Online petition seeks Colorado's secession from the union

A petition has been started on the White House’s We the People website asking the Obama administration to grant Colorado the ability to secede from the union and start its own government.

As of Monday, 19 states have filed petitions on the White House website with similar requests.

While the petition is little more than a symbolic statement — the administration can’t unilaterally grant a state’s request to secede, and the only thing the website promises petitioners is a “timely” response if it gathers 25,000 signatures in 30 days — more than 3,600 people have signed Colorado’s petition as of Monday morning.

Lynette A. from Golden is listed as the creator of the petition.

However, many of the signatures are from people reporting their locations as outside of the state.

A petition regarding Texas has more than 17,000 signatures since being started Saturday. A petition for Louisiana has more than 13,000 signatures since Wednesday.

According to the We the People website:

The right to petition your government is guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution. We the People provides a new way to petition the Obama Administration to take action on a range of important issues facing our country. We created We the People because we want to hear from you. If a petition gets enough support, White House staff will review it, ensure it’s sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response.

Comments

John St Pierre 1 year, 9 months ago

On the Eve of the release of the film Lincoln.... With the reelection of Obama the freaks are really going to come out of the woodwork.

rhys jones 1 year, 9 months ago

Abraham Lincoln did not die in vain -- he died in Washington, D.C.

While the Feds may have a problem with our secession... I think we should just let Texas go.

bill schurman 1 year, 9 months ago

Rhys, you got that right with your Tejas comment !!

John St Pierre 1 year, 9 months ago

You know in thinking about your right.... Texas should be let go....

rhys jones 1 year, 9 months ago

We get to keep our Federal Reserve compound in Houston; even Santa Anna couldn't take that from us.

rhys jones 1 year, 9 months ago

That branch of the Rothschilds' bank is more secure than any embassy on Earth -- needless to say, there's no drive-up.

John St Pierre 1 year, 9 months ago

If we're going to talk about seccession..... why don't we all jump in and create West Colorado as a seperate state..... been talked about for years... now seems to be a good time... we can tell the East Slope water grabbers where to go then!!!! And we have all the oil & coal on our side of the divide I believe !!! Our state flag could be a MJ leaf!!

mark hartless 1 year, 9 months ago

"More secure than any embassy on earth". Not saying much in light of what just happend in Libya. I thought the federal reserve was bad, Rhys. Why do you want to keep it?

If you don't send some of the water, John, they will be comming here for it.

Michelle Hale 1 year, 9 months ago

The COST to the people of this State to be free of our Federal Govenment would be too much to carry. I understand the concept. I also understand that this is a movement by people who are deep in hate and fear. We are better than this. When I was a small child, There was an effort to take the Western part of Colorado and join Utah. We supply over 50% of the tax dollars for the State, and yet had areas that were living with out power, public water, and paved roads. After that movement, there was a little more attention given. Colorado gets 51% of its tax base for Coal I read somewhere a while back. Now that there is Oil and Gas kicking back up thing are looking better. Its long over due that the WESTSLOPE demand alittle more attention, or change the way we collect our taxes. Collect our share before its sent to the state and they decide VAIL needs new roads.

Michelle Hale 1 year, 9 months ago

Might also add. If people are concerned about their First Amendment Rights, lets remove the Patroit Act and the NDAA. Lets also remove all those in the Senate, and House that put it in place, as well as attached it to the pay of our soliders overseas that are in harms way! I attempted to write letters, make phone calls when the NDAA was put in place last year. Only 7 Senators did not vote for it. In my mind, lets go after those who voted for this. Lets remove them from office along with all of their "life time health benefits, they legal insider trading, and the ability to ever hold office again." They took and oath; To serve and protect the constitution of the United States." They did not do that. The Federal Government is not the issue....WE ARE. Our lack of EDUCATION, knowledge, and for far too many their only news they embrace if FOX News...the land og BS, and liars.

rhys jones 1 year, 9 months ago

Again I see that facetious is wasted on this populace. O-B-T-U-S-E. Look it up.

