Jeff Troeger: Dangerous words

I thought Eugene Buchanan’s “Ski with a pocket radar gun” column, although funny in a “Jackass” sort of way, was over the line.

It’s already a dangerous year at the mountain with little snow, a rock-hard base and lots of surprises. I don’t think publicizing and glamorizing a technology (at a ski area yet) that encourages dangerously excessive speed and selfish indifference to the safety of others is a good idea. My guess is Ski Patrol wasn’t amused Friday morning.

People, of course, will find out about the app through friends, social networking and the Internet. But the Pilot & Today doesn’t need to accelerate the viral process.

Or maybe the article hit me wrong because I twisted my back and can’t ski right now. And yes, when I’m better, I’ll fire up my Ski Tracks app, see what it says and try to resist its implied message to go further and ever faster.

Jeff Troeger

Steamboat Springs

Comments

lessworkmoreskiing 2 years, 8 months ago

Even though this is a fun app, I'm sorry but you did not go 77 mph down lower Valley View. Or do 80-some down Heavenly Daze. Some of the fastest skiers in the world do about 90-100mph on REAL mountains with REAL vertical in places other than FlatBoat. And where is your fancy race suit? Maybe you and your buddy can hit on tourists at the bar by showing them your schweet iphone app and how fast you went, there is no doubt they will be uber impressed. Too short of a distance to be accurate. Sorry, you guys just aren't that cool.

Phoebe Hackman 2 years, 8 months ago

The primary definition of "dork" in most dictionaries is slang for foolish, silly, socially inept, etc. Ditto for "weenie".

That said, here's a fun fact: "1. The blue whale's penis, or dork, is the largest that ever existed. The average size for an adult male is 5m (15ft). The testicules weigh 10kg (22 pounds). The blue whale can produce between 3 - 20 gallons of sperm during its mating season. 2. A dork is a blue whale's penis. In today's slang, the word dork is used as an insult (geek, nerd) and many do not know where it comes from."

yvb, you're bored and have resorted to nitpicking. Go feed some birds. :-)

JustSomeJoe 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow, before Eugene's article and introduction to Ski Tracks, I didn't realize I could ski fast on Heavenly Daze. Now that I can track my speed accurately, I will start skiing fast and forget the code!

Lesswork - Ski Tracks uses GPS. Perhaps you should do a little research on GPS accuracy and GPS applications before saying something like triangulation with 4+ GPS satellites at near speed of light needs some sort of distance ramp up before becoming accurate. Does it need a quarter mile to report velocity accurately, half a mile?

YVB - you definitely give see you ski competition for the most nonsensical posts.

1999 2 years, 8 months ago

I think it's pretty dangerous to encourage faster skiing.

Maybe Eugene could also advertise an app for how many drinks one could swill at the Stoker and see how fast one could go?

People especially kids are serverly injured or even killed by reckless skiers.

please don't encourage thsi.

Eugene,.....as a father....you should be appalled by fast reckless skiers who could EASILY kill your children

exduffer 2 years, 8 months ago

JSJ-Most of the sofisticated GPS units that I have worked with (not your Garminesque types) need about 15 minutes of stationary time to become accurate in the first 5 minutes of use. Seeing as it takes about 45 seconds to to do a flyby of Billy, I would also doubt the accuracy of this APP.

Matt Helm 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't think he was encouraging any reckless skiing. You people need to get real lives and stop bashing every little thing that someone writes about!

@yampavalleyboy... Euge was the editor of Paddler Magazine for years when it was here in Steamboat and has had books published. Just because your vocabulary is limited doesn't give you the right to trash others because you can't understand all the four letter words...

1999 2 years, 8 months ago

so hydro life...you can trash people but others can't? you can bash what others say but no one else can?

gotcha

it's called an opinion dummy...thats what these boards are..... opinions. people expressing their opinions!!!! OMG

everyone has one....seems like even you.

Matt Helm 2 years, 8 months ago

1999 unlike you, I did not call anyone any names. You seem to comment on just about every subject. Your opinion must be very important to you to be offended by my comment to SOMEONE ELSE! You're probably just upset about this whole subject because you can't ski very fast. Those of us that can are hopefully in more control than most gapers on the hill, and know when it is safe to ride fast and when it is not. And did you really use OMG...?

1999 2 years, 8 months ago

"hopefully" in more control. Thats the thing...right? I was at the stoker yesterday getting water and I saw probably 15 -20 people lined up at the bar getting drunk at 11:30 am. how do you suppose they get down?? "hopefully" they are in more control than the other non drunk skiers. right??? "hopefully?"

I'm not offended by what you said ..you have a right to your opinion just as everyone else has a right to their opinion on this OPINION board.

And you did call someone a name...gaper. OMG!

I mean really...OMG!

1999 2 years, 8 months ago

so I reread your post and yes while you don't call people names in your first and second post (except for Gaper) you do go to great lengths to insult people.

so if being passive aggressive makes you feel better...have at it.

Scott Wedel 2 years, 8 months ago

I am just waiting for Ski Corp to use the data collected in someone's app to justify pulling their ski pass.

BTW, most of these modern devices use more than GIS to determine location and movement - they also track cell phone towers and wifi signals to determine their location and movement.

rhys jones 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't need no stinking app to tell me my old Vipers hit 60 on the lower Daze yesterday.

The Ski Patrol had no problem with it, since my new sharp edges drive like rails, and he was the only potential victim in sight.

Speed, in itself, is not unsafe. "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." -- Cat In The Hat

Matt Helm 2 years, 8 months ago

You must be a gaper if you think think I was calling anyone a name. I was just saying that everyone keeps bashing Eugene for trying to write enjoyable articles. Still usuing OMG??? Must be a gaper...