Annie Jeckel: Do better for the bears

The recent rash of photos of bears in the Steamboat Today — sitting in an open Dumpster, batting at a hummingbird feeder, falling out of a tree while tranquilized — is alarming and very sad.

Our community is doing a disgraceful job at living in harmony with our wildlife. Police and wildlife officials can’t be everywhere. It is our responsibility to obey city ordinances and to use common sense. Secure your trash properly. Bring in bird feeders at night. Our carelessness is directly responsible for creating nuisance bears. They pay the ultimate price for our thoughtless behavior.

Come on, Steamboat. We must do better for the bears.

Annie Jeckel

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Fred Duckels 2 years, 2 months ago

Before the bear hunt ban one could go for decades without spotting one. Tom, I am not impressed with the overestimation of your prowess in matters concerning nature.

Scott Ford 2 years, 2 months ago

Fred - I went 20+ years here before I saw my first bear in Steamboat Springs and now I see them with some regularity and see evidence of them all the time. I think there are some real problems when they get too familiar with us and us with them. To me this is not a living in harmony with wildlife issue.

Let us not forget that in 1992 as citizens we put what essentially amounts to a very specific hunting regulation into the State of Colorado Constitution. From my perspective hunting regulations do not belong in the state constitution, but it goes to show how even silly things can become a part of the state constitution when it is so easy to use the ballot initiatives to modify it. When core legal documents become too easy to modify they are subject to fickle whims the exact thing they are intended to help us avoid. That may be the bigger problem.

Fred Duckels 2 years, 2 months ago

Tom, You seem to fit the mold of those who move out to the wild west to pursue their Daniel Boone fantasy camp dream.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 2 months ago

If only we selfish humans could find refuge in the embrace of Mother Earth and learn from her gentle tutelage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JVkaM... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCDPYg...

Fred Duckels 2 years, 2 months ago

Scott, Wildlife decisions are always presented by the state in a talking points template with much the same theme over and over. In reality a good percentaqe of the decisions are made by and from pressure of those standing to profit. Communities demand seasons that will help their economy, guides and outfitters are in the fromt row, sporting good manufacturers and jobbers have input. the state depends on license revenue to survive. In a time of dwindling numbers and a down economy the game animals are least in line. This is like two lions and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Tom it is seldom the talking points that you parrot that rule the day.

Fred Duckels 2 years, 2 months ago

Remember the character, Floyd R. Turbo, American, a Johnny Carson creation, I rest my case.

rhys jones 2 years, 2 months ago

It's all about you, Tom. God put everything here for you to shoot whenever you want.

rhys jones 2 years, 2 months ago

The less time you have to work, the more time you have to surf the forums, telling us how entitled you are.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 2 months ago

This is one of the more tiresome letters I've seen recently. A trio of pics in the Pilot, and Ms. Jeckel launches into her Chicken Little routine - and my, how the dance partners line up.

DOW & local authorities do a good job sounding the alarm re: trash security and the like. Most pay attention; some don't. That's life. We're never going to see 100% compliance, any more than you'll see me obey the speed limit 100% of the time on my way to Denver.

Fred Duckels 2 years, 2 months ago

Scott, We have bears today due to the the ballot initiative which I would not normally support. This gave the wildlife a seat at the table, without which it would be business as usual and the monetary interests would prevail. We will continue to kill the golden crane/goose.

Eric J. Bowman 2 years, 2 months ago

@scottford

Good points. Personally, I think Colorado's constitution is a joke, and it's time to replace it with a new one -- the flip side of that coin being that the result would likely horrify me given the prevailing political climate. A constitution should give guidelines, not attempt to micromanage every little thing (Colorado's is an incomprehensible 8.5MB-download disaster), and should only be changeable by the legislature (America is supposed to be a representative republic, not a direct democracy like Switzerland). I increasingly believe ballot initiatives to be a downright un-American plague, doing far more harm than good -- exhibit A: California; exhibit B: TABOR.

bisc.3cdn.net/79beb0db8d50d769bd_w9m6bx4xy.pdf

Exhibit C: medical marijuana, which no responsible Colorado legislature would have passed due to the federal ban (even with majority support of the concept) -- a practical concern which wasn't taken into account, as ballot initiatives are decided on knee-jerk emotional reaction, then dumped into the lap of legislators to somehow implement, which is no (sane) way to run a government.

Eric J. Bowman 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Annie's letter. I moved from Steamboat 12 years ago, right when bear-proof trash bins were first being discussed -- now it's a downright infestation. It's a crying-ass shame that such simple remedies pose too much inconvenience to the same residents who won't hesitate to call the police when they see a bear rummaging through their trash, to solve a problem of their own creation. The paper should have a police blotter and a bear blotter, now. Epic fail, Steamboat.