2012 Sailors volleyball schedule
- Aug. 31: Glenwood Springs Tournament Steamboat 2, Rangely 1; Steamboat 2, West Grand 0
- Sept 1: Glenwood Springs Tournament Grand Junction 2, Steamboat 0; Denver Christian 2, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 7: Moffat County Tournament Steamboat 2, Aspen 0
- Sept. 8: Moffat County Tournament Olathe 2, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 15: Steamboat 3, Summit 0
- Sept. 18: Steamboat 3, Eagle Valley 1
- Sept. 21: Palisade 3, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 22: Delta 3, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 27: Glenwood Springs 3, Steamboat 1
- Sept. 28: Steamboat 3, Eagle Valley 0
- Oct. 2: Battle Mountain 3, Steamboat 0
- Oct. 6: Summit 3, Steamboat 1
- Oct. 9: 6 p.m. at Rifle
- Oct. 12: Palisade 3, Steamboat 0
- Oct. 13: Delta 3, Steamboat 0
- Oct. 13: Steamboat 3, Rifle 1
- Oct. 16: Middle Park 3, Steamboat 2
- Oct. 18: Glenwood Springs 3, Steamboat 2
- Oct. 25: 6:30 p.m. at Battle Mountain
Steamboat Springs After a strong opening day, the Steamboat Springs High School volleyball team saw the other side of inexperience Saturday.
Steamboat, after a 2-0 start Friday in the Glenwood Springs Tournament, dropped two matches Saturday.
Steamboat lost, 25-21 and 25-13, to Grand Junction before falling, 25-9 and 25-18, to Denver Christian.
“We have a lot of work to do,” Steamboat coach Wendy Hall said. “We have to get back in the gym and see what direction we go.”
Against Grand Junction, the team got down early in the first set before rallying to make it a close match.
Seemingly with momentum, Steamboat came out flat.
“I’m not happy with the way we competed,” Hall said.
Even with the loss, Steamboat had locked up first in its bracket. Playing a game Denver Christian team, Steamboat was no match.
Hall conceded that her team played two teams with a higher skill level. That, however, wasn’t what she had a problem with.
“We’re trying to learn, but it’s not carrying over to the competitive court right now,” she said. “Against teams that are a little weaker, we have confidence in the way we conduct ourselves. When we play stronger teams, it goes in the other direction. You have to play up to your opponent. We’ve got to learn to do that.”
The team next plays Friday at Moffat County.
To reach Luke Graham, call 970-871-4229 or email lgraham@SteamboatToday.com