2012 Sailors boys tennis schedule
- Aug. 24: Boulder 6, Steamboat 1
- Aug. 24: Mullen 6, Steamboat 1
- Aug. 25: Steamboat 4, Rocky Mountain 3
- Aug. 25: Kent Denver 7, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 5: Air Academy 7, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 6: Steamboat 5, Durango 2
- Sept. 7 and 8: Steamboat tennis struggles in Grand Junction
- Sept. 14: Aspen 4, Steamboat 3
- Sept. 15: Steamboat 5, Evergreen 4
- Sept 21: Fossil Ridge 6, Steamboat 1
- Sept. 22: Poudre 5, Steamboat 2
- Regional tournament
- Oct. 5: All Steamboat players advance to championship matches
- Oct. 6: Steamboat snaps regional title streak
- Oct. 11 to 13: State tournament in Pueblo
Steamboat Springs The Steamboat Springs High School tennis squad capped its weekend with a win Saturday, defeating Evergreen 5-2 in a dual in Steamboat.
The Sailors got big wins up and down the lineup. Gabri Erspamer at No. 2 singles and Stefan Sortland, battling illness, at No. 3 singles both won.
The No. 1 doubles team of Corbin Diehl and Ben Wharton won easily, 6-0, 6-0. The No. 2 doubles team with Quinn Cain and Nick Mathews won in three sets.
“That was important for us as a team and especially for these guys,” Steamboat coach Don Toy said about Cain and Mathews. “It was great for them to get another win under their belt.”
Zack Dunklin and Joe Borgerding also won, playing at No. 3 doubles.
“That was a solid match against a pretty good team,” Toy said.
Steamboat next plays Friday, hitting the road for a weekend of matches on the Front Range. The team plays against Fossil Ridge on Friday and Saturday against Poudre. The regional tournament looms early next month, starting Oct. 4.
“We’re improving week by week and when we go to regionals, we’re going to be ready,” Toy said. “Our young kids are learning from the pressure, so when we get to regionals they’ll be acclimated to it.”