Beall Trail near Steamboat opens six weeks early

— The Bureau of Land Management announced Monday that the seasonal closure of the Emerald Mountain Special Recreation Management Area near Steamboat Springs has been lifted earlier than normal this year because of mild weather. The end of the closure means the Beall Trail is now officially open to hikers and mountain bikers. The Beall Trail starts at Cow Creek Road and winds up to the top of Emerald Mountain, where it then connects to the extensive trail network on the Steamboat Springs side of the mountain.

The majority of the Emerald Mountain Special Recreation Management Area is closed from Dec. 1 to June 30 every year to protect wintering and calving elk, according to a news release from the BLM. The closed area is bordered on the north by the Ridge Trail, which isn’t subject to the closure.

“After discussions with Colorado Parks and Wildlife, all public lands at the Emerald Mountain SRMA will be open for recreational use due to the warm weather this year,” BLM field manager Wendy Reynolds said in the news release.

For more information, call Gina Robinson at 970-826-5083.

Comments

mark hartless 1 year, 11 months ago

I wonder how many folks who protested the crane hunting issue are perfectly happy to ride their mountain bikes on wildlife habitat that's supposed to be closed for another 45 days????

Where are all the pro wildlife folks protesting this abuse of our valleys wildlife??????

How do we know for sure all the elk are gone? Shouldn't we postpone this until someone counts the herd?

One mild spring does not set a trend that we can rely on to take this unprecedented action!!

And what about the fire danger?

There might be some cranes in there too!

I'm sooooo confused...

No double-standard here! Noooooo

mark hartless 1 year, 11 months ago

What time does the protest march start? Are we gonna picket Parks and Wildlife until they see elk are more important than a trail?

Fred Duckels 1 year, 11 months ago

Mark, In your haste you forgot the sage grouse that impacts many schedules of industry, forcing delays, progress, and possible cancellation. How did this atrocity occur without adequate public input? Were all the necesay permits pulled?

Robin Craigen 1 year, 11 months ago

Seems like it's "Open Season" on mountain bikers already.

Really what is your point?

mark hartless 1 year, 11 months ago

Wildlife and it's habitat are supposedly deemed important enough to certain people that they will pitch a real fit and use all kinds of arguments to "protect" it.

But, when wildlife and habitat coincide with ski areas and mountain bike trails those protests are not nearly so common.

That seems like a double-standard to me.

THAT is my point, Robin.

mark hartless 1 year, 11 months ago

BTW, I wonder how many folks are aware that the UN has declared ski areas to be "unsustainable".

Robin Craigen 1 year, 11 months ago

BLM manages the land in question and the protections that are in place are that they get to say when they consider that the impact of mountain bikers on the trail is not in conflict with wildlife. This has nothing to do with the Mountain Bikers or any implied conflict of interest.

The timing of these decision can vary with the seasons, and in this case they have decided that it is OK. They have not decided not to manage it or to change to appease another group. Wildlife does not look at it's day-timer and say "c'mon guys let's get out of here - the bikers are coming" when that day rolls around. Wildlife moves according the seasons and it seems highly appropriate that there can be some discretion in the decision to open a trail based on what the weather is doing and whether there are any elk left in this area.

IMHO there is no abuse that I can see and that is why no-one else is whining about this.

mark hartless 1 year, 11 months ago

Everything you said about wilflife and it's management is true, Robin.

Those things are equally true in the debate about hunting cranes. If wildlife managers have it under control for Emerald Mt. they also have it under control when it comes to crane hunting, no?

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

One is an abundant pack of flora- and vehicle-destructors, giant vermin at best, while the other are rare and prehistoric birds, mighty in flight and majestic on land, possibly directly evolved from dinosaurs, which the "managers" are under pressure to "harvest" for the benefit of a very few, very hungry "sportsmen" who would like to round out their trophy collections, while kicking a few pennies into the wildlife coffers. I'm sure dolphins, whales, and Bengal tigers are simply delish, not that I'd feel right eating them.

mark hartless 1 year, 11 months ago

No, Rhys. I mean what's the diff with wildlife managers' compentency? If they are compentent to manage elk they are competent to manage cranes, no?

Robin Craigen 1 year, 11 months ago

Thanks Mark for agreeing with me.

I understand your concern about the cranes. My point was this is not about mountain bikers.

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Mark -- If I didn't answer your question in my previous post, I guess it won't get answered. It's in there. Why do I feel like I'm chasing my tail? I'm wasting my time here. Take a debate or logic class, where they will hopefully teach you to listen carefully to the opposition, so as to be able to critically analyze the points brought up. Then pay particular attention to the second half of my first sentence above.

We had a Belgian sheep dog once, who was a master at keeping you playing ball with him. Your hand would get two inches from the ball, and he'd snatch it back up again; you'd tussle for a minute, which his teeth would win... then when you got almost disgusted enough to quit, he'd drop the ball on the ground for you. Start over.

I've had more productive sessions with that dog and ball, than this discussion is turning out to be. That makes me the stupid one, right?

Robin -- Mark is not concerned about the cranes; he'd rather shoot them.

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

P.S. -- the only way you'll ever "manage" the elk is with an AK-47.

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

P.P.S. -- the next regime should have plenty of those. Not to digress.

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

But while we're on the subject... I guess it's about 6 yuans to the dollar now, and don't worry, the conversion will be brief. It'll be a peaceful takeover, more like a merger. The Chinese AK's are inferior to the Yugoslavian, however. Now to bring it back around: They might let you shoot all the cranes you want, Mark, and won't that be great?

mark hartless 1 year, 11 months ago

I already shoot all the cranes I want, Rhys.

It's the milled reciever on the AK-47's that make them better than the stamped version, not really where they are made.

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

The Slavs have better steel, is what I hear. Maybe we can get THEM to buy us out. I want a nice AK. Pesky elk.

Well my my, look what time it's getting to be. I would say I have to run, but the webinar works here, me still in my jammies. Work work, what's a guy to do? For the next little while another window will hold my attention, then maybe all day, as I play with new toys.

Sorry to disappoint, but I found a new ball. cya l8r!!

jerry carlton 1 year, 11 months ago

Rhys Did you move or you getting a lot of elk downtown? Last I heard you were watching the police patrol Lincoln Ave. Never tasted a rat, mouse, or anything considered vermin but as a member of PETA , people eating tasty animals, I would like to stand up for the taste of elk. I am not a hunter but have friends that have blessed me with elk, deer, moose, and even bear. My suggestion for bear is make chili out of it. Elk is the best, followed by moose, deer and last and least bear. Of course I realize that care of meat, bleeding, aging, nd other things count greatly but this my experience. OK up 2 to zero! Sweep! Sweep! Sweep! I would like to see Jack Nicholsons face at the end of a game 4 sweep!

rhys jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Jerry -- Ha ha you funny guy. No, those are animals from my past, before I discovered deer whistles. I'm looking down the road, so to speak, to the day I rejoin the motoring public, it may be soon. And funny you should mention it, but exactly as I walked out for a late-night smoke last night -- 1:37 AM -- on came the red lights; that's as far as somebody was going. Within a minute there were two backup cruisers on site (while the drunks got away elsewhere). We are fortunate indeed to be so well-protected.

I had a friend and brief roommate who was a meatcutter at OK Meats, learning much about the anatomy and proper care of game (and all) animals, knowledge which I envy to this day. It's not that I have anything against eating game, or fowl, have done it all my life. It's just that, maybe then I'd know how to prevent it from getting as tough as my belt, which is my general experience.

Go Thunder!! I'd love a sweep. The Spurs have one going too. BEAT L.A.!!!