Dan Kuechenmeister: Bombast on both sides

It was somewhat of a surprise to see the column by Joanne Palmer (“Are we not better than this?”) on the front page of the Oct. 31 paper. I have just moved to the area full time about four months ago and have tried to read the daily and Sunday (we do subscribe) paper as often as possible, and this piece seemed more appropriate on the editorial page than the front page.

I have no issue with the writer calling out Ann Coulter, though her article further’s Ms. Coulter’s aims, which Joanne Palmer says she does not want to do but does it anyway. Anybody who knows of Coulter knows there most likely will be some bombast in things she says or writes (thank goodness there are none on the left that ever say bombastic things). I would agree “retard” was not a good choice. Maybe she would have been better served to use “numbskull” or “nincompoop” instead.

Palmer goes on to say “the airwaves are filled with people like Ann Coulter calling the president of the United States a ‘retard.’” Can she back up that accusation with proof? She also asks that we “stop the brutal bickering and name calling for one minute.” Because I am new to the area, I am curious if the writer has ever pleaded for a stop to the name calling of any Republican candidates? Has Palmer ever responded to any of Paul Krugman’s bombast, as he is a regular contributor to this paper’s editorial pages, or is her ire only for conservatives? If the answer is no to the first question and yes to the second, then I would suggest commentary such as hers be confined to the editorial pages.

I couldn’t agree more that words have consequences, and Ms. Coulter’s use of the word “retard” went way over the line. I just hope to see condemnation of bombast from the left treated equally by columnists in this paper.

Dan Kuechenmeister

Oak Creek

Comments

Michelle Hale 1 year, 12 months ago

Kindness is a language that the deaf can hear, and the blind can see.

In an era of reality TV that promotes distrust, backstabbing, cut-thoat, self served, hate filled actions, I appreciated the artical and where it was placed. Parents who are trying to teach children kindness, and manors don't have much luck with the promotion by media, and the outrageous comments like that of Anne Coulter. It IS NOT Ok, to call people names, with mean and hateful intentions To use words that have a meaning attached to them that degrades others, is wrong.. Actions like this should NOT be condoned by anyone. Anne Coulter amplifies, and complements the words ignorant and obtuse. I place her in the same area of "shock jock" Howard Stern. Anne is often asinine, and a vulgar representive of what some humans are, and NOT a reflection of the best of what humans can be. Those who will say anything and do anything to make money and promote themselves with out concern, care or respect of others deserve NO time.

In a culture that is over run with those who act like bullys, promotion or defence of people like Anne Coulter takes away from the best of who we are or can be. Compassion and kindness costs nothing. An apology for her use of hurtful word would have gone along way to those who feel the sting of the intention of that word. Those who live with the knowledge of how that word has be used to define how they were born. That word, that says you have no brain, no value, because you are different.

Be the change you seek in the world, a little man from India once said. That starts with acts of kindness, and the way we use our words, and teach through our own actions. There is never a time to defend those who harm others for self promotion and money. I hope few people purchase her book, and she understands the word failed.. Maybe, someday she can write a book on how hate, judgement, and animosity forced positive change in her life. It would be nice for Anne to become a kind human..

Michelle Hale CH.t.

Brian Kotowski 1 year, 12 months ago

Chelley6 - out of curiosity, what is CH.t?

You've missed the point. The Palmer piece (which I agree with) would have been more compelling if Joanne or the Pilot had ever aimed their righteous indignation at the invective regularly emanating from the left. Chris Matthews announced this week that global warming skeptics (like me) are "pigs." He and his colleagues at MSNBC who charge that those (like me) who oppose the President are racists. The MoveOn/Michael Moore ad threatening to "burn this motherf*%&er down" if Romney wins. Paul Krugman calling Paul Ryan "the village idiot". The Vice President calling tea partiers (like me) "terrorists." His pronouncement to a black audience that a GOP victory "gon' put y'all back in chains." Bill Maher using the most gutter bound misogyny to insult conservative women (in his defense, he donated a million dollars to the Obama campaign so it must be ok).

When you & Joanne appear to be similarly insulted by the derision & contempt force fed to us by the left, I'll take you both a little more seriously.

rhys jones 1 year, 12 months ago

It's one thing to blast someone for their choices -- be it politics, team, school, service, whatever -- quite something else to belittle someone for things beyond their control, like their genetics -- and even worse when they are unable to adequately defend themselves. Especially in absentia. Kick somebody who's not only down, but not even there. It's the old "us and them" psychology of attachment through identification, where our group is inherently superior to theirs. For some people, this satisfies the basest of needs, to feel superior, thus suppressing secret fears to the contrary.

James Earley, MCSE 1 year, 12 months ago

OMG, I agree with Rhys! I really like his post! I feel faint.... quick - somebody hand me a bottle of Perrier...

rhys jones 1 year, 12 months ago

OMG, I forgot about Microsoft devotees, who truly ARE lemmings. DOH!! Now you've got ME doing it!!

Just kidding, James, the little Dell and I have got Windows and Linux making great music together, really the best of both worlds. And while I acquired it to reveal deficiencies with Explorer browsers needing compensation, it ended up revealing more skeletons in my Linux closet, things I had assumed to be correct.

The first three generations of my software wasted ten years of my life, as getting Unix to run on Windows proved virtually impossible -- my development was in one, while everybody uses the other -- the closest I ever got involved terminal emulators and remote logins; this was in the Web's early years. Finally I started totally over again, this time entirely open-source -- Linux, PHP, MySQL, Wordpress -- not a drop of code specific to Windows, except some JavaScript and CSS to accommodate Explorer browsers -- comforted by the knowledge that the Internet is Unix through-and-through; that's where it was developed, along with C, and all those RFC's which define how everything relates, rules which had Bill pirating Sun folks to make his operating system work with it. Now differences are largely academic, single-user, spyware, and inaccessibility to source, being three only minor concerns, any more. Bill is playing in MY park now. (for all it earns me)

Sorry 'bout the diversion, folks, it's just that I rarely get to discuss work; nobody knows what I'm talking about anyway, and a worthy opponent is so hard to find these days.

How ya doin', James? Long time no hear!!

rhys jones 1 year, 12 months ago

James -- Just to clarify -- the main reason I got the Dell was troubleshoot some Linux woes; an upgrade to my Ubuntu had trashed it, and I needed Google to fix it. Then it occurred to me I could install the CAD software I was building an interface for -- which only runs under Windows at this point -- on that box, rather than the VMware I was installing on this box -- prompting me to buy, as opposed to borrow, that machine. Its other advantages soon presented themselves.

Sorry again folks; yeah I'm a troll, will divert any discussion because it's all about me -- but you won't catch me calling defenseless people names. Not in public anyway.

Michelle Hale 1 year, 12 months ago

Sep.....I missed nothing.

Compassion, and kindness are for all of us to give, and to be conscious in how our words and actions effect others. Those in public should try and step up to the plate, not dig under the table. NO ONE, should say such nasty things in public, Ann Coulter, or anyone. What you see in others also lives within yourself. I don't give time or effort to such people, but I do believe as a human on this earth I should do my best to step forward and honor kindness, and compassion. Those who act like uneducated children and harm others for personal gain deserve no time, and should be held accountable for harm to the innocent heart and soul. A simple "I'm sorry" goes along way. But , Ann stood up and called everyone who question her use of that word an idiot. Why? Because they have a heart and are able to see past themselves, unlike her?

People who embrace being hurtful and in public deserve no time. Its that simple. People in public should embrace a different accountability. I for one will never watch the NFL ever again after the NFL allowing Michael Vic to come back and play. To me that was not holding him accountable for the cruel actions he did to other living things for enterainment and money. He is looked at as a roll model if we like it or not. I wrote my letter to the NFL, and will not spend a dime or any time regarding the NFL ever again. My choice, and I do miss the Broncos. All change we seek in this world starts from where we stand. WE are the change we are looking for. I for one, felt the hurt and sting of "that" word against those innocent hearts that had no choice in the way there were born. I will never honor that kind of action, and lack of compassion in another. If you see something that is wrong, and say nothing, you too are apart of the problem.

My CH.t stands for Clinical Hypnotherapist.

Thank you Rhy, your efforts and compassion speak loud.

Michelle

Brian Kotowski 1 year, 12 months ago

"People who embrace being hurtful and in public deserve no time." Sure they do. It's what the first amendment guarantees.

" I don't give time or effort to such people..."

Sure you do. You've devoted numerous posts on multiple threads to Coulter. Indeed, you're just fanning the flames of the attention she craves. Old media adage: There's no such thing as bad publicity. If you and Joanne and your ilk put your money where your mouths are and refused to "give time or effort to such people", you might just help send Coulter down the road to irrelevancy.

A brief survey of your commentary suggests that your angst has less to do with what is said than with who says it. Oh, and George Bush & the Supreme Court are fascists. Good thing you're not inflammatory like Coulter.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 12 months ago

If Michael Vick coming back after serving time in prison and playing in the NFL is why you stopped watching football then how did you fail to object at anything earlier? Broncos with performance enhancing drugs. Broncos at late night clubs with shootings. Raiders had the police come onto their practice field to arrest a player.

Sports are about competition, not about manners. Football, in particular, is a hurtful game. Guys on other teams are often personal friends, not their enemies, and yet to win they hit each other hard.

Ann Coulter is in the business of publicity to sell books, speaking engagements and books. She isn't going to give apologies. That would be bad business.

Anyone who looks at reality shows and thinks they are seeing "reality" as compared to another type of performance show would have to be so naive.

jerry carlton 1 year, 12 months ago

Chelley6 With all the kindness in your heart, it seems a little strange that you support abortion, AKA murder of an unborn child in its mothers womb?

mark hartless 1 year, 12 months ago

Chelly6, You said that a little man from India once said "Be the change you seek in the world".

Are you sure it wasn't a skinny man from Indonesia who sold Hope and Change to a naieve world?

Brian Kotowski 1 year, 11 months ago

An illuminating link to the NFL arrests database, delineating all NFL players arrested since 2000 http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/. Every crime under the sun, up to and including murder. Interestingly, it begins with the Broncos' Rod Smith in January of 2000 - busted for beating the snot out of the unmarried mother of his two kids (the Broncos inducted Smith into their ring of fame this year). The number of domestic violence charges is dizzying. Many of these transgressions were noted by the national media when they occurred. To know that these crimes have been committed forever and only become indignant in 2007 when Vick's became known is a little curious.

By the way, Michael Vick has a dog: http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/12/us/pennsylvania-michael-vick-dog/index.html

Robert Dippold 1 year, 11 months ago

Michelle, I certainly did not see any political bias to what you said.
I appreciated your point and I agree with it. Not quite sure how someone could not agree with it. It is not a left or a right thing.

Bob