Similarly, my last post which earned a scorning Hartless response was misconstrued -- what I was saying, in essence, is how I find it ironic, that those who did the least to procure whatever they've got, are the most paranoid about parasites grabbing it.

My brother-in-law has the same disease. Rich playboy, my sister swooned -- now he posts on Facebook, saying "Welfare is not a career choice" while he inherited every dime he's got.

Re/ the Federal Reserve HQ in Houston -- just all the more reason to boot that State, in my not-so-humble opinion.

mark hartless 1 year, 9 months ago

What I find ironic is how people like to equate two entirely different things for the purpose of forming a completely false argument, like: 1.Inheriting honest, earned, family wealth from a family member who no doubt already paid income taxes on that money. And 2. Having the government put a gun to someones head, take their money and give it to another in the form of a welfare check.

How someone can see those two occurrances as similar in any way, shape, or form, is, to me, a complete mystery apart from the knowledge of how greed, envy and jealousy can so cloud one's judgement. Frankly, I believe it explains more than a little bit of what is happening to this nation.

rhys jones 1 year, 9 months ago

If I ever acquire wealth, it will be the result of my own efforts, and not because somebody handed it to me. Can you say that, Mark? I think not.

And if it makes me greedy, paranoid, and arrogant, I don't want any part of it.

rhys jones 1 year, 9 months ago

And when the Chinese call in their note, think the Rothschilds will bail you out then? (as if they could) The Reds' first order of business will be redistributing the land in a more equitable manner, and won't THAT be fun, Mark? I think I want that little spot over there.

Ha ha ha, it's enough to make a Republican out of even me. (note: That is Facetious.)

mark hartless 1 year, 9 months ago

According to President Obama any wealth you or I might acquire will be PRECISELY because somebody handed it to us. President Obama's own words betray you here: "If you have a business, you didn't build that..." --BH Obama, August, 2012

No, Rhys, I can't say that my meager possesions are only the results of my own efforts. I am much beholding to my parents, without whom I would likely be dead or in the klink. And I am greatful to God for allowing me to be born in the greatest nation He ever gave to men, which afforded me the opportunity to excel.

However, it was neither the opportunity, nor the up-bringing, nor the blessings of liberty which purchased my possesions. Just like anyone else I still had to "put my hand to the plow" and earn them; and earn them I did, by working sometimes 100 hours/ week (the 40 hr work week is for losers), in the mud, rain, snow. With my hands elbow-deep in concrete, swinging 15 or 20 feet in the air from a concrete pump hose, carrying heavy, oily, water-filled concrete forms, and later, after accumulating some money, putting that at considerable risk investing in real estate and other ventures, some very succesful, others total, money-losing flops.

This FACT, my good man, is precisely why I am so adamant about not wanting those very hard-earned gains confiscated. This FACT is why I intend to move as much as possible of what little I have as far out of the reach of the parasites as I can.

Where we do agree, it seems, is that, as bad a state as I think this republic is in, it will, with the help of the federal reserve and china, et al, get even worse.

mark hartless 1 year, 9 months ago

PS. I really get the feeling that you derrive great comfort and satisfaction from the idea that I "got what I got" by inheritance, handout, etc. I don't know, but perhaps this is due to a perception that your own life has, thus far, not been as productive as it might have been. I am sorry if that is the case, but you do still live in America and God still answers prayers and honors hard work. It is not too late. Unlike Obama, I DO think you, Rhys, can have wealth generated on your own. I wish you well with that and will begin tonight to pray for your success.

rhys jones 1 year, 9 months ago

Mark -- Don't pray for me, I made my own bed, and there are plenty more deserving of God's assistance than me. I DO often get impatient and frustrated with my lack of material success to date -- my own damn fault, party animal for years, financially naive, I wouldn't recognize an IPO if it bit me, slim shot to begin with -- and I will confess that my motivations were entirely materialistic from the get-go; back when Dad and I hatched this thing, Internet access was $5/hr for some services, and in three weeks I'd be clearing about $300,000 a week. Needless to say, there have been some setbacks. And at every point along the way, I thought I'd be rich in a couple of months. To this day.

What is easy to overlook in my frenzied endeavor is the blessings I already enjoy. My health is excellent, I (arguably) retain most of my wits; heck, I've got a truck I don't even drive, now just to avoid the expense. And I DO live in America, where it remains possible to realize my dream (a cabin by a lake). I am as frustrated as you are the direction this country is headed; we just differ as to why. And how to fix it.

I've got to credit you with more insight and reflection, even flexibility, than I ever have before, Mark. We're not that far apart, maybe, and nothing is carved in stone except Taxes and the Federal Reserve.

Matthew Stoddard 1 year, 9 months ago

In full context:

Obama, July 13: There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President — because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

From FactCheck.org

mark hartless 1 year, 9 months ago

But our organization should remain primarily centered around that which is lawful for us to do as individuals. For instance, it is lawful for us to fight fires individually, so it is reasonable that we come together to fight them collectively. Ditto for stopping a thief from robbing our nhouse.

Conversely, it is NOT legal for us to take money from others... EVEN IF we just want to give it to the guy down the street who is down on his luck. Likewise, it is, therefore, WRONG for us to send government agents out among our fellow man to commit an act that we, as individuals, are not entitled to do. We, as individuals, simply haven't the authority to "vest" in those agents to commit such acts. And since all authority for collective action in this republic is derrived from "the consent of the governed", we can't authorize, and should not tolerate the "wandering" of our authority into such activities.

Do you see the difference, Matthew?

rhys jones 1 year, 9 months ago

Matthew -- You've got a point, nobody got there alone. My 9th grade Math teacher Miss Arth ("Battleship Betty") jumped square in my s**t one day, after some close questioning, said she didn't think I was realizing my potential and she was disappointed in me. Snapped this boy's head around, maybe changed my life.

Dad had a great set of numbers, unique to the industry. Mine for the asking.

THOUSANDS of programmers contributed their time, developing the open-source software I now utilize for free -- although you can be assured most were acting in their own interest, in pursuit of their own fortunes, just lucky to have a platform they could coincidentally contribute to. Not to mention the guru nerds, always willing to help those less accomplished, providing they show initiative themselves. I've had MANY gurus contribute to my education, some I've never met, one in Serbia or thereabouts, at a time of extreme need. The open-source community is a blessing anyone can enjoy.

But to clarify a point... Unix, the C language, and the Internet, all grew up together, the outshoot of DARPA -- DEFENSE Advanced Research Projects A(something) -- yup, the Internet started as a top-secret government information-exchange program, and just outgrew itself. Finally even the government couldn't handle it, so they turned it over to private enterprise. So tax dollars got that started.

I'm the luckiest guy in town. Betty squared me away, the Marines made me a programmer, Dad had the numbers, and Linux had the software -- who was I to argue? My path was destined. Thanks to the Feds too for the Internet.

I know we're in this together, but it's just me cranking code. Failing more than succeeding, then on to the next problem. But like Michael Jordan says -- I fail over and over. And that is why I succeed.

Matthew Stoddard 1 year, 9 months ago

Thank you, Rhys. Someone else started what you then built your experience on. Exactly the point of what Obama said, but people only focused one 1 sentence. In order to build your business, you need some type of help, even if that just means good customers or good employees. Each helps build that business for and with the person who started it, and hopefully someone can later build upon that.

And I never voted for Obama, for the record. Just putting his 1 sentence into full context.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 9 months ago

It was not the general public listening to that speech that focused on that one sentence. It was Republican campaigns finding something they knew was being taken out of context.

I was surprised when the Romney made campaign ads using that out of context sentence. I thought that it probably hurt Romney because it undercut his claims of being of a person of good character. He was already fighting the image of being an out of touch rich guy and then takes a comment by Obama already well known to be out of context and makes it the centerpiece of TV ads which reinforced the questionable character issue.

Matthew Stoddard 1 year, 9 months ago

Scott- Mark's own post shows that the certain portions of the general public did indeed follow suit and focused on that one line. Just sayin'.