Lynette Weaver: Wrong type of grocer

I am dismayed with city planners for even considering a Vitamin Cottage grocery at the location of the old David Chase Rugs and Furniture. That is like shooting an arrow through the heart of Healthy Solutions. We don’t need that kind of competition in this small town. What we do need is a grocer at the west end of town, and not a specialty grocer, but a general grocer — like City Market or Safeway on a smaller scale.

Steamboat has two grocers at the east end of town, two natural stores in downtown, and now we could use another grocer at the west end. Curve Market, unfortunately, was premature, but now that our growth has expanded there is a definite need for a family grocery store, and not necessarily a health food store. Please, keep the city’s needs in perspective.

Lynette Weaver

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Karen Schulman 1 year, 11 months ago

I absolutely agree with Lynette. Please don't approve a Vitamin Cottage next door to Healthy Solutions!!! It would seriously hurt that wonderful store. Additionally, as Lynette mentioned, we need a grocery store west of town. We do most of our grocery shopping at City Market. Both CM and Safeway are very good stores. Maybe one of them would want to have a satellite store on the west side of town. It currently takes 40 minutes just to drive back and forth for groceries, plus time in the store. Other opinions???

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Clark's Market didn't last long on the west side, for whatever reason, high prices probably a big part of it. I concur with Karen, a reasonably priced grocery outlet on the west side would probably go over well.

Brian Kotowski 1 year, 11 months ago

I've never even heard of Healthy Solutions, until now. Lynette sounds a tad selfish (on HS's behalf, evidently). The city's a bad guy for daring to allow competition? Seriously? Should I be outraged if the city fails to send my competitors packing?

Most specialty businesses will configure their leases to avoid this kind of conflict. If HS didn't, too bad. If HS tried and couldn't, them's the breaks. This sounds exactly like the whining that ensued from Lyon's when Walgreens was approved. Ye gods.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 11 months ago

It is completely wrong for a city planning process to consider whether a proposed business should not be allowed because it is perceived to be a competitor with a local business.

Just as Walgreen's was not the end of Lyon's Drugs, the existence of a competitor does not mean the end of a local business. McDonald's didn't cause Old Town Pub to close. FM Light survived Walmart opening.

If everyone is expected to go to Vitamin Cottage instead of Healthy Solutions then there is nothing special about Healthy Solutions.

Kevin Nerney 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't care one way or the other wether Vitamin Cottage comes to town or not. I've lived for 54 years and never have been inside one and hopefully can live another 54 years without the assistance of Vitamin Cottage. What I do care about is consistency. I thought this town had a rule about no chain stores. Obviously Walgreens got by as did many chain restaurants. Did I not get the memo? If they want to put in a Vitamin Cottage, put it in Ski Time Sq. so at least that land gets used for something and I won't feel so bad about the all the jobs that were lost up there. ( no sour grapes here).

mark hartless 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with Lynette that we need a grocery store on the west side of town. Apart from that, she could not be more wrong.

As Scott said, it is completely wrong for a city planning process to consider the competition and viability of a business.

I am constantly amazed at the economic ignorance on display in this little town which fancies itself as so educated and up-to-speed. "We don't need... competition..." What? I wonder if Lynette would feel that way if all the gas stations were closed except one and it raised prices to $7/ gal?

"It would hurt that wonderful store". Really? Tell me this Karen: If that store is so "wonderful" how could another store possibly hurt it? Why would a store decide to open unless they saw profit potential? Even if you personally want to pay HS prices instead of VC prices, what entitles you (or anyone else) to prevent others, who may be on a budget, from getting healthy groceries at the best possible price? This whole thought process is elitist TO THE CORE. Others who are struggling to get by need access to these products too. What about them, Karen?

jerry carlton 1 year, 11 months ago

If we ever do get another grocery on the westside, it will have to be a major chain that will draw east siders too. I live on the west side and bought some at Clarks but they just could not compete with City and Safeway. David only beats Goliath in the Bible, not in the retail grocery world.