Yampa residents were told their drinking water again was safe to drink Tuesday after being contaminated by too much chlorine Sunday.
Public Works Director Eric Berry said the problem was caused by a valve that failed in the chlorination system, and chlorine was being fed into the system when it was not needed.
“It was more like swimming pool water than drinking water,” Berry said.
He said the state law allows for as much as 4 milligrams of chlorine per liter. Yampa usually has just more than 1 milligram per liter, but the broken valve caused it to rise to 7 milligrams per liter.
Berry said when he discovered the problem Sunday, a reverse 911 call was placed to Yampa residents. Paper notices were distributed throughout town telling people not to use water and that bottled water was available at Yampa Town Hall and the town’s shop.
“We had bottled water available the whole time,” Berry said.
Notices again were being sent to the town’s 400 residents Tuesday afternoon letting them know the water was safe to drink.
Berry said the town’s water system was flushed and the water was safe Monday night, but they had to receive approval from the state before telling residents the water was safe.
To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com