2012 Sailors baseball schedule
- March 10: Game 1: Denver East 2, Steamboat 1; Game 2: Denver East 13, Steamboat 1
- March 16: Steamboat 8, Middle Park 1
- March 17: Steamboat 12, Glenwood Springs 2
- March 17: Summit 5, Steamboat 3
- March 24: Game 1: Glenwood Springs 3, Steamboat 1; Game 2: Steamboat 17, Glenwood Springs 3
- March 31: Steamboat 5, Delta 2
- March 31: Delta 6, Steamboat 1
- April 14: Game 1: Steamboat 12, Paonia 9; Game 2: Steamboat 12, Paonia 5
- April 21: Game 1: Steamboat 6, Eagle Valley 3; Game 2: Steamboat 6, Eagle Valley 3
- May 1: Game 1: Steamboat 7, Moffat County 3; Game 2: Moffat County 13, Steamboat 7
- May 5: Game 1: Palisade 15, Steamboat 5; Game 2: Palisade 9, Steamboat 2
The Steamboat Springs High School baseball team lost a pair of games Saturday, falling both times in a season-opening series against Denver East. One was a tight, well-pitched game and one was an error-filled rout.
The Sailors fell, 2-1, and 13-1.
“Given the fact that Saturday was the first time since the end of last summer that we’ve seen a fly ball, ground ball on grass, live pitching and baseball outside of a gym — I am extremely proud of the guys,” coach Rob Fitzhugh wrote in an email. “Our effort level never waived, and our attitude was excellent the entire day. This team certainly has its best baseball to come.”
A strong showing by Tyler Brown kept Steamboat in the first game. He struck out eight. Justin Ditter scored on a Michael Yost single in the seventh inning to get the Sailors on the board.
Brandon Miller scored when Thomas Kelly came up with a single in the second game.
“While the second game got away from us a little bit, due to too many errors behind starting pitcher Tom Lyon, overall we showed that once we get rolling and correct a few minor issues, we should be able to compete with anyone on our schedule,” Fitzhugh said.