Good morning Steamboat Today readers.
Read the eEdition here. View the daily photo gallery with staff and reader photos here.
• A group of concerned teachers told the Steamboat Springs School Board on Monday night that recent cuts to the district's nursing staff puts their students at risk. School district officials said they are working diligently to come up with a solution to alleviate the teachers' concerns. Cuts to Steamboat Springs School District's nursing staff has teachers worried
• If last week’s Routt County Planning Commission meeting is any indication, a group of residents that advocates for personal property rights will be on hand Tuesday night during a hearing for a new Shell Oil well permit. Trout Creek oil well southwest of Steamboat renews debate
• Ski area officials said Monday that with continued snowmaking they will work toward opening a portion of Heavenly Daze to skiers’ right along with the gondola over the weekend. As for Wednesday's Scholarship Day, tickets will be $20, and lift access will serve only a handful of trails. Christie Peak Express and $20 lift tickets launch 2012-13 season in Steamboat
• The safety of uphill, after-hours hikers are a growing concern for the ski area, and the issue has pushed resort officials to institute a new policy that will ask users to sign a document and wear a reflective armband when climbing up Mount Werner. Steamboat Ski Area adopts new uphill ski policy
• Several changes are in store for area mountain bike racers next summer. In addition to the local Buffalo Pass Enduro not returning in 2013, the Mountain States Cup circuit also has been canceled. Local, regional mountain bike races cut for 2013
• Dollar Tree employees confirmed that the store's last day in Central Park Plaza will be Jan. 15. The staff was told earlier this month that the store would be shutting down after the holidays. Steamboat's Dollar Tree store to close in January
• The town of Hayden has found room in its 2013 budget to embark on major capital projects and offer all its employees salary increases for the first time since 2008. Hayden finds room in 2013 budget for employee raises, capital projects
The Record for Sunday, Nov. 19, 2012
Vail joins list of open ski areas during weekend; Steamboat is next
Jimmy Westlake: Tale of 2 clusters