Jim Winter: The Christian vote

How might a Christian vote for U.S. president in 2012?

First, a Christian is someone who accepts and tries to live by the beliefs and teachings of the Holy Bible.

President Barack Obama endorses same-sex marriage, which defies the Holy Bible. Mitt Romney is a declared Mormon. The Mormon church has a checkered past but its website affirms both the Holy Bible (written by hundreds of authors guided by God) and the Book of Mormon (written by one man, Joseph Smith). I believe that the Book of Mormon, even though it is said to affirm the Holy Bible, merely muddies the water.

I see us with one candidate who is clearly not a Christian and one candidate who may be but is not clearly Christian. Therefore, a Christian does not have a clear choice of supporting a Christian candidate. With a significant majority of U.S. citizens claiming to be Christian, this is a warning call. For Christians, it is time to unite and be heard.

So, lacking a clearly Christian candidate, how might a Christian vote? I believe that we should reflect on the qualities that made the United States a great nation originally: the demand for individual freedom, the insistence on equal rights, the nurturing of individual spirit, bold acceptance of individual responsibility by all citizens and the expectation that hard work and determination would yield rewards.

How have we deteriorated to become a nation whose citizens expect to be cared for by their government from cradle to grave? How have we yielded our freedom to a government that regulates our every move? This has happened because politicians have used our own tax money as bait to lure us to dependency.

We must get back on the path that led to greatness. Which candidate do you feel can at least start nudging us in the right direction? For me, that candidate is Mitt Romney. Who knows, maybe he will one day become clearly Christian.

Jim Winter

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Scott Wedel 2 years, 5 months ago

This was printed?!?

A letter which claims that Mormons are not Christians?

What next? Letters from racists saying they'd vote for Obama because he isn't Black enough to be hated?

Scott Wedel 2 years, 5 months ago

How might an American Christian vote for President?

First, an American who respects the founding principles of this country would not care about the religious beliefs of any candidate. An American Christian with an understanding of history would recognize that this country was formed when other countries had wars between Catholics and Protestants. And that one of the greatest early achievements of the colonies was to respect other people's religions.

Second, an American Christian with integrity would vote for President no different than any other citizen. They would consider the candidates' political views and character, and vote for the person they believe would be best for this country.

Lastly, I have no idea how things have deteriorated so badly in this country that a religious bigot is allowed to spew his hateful logic which starts off with the assumption that American Christians should only consider fellow Christian when casting a vote. So Jews, Moslems, Hindus, atheists and other non-Christians are automatically disqualified by at least one American. But things have deteriorated so badly in this country that there is a newspaper willing to print a letter from someone that is willing to judge two candidates religious beliefs. And goes on to judge one candidate's religion as insufficiently Christian, and judge the actions of the other candidate as insufficiently Christian. What a disgrace!

John St Pierre 2 years, 5 months ago

Mr Winter,

1st question who's Bible???? Catholic, King James, Mormom quite a few versions out there....

Perhaps you should ask Mr Romney and his "church" (and I use that quite Loosely) about what happen not to far from here.... its called the Mountain Meadows Massacre. thats where the leaders of the Mormon church ordered the execution of 127 Christian Men women and children from Arkansas on 9/11/1857... just a few years ago (2007) the LDS church held a rememberance ceremony at the site... but refused to allow a christian cross to be erected.... whenever one has been it has always been removed.....

Not looking to start a religious war here but before you begin throwing stones about Obama's religious basis your "Christian Candidate" should explain his religions beliefs........... curious who should a person of Jewish, Hindu, Buddhism, persuasion vote for??? oh yea I forgot their not christian either,, guess they don;t count.

Mr Winters I guess you have forgotten the reason the Pilgrims left England in the 1st place..... it was for religious freedom after all the were being burned at the stake for not being Christian memebers of the Church of England....

I would also like to ask to what possible reason would the Pilot publish such an article?????????? I guess we'll be soon be reading about getting a Christian army together and head for the middle east for a good old fashion crusade... is there a Templar Knight group here I can join?????

Lura Gerhart 2 years, 5 months ago

Like many others, I've become interested in my genealogy and have been researching on Ancestry.com. I was surprised to learn that a Swiss family of 8 left in the early 1700s because they refused to follow Catholic teachings. Another family left France because their entire village was being burned for refusing Catholicism. The other side was just a bunch of adventurers, I think. The point is, they all came here because they knew they could have the freedom to worship as they chose, not what the government chose for them. This country was founded by people who did NOT want religion involved in government. Ironically, the Republican party touts freedom yet denounces those who are not Christian.

Please, please, let's vote religion out of office.

jerry carlton 2 years, 5 months ago

Well there is one thing we all have in common, one day we will all die and know who is right, the Christians or Pagans. Before all you Pagans are insulted and go ballistic, look up the definition of Pagan in Websters dictionary and you will find it is not an insult.

John St Pierre 2 years, 5 months ago

Tom,

You are so correct.... Man made religion... and millions and millions have died as a result thru time... and still do today......

It is the "right" that has made religion a political issue year after year,,,, we are suppose to be a country of religious freedom.... but it seems that as long as that religion is mine your free to practice.....

Does gay marriage really have any impact on anyones daily life??? Does it impact my marriage to my wife or yours??? Does it impact your work commute or your job?

NO!!! Why do we continue to go off on these tangents telling every one how to live while there are real issues that do impact our daily lives.......... lets get focused everyone!!!!!

rhys jones 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm flying in Winchester cathedral. All religion has to have its day Expressions on the face of the Saviour Made me say I can't stay.

Open up the gates of the church and let me out of here! Too many people have lied in the name of Christ For anyone to heed the call. So many people have died in the name of Christ That I can't believe it all.

-- Graham Nash

Scott Wedel 2 years, 5 months ago

I am still stunned that the newspaper printed it.

A newspaper has editorial control and why they would print the ideas of a religious bigot is beyond me. Just because a newspaper can print the ideas of racists, religious bigots and other hateful speech does not make it right.

Nor does it mean that advertisers should be supporting a newspaper that prints such garbage.

mark hartless 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes, many people lie in the name of Christ. The rest lie in their own.

"Please, please let's vote religion out of office". Yes, let's do that. It has worked so well for the public schools...

How many hundreds of millions died in Stalin's and Mao's superior non-religious culture, Rhys?

One last thought, I would go along with getting rid of religion in government if we could get rid of ALL of them... including environmentalism.

bill schurman 2 years, 5 months ago

I'll vote for Obama, Richie Rich is a cartoon joke,

Scott Wedel 2 years, 5 months ago

Tom, It is not right for government to suppress speech. That does not mean it is right for the newspaper to print every stupid bigoted letter. Letters to the editor from the American Nazi Party are also supposed to be printed?

It is not censorship for a newspaper to not print a letter. They make lots of choices every day on what to print which are also decisions on what doesn't get printed.

Censorship is trying to remove what someone has printed or control what others have a right to print. It would be improper censorship if SB City was so offended by this sort of letter that they appointed a city employee to supervise what the paper printed.

mark hartless 2 years, 5 months ago

I commend Jim for standing up for his beliefs. When it comes to the comment about one candidate who is clearly not a christian, I do not think Jim is alone.

I also commend the Pilot for printing the article. We need to hear from all sides. The man had something to say and the local paper was absolutely right to print it. Yes' I would even support printing other, more radical letters from all sides.

Are we or are we not grown-ups with the ability to reason?

Best part: With just the slighest prod the "tolerance" crowd regularly proves the fallacy of that self confered title and today is no different.

jerry carlton 2 years, 5 months ago

Scott Wedel You have been really upset with the newspaper since it quit allowing anonymous posts. Quit reading the Pilot, quit posting like you promised to do, and your blood pressure will go down.

Stan Zuber 2 years, 5 months ago

Man also made money. That's a whole other subject.

Fred Duckels 2 years, 5 months ago

It is interesting that the evangelicals supported Santorum, a Catholic and the Catholics supported Romney a Mormon. I'm not a mormon but have observed them for a long time and I would feel very comfortable with Romney.

kathy foos 2 years, 5 months ago

markhartless is right...Freedom of Speech .All sides should be represented .All of our comments are personal opinions and should be taken as such.Personally I would never vote for someone for that specific reason.In fact a party has to earn my vote.I can go either way.I've been a republican for a long time,but don't like Romney and the attitude of that party about clean air and water issues,they madly favor oil and gas industry at the expense of water ,air wildlife and people.Obama seem's to have learned a thing or two during the Gulf oil disaster and the offshore drilling,these are most pressing to me.Development can happen for oil and gas,but safely with the EPA calling the shot's.It will be two years till the EPA makes the oil industry conform to the better safer drilling practices.What will be destroyed before that happen's?