Thursday, September 20, 2012
2012 Sailors boys soccer schedule
- Sept. 1: Steamboat 2, Centaurus 0
- Sept. 6: Steamboat 2, Eagle Valley 0
- Sept. 8: Steamboat 4, Rifle 0
- Sept. 11: Battle Mountain 5, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 13: Summit 1, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 14: Palisade 4, Steamboat 2
- Sept. 20: Steamboat 3, Glenwood Springs 2
- Sept. 22: Evergreen 1, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 25: Steamboat 1, Eagle Valley 0
- Sept. 27: Steamboat 6, Rifle 0
- Oct. 4: Battle Mountain 4, Steamboat 0
- Oct. 6: Steamboat 4, Palisade 2
- Oct. 11: Steamboat 4, Moffat County 1
- Oct. 13: Steamboat 4, Glenwood Springs 1
- Oct. 18: Summit 3, Steamboat 0
Steamboat Springs Resiliency was what Thursday was all about for the Steamboat Springs High School soccer team. To pick up a crucial 3-2 win playing at Glenwood Springs, the Sailors first and perhaps most significantly had to reverse a week of bad luck that led to a three-game losing streak. The squad had to bounce back after Glenwood scored in the first 90 seconds of the game, then yet again after the Demons erased a 2-1 Steamboat lead late in the second half.
An indirect kick that was headed in by Steamboat’s Peyton Trask in overtime finally gave the Sailors the win and allowed them a much-needed sigh of relief.
“As a group, we’re very proud,” Sailors coach Rob Bohlmann said. “Rebounding from last week, rebounding after they scored in the first minute and a half and again after the game slipped away at the end of the second half, that just shows the character of this group.”
Steamboat was quick to erase Glenwood’s early lead, equalizing the game with a goal shared by Hanson Buchner and John Vande Velde. Buchner then passed to Vande Velde for the second goal and a 2-1 lead.
The win bumps Steamboat to 4-3 on the season. The team is back in action Saturday at Evergreen.