for about a week and that their landlord has put them up in a hotel.
Stewart said the fire serves as a good example of how important it is to have working smoke alarms.
“It woke them up from a dead sleep,” Stewart said.
Residents also are reminded to change their alarm batteries and have a carbon monoxide alarm to detect the poisonous, odorless gas that can leak into a home if a furnace or another appliance is not properly working.
On Wednesday night, a North Routt family left home after a CO alarm went off. On Thursday morning, firefighters said two of the four family members tested positive for exposure.
To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